Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016316 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2040 on: February 15, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »
The world has gone bonkers! You pay to eat in a restaurant, yet have to cook it yourself? Do they let you wash up too!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2041 on: February 15, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »
Ha ha... no, of course you have to pay extra to be allowed to do that.  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2042 on: February 15, 2014, 06:03:00 pm »
I hear that Kwik Fit are considering a similar offer, you drive in... tell them what's wrong with the car, and they give you some spanners and a tire-iron!  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2043 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
Erindoors has just cooked our meal in our own kitchen, will we need to pay this Characters place? :twoface:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2044 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:41 pm »
Ha ha... no, of course you have to pay extra to be allowed to do that.  :laugh:
_))* _))*

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #2045 on: February 15, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »
At least u can't complain if the food is not very nice they r in the clear no complaints from the paying public that's the way to do it .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2046 on: February 16, 2014, 08:25:02 pm »
Popped into Porters in Station Road, Colwyn Bay, recently. Was impressed by the effort that had gone to the restoration of one of Colwyn Bay's most interesting buildings. We only had drinks, but the menu looked ok. Certainly worth a try.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2047 on: February 16, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »
Is it being run and managed by former alcoholics and drug users?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #2048 on: February 17, 2014, 08:55:02 am »
Popped into Porters in Station Road, Colwyn Bay, recently. Was impressed by the effort that had gone to the restoration of one of Colwyn Bay's most interesting buildings. We only had drinks, but the menu looked ok. Certainly worth a try.

Myself and Mrs FA went there a few weeks ago.  I had the bacon, pancakes and maple syrup stacker and she had the breakfast bap.  Both were very nice and not all that expensive and have no hesitation in recommending it.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #2049 on: February 17, 2014, 09:09:27 am »
Is it being run and managed by former alcoholics and drug users?

I believe that part of the deal is that they provide work experience for ex-users but it's not being run and managed by them.  I don't know who the manager/manageress is but normally with these sort of social enterprises it will be someone with proper catering qualifications and experience.  The ex-users will most likely just do a bit of kitchen portering or pot washing to give them something to put on their CVs.  Based on my one visit there so far I'd say it was very professionally run and I didn't see a single waitress injecting heroin or swilling White Lightning during the half hour we were there ZXZ.

I know also that they were recently advertising two jobs under the "Jobs Growth Wales" scheme for which applicants had to be aged 16-24 and unemployed....but there was no requirement that they had to be ex-alcoholics.

Emo Philips

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2050 on: February 17, 2014, 12:10:20 pm »
These days, it is fascinating to hear about such a wide range of projects seemingly being eligible for public funding.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #2051 on: February 17, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »
As Ghandi may or may not once have said "The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members."  We should therefore be proud that within our community we have places like Cafe CAIS and Porter's which offer some sort of opportunity, however limited it might be, for people who are desperate to get their lives back on track.  Personally I'd support that far more than wasting money on metallic skips at the beach or hanging coloured lightbulbs from lampposts for a couple of weeks each December. 

Emo Philips

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2052 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:40 pm »
I agree with overweight Andrew. $good$

Nice to see public money heping people directly rather than the millions they piss up the wall in our national joke of a theatre/abondoned arena.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2053 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:38 am »
An American style diner wants to open a new restaurant and drive thru at the site of a derelict pub in Denbighshire – creating up to 40 jobs.

Harvey’s New York Bar and Grill in Llandudno has targeted an expansion to an eyesore site in Rhuddlan that has lain empty for nearly a decade.

They want to demolish the existing Marsh Warden pub. Off Station Road, and replace it with a modern restaurant.

An application has been lodged with Denbighshire council.

If successful, the company hopes to open the new restaurant by the end of summer.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2054 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »
I read this article this morning so just in case the ban spreads to Wales here is a photo of my delicious sea bass lunch at the Black Lion, Llanfair TH.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/10648419/Is-it-wrong-to-photograph-your-food-in-restaurants.html