Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015760 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #885 on: March 17, 2012, 11:40:40 am »
If I was the manager, I would insist staff deliver orders to customers' tables in an attempt to reduce the queue.

Sacrilege Bri - You would be utterly destroying a long established and well respected British Tradition - that of QUEUING!    L0L     L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #886 on: March 17, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »
If I was the manager, I would insist staff deliver orders to customers' tables in an attempt to reduce the queue.

I so agree with you Bri.

I’m afraid you’ve got me started on this one. It should be in the niggles section I suppose but I hate self service.
It has become the norm for coffee shops to get you to queue twice. Once to order and pay and then again to wait to one side until the drink is ready.
All this when all you want to do is sit down and rest your weary feet.
When you are finally given your drink you often have to find your way through tables piled high with other people’s mess. Then you find a table, clear it yourself, wipe the crumbs away from the seat and hope you don’t tread in anything too hideous on the floor.
This happened to me two days ago at Pret a Manger at Cheshire Oaks but also guilty are Costa, Caffe Nero, Starbucks, M&S etc etc.
However it isn’t just this kind of establishment that seems to think the customer should be helping them out on the service side.
My other bug bare is buffet breakfasts. I have stayed at some expensive hotels in my time where I have been obliged to assist them by getting up and down from from seat to collect food from a buffet. The other problem with this is that the “hot food” rarely is.
I travel a lot on my own and buffet meal tables are a logistical nightmare for lone travellers. If you get up to get something, then by the time you get back the table has been cleared because they thought you’d gone.
Another habit I hate when you are on your own is the one they use in the Imperial Hotel for  lunch and the Mostyn Gallery. Their system is you sit down at a table to look at the menu and then you get up from your nice comfy seat in the window with a sea view to place your order at the bar/ counter. You give them your table number only to return to find a lovely old couple sitting in your seat!
Sorry to go on but thank you forum for letting me get this off my chest! GGRRR!!!!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #887 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »
I have to agree with you there hollins, we have never offered a buffet breakfast, there are plenty of things on the menu ( that's another matter--places who have no menu, but stand and rattle off what they are offering) and after people have made their choices they are served whilst I get on and freshly cook their choice of main course. So many places cook their food at some ungodly hour and either re-heat it or keep it warm. The plates are too hot to handle, so the food is served hot !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #888 on: March 17, 2012, 03:39:54 pm »
I must come and stay at your place. I would like it!
Well done you.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #889 on: March 17, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »
Thanks ! ;D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #890 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:19 am »

I’m afraid you’ve got me started on this one. It should be in the niggles section I suppose but I hate self service.
It has become the norm for coffee shops to get you to queue twice. Once to order and pay and then again to wait to one side until the drink is ready.

EDITED to save bandwidth!

The best place for quality food at a reasonable price and with (normally) fantastic cheerful service is any of the multitude of "Greasy Spoon" cafes around the country.    Transport drivers don't tolerate crap service, or crap food or astronomic prices!   Plenty of excellent establishments all over the country that I could recommend or take you to!    ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #891 on: March 18, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »
Any locally, Yorkie?

Caffe Nero looks very smart with its new canopy blinds:

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #892 on: March 18, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »
We had coffees for only £1 each at Fountains earlier and a free read of the Sunday Newspapers.

No queueing and we saved over £3 if we had visited Caffe Nero.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #893 on: March 18, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »
Any locally, Yorkie?

The ones I know tend not to be "in" town.  There is one on the A5 at Cerrydydruddion that I have been into a few times and it has always been freshly cooked and good value.   The car and motor cycle groups tend to stop there and they are quite fussy!

Of course there is also the PONDEROSA on the Horseshoe Pass but that is not really a "greasy spoon".  Had lunch there last week and it was a good portion of steak and ale pie with chips and peas for only £5.50.   Again it is a popular venue for the cars and bikers.   About 30 of my car club will be ending our next hoon around North Wales at the Ponderosa, good place to finish a great driving day.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #894 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »
I see on Oscar that Take A Break have withdrawn their application to extend through into Hoosons Corner.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #895 on: March 20, 2012, 02:40:54 pm »
I see on Oscar that Take A Break have withdrawn their application to extend through into Hoosons Corner.

Wonder if he knows why? :-X

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #896 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
Maybe they read on a local Forum that there are already 1,000's of coffee places in and around Llandudno!
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #897 on: March 22, 2012, 08:50:50 am »
One place I'd never go to (before this news came to light)...

A MUM tucking in to a takeaway meal ended up with a bleeding gum after it was cut by an inch-long piece of wire which had broken off a frying basket.

Chelsea McEvoy, 20, had just spent £10.40 on food at the Wing Wah Chinese takeaway in Craig y Don, Llandudno, on Monday.

Ms McEvoy, of Lloyd Street, Llandudno, said: “We were celebrating getting a new car – a Volkswagen Polo – and decided to go to the chippy.

“I had chips and gravy in a pot. But the gravy was very dark.

“So when I poured it on to the chips, I didn’t see the wire at first.

“It wedged in the top of my mouth and cut my gum.

“I put my hand in my mouth and saw there was blood.”

She said: “It looks like a staple – it’s awful.

“It’s lucky I didn’t swallow it and it rip my insides. I was so upset and angry. I’m registered disabled. I suffer from epilepsy.

“My daughter Courtney, who is nearly 16 months old, could have swallowed it. I’m so glad I’d just put my little girl to bed.”

Ms McEvoy, who lives with partner Ashley, 23, returned to the chippy, which is about a mile from her home, to complain.

She said the shop assistant said the “chip pan had broken”, gave her a refund and said “Sorry, mate”.

But Ms McEvoy was still unhappy and has now reported the incident to Conwy County Council and urged food hygiene officials to take action.

Yesterday Ken Chan, 52, of the Wing Wah on Mostyn Avenue, Craig y Don, apologised.

He said the wire came off a basket during cooking and admitted it could have been a “danger”.

He added that he is “very sorry”.

Conwy County Council is looking into the matter. A spokesman said: “We can confirm that the Regulatory Services Department has received the complaint and will be investigating.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/03/22/north-wales-mum-found-wire-in-chips-55578-30597250/

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #898 on: March 22, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »
Im Confused there are pages missing last time I looked i was reading page 50 something

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #899 on: March 22, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »
The discussion about Shops has been separated off into a different thread:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1490.0.html

$good$