Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016201 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2175 on: May 19, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »
And there were several posts immediately after the original link that rather disparaged the principles of the rating system....  yet no response to the last Daily Posts article.... Interesting.... 

Not sure why you find it 'interesting'; it's fairly common for topics to dip, especially when a number of points have already been made, none of which the Daily Post article actually addresses.

The Daily Post's latter article actually puts all the points into perspective and gives the rating system the credibility it deserves. However, I have actually eaten street food in India, Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia many times and love it. I once enjoyed a plateful of fresh prawns grilled over a small brazier at the side of the road by a street vendor whilst enjoying a cold beer in Bangkok. I was contemplating another delicious plateful when I realised that the prawns were being supplied by youngsters on the other side of the road fishing through a grid into the storm drain. Once in KL I was enjoying grilled spicy chicken whilst watching a rat have a tug-of-war with a cat over a piece of offal. The rat was bigger by a factor of 2, but the cat won.

Some of the finest Asian food I have tasted has been from street vendors and shacks on the beach. Happy days.

The other factor to consider is that in Asia, a far greater proportion of food is eaten out; some living accommodation for office workers I saw in Bangkok was built without kitchen facilities, and people exist on street food which has a very fast turn-over, getting their breakfast on the way to work and supper on the way home. The vendors rely on repeat trade and the food has to be good, fresh, and cheap, and there is a huge variety to choose from. I rather doubt that a hygiene rating would be of any use there.

For one of the best curries available in the UK, try the Ghurkha Restaurant in Brecon, owned by a former Ghurkha and his wife. 

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2176 on: May 19, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »
Bosun wrote: For one of the best curries available in the UK, try the Ghurkha Restaurant in Brecon, owned by a former Ghurkha and his wife. 

Or one could even go to Veraswami's in Swallow Street, London!   $drink$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2177 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:42 pm »
..... or The Kashmir in Bradford.

I would be surprised if it got more than 0 out 5 on the hygiene ratings, but its fantastic and I have never been ill!

I once ate prawns in Bangladesh on my first night of a business trip.   I was so ill, I spent the next 5 days in my hotel room,,, as I had turned into a human liquidiser.   Disgusting but true.    I wanted to die on most of those days.

I ate in that Chinese buffet which occupied the ground floor of The Clarence in Llandudno.   It had ZERO hygiene rating, but I ate there about 20 times and was never ill    Luck of the draw eh?   I was gutted when it closed down.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2178 on: May 20, 2014, 07:10:25 am »
The Daily Post's latter article actually puts all the points into perspective and gives the rating system the credibility it deserves.

In fact it only gives an account of the system, but singularly fails to address any potential shortcomings in its implementation. Or are you arguing that the current system is perfect?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2179 on: May 22, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
A Birthday Lunch at Hickorys Steakhouse!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2180 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:35 pm »
Wow! I hope you are both hungry and happy birthday. :__)+

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2181 on: May 22, 2014, 08:37:44 pm »
Happy Birthday  +}}{--
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2182 on: May 22, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »
Happy birthday. The "can" on the right of the photo - that really took me back. I had completely blotted these out of my memory, the last time I even thought of them is well over 60 years ago. We all had one when I was in the R.A.F

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2183 on: May 22, 2014, 08:47:44 pm »
Happy birthday. The "can" on the right of the photo - that really took me back. I had completely blotted these out of my memory, the last time I even thought of them is well over 60 years ago. We all had one when I was in the R.A.F

Mess Tins Mike, I had a set when I joined up in the mid sixties, 'Per Ardua ad Astra'.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2184 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:25 pm »
A couple of important messages for Dave.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2185 on: May 23, 2014, 09:35:24 am »

Mess Tins Mike, I had a set when I joined up in the mid sixties, 'Per Ardua ad Astra'.      $angry$

I'm livid!   I was in the RAF and never saw a mess tin, let alone given one!    >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #2186 on: May 23, 2014, 09:40:16 am »
If anyone wants a mess tin of their own I happened to notice that they were selling them in Poundworld in Colwyn Bay the other day.  I'm not sure how much they cost, you'd need to check with a member of staff  :roll:.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2187 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:46 am »
 _))* _))*

Doh !!!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #2188 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:17 am »
I spent my first three years in the Air Force living under canvas so almost everything I did revolved around a mess tin you'd be surprised what you can do with them

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #2189 on: May 23, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
Noticed that the spirit group the owners on chef and brewer wacky warehouse and other pub are advertising for front of house and kitchen staff at their wacky warehouse at the old station hotel Llandudno junction wonder if that means j w lees have sold on the business to the spirit group . And whether the junction is in for a wacky warehouse anyone got any gossip.