Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1026845 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2610 on: February 21, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »
Does anyone happen to know where the tapas bar is going to open in Conwy? Or any other details?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2611 on: February 21, 2015, 04:54:28 pm »
Does anyone happen to know where the tapas bar is going to open in Conwy? Or any other details?

In the old Bank building, on the corner just below Lancaster Square.  Open by Easter I've been told.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2612 on: February 22, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »
La Taverna was as  busy as usual last night when we had our meal there.
 Starters     Bruschetta al Pomodoro
Main           Tagliatelle con Pancetta e Funghi
Dessert      Coppa di Ciliege  Vanilla and cherry ice-cream with cherries, maraschino liqueur and whipped cream
 It won't be long before we are back there again because it's such a lovely dining experience and very reasonable too.      $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2613 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:10 pm »
Can anyone confirm, or otherwise, that the Groes Inn is for sale? I cannot suggest that I am surprised if it is, I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the food the last time I ate there, and appalled at the attitude of the so-called 'manageress'.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2614 on: March 03, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2615 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:45 pm »
Work progressing in,Vollams,in Parade and in the old Victoria wines next to Starbucks,also Foetes confirm new ice-cream parlour in old Bettys fabrics,91 Mostyn st still under offer.
Did i miss anything.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2616 on: March 06, 2015, 08:01:31 pm »
Yes you did Wrex.  Work seems to be going on in the former National Trust Offices at Drummond House, Trinity Square.  Anyone know what is going on there ?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2617 on: March 06, 2015, 09:05:40 pm »
As to the Groes, yes it is for sale.  Obviously I cannot comment about Bosuns bad experience. But for what it is worth, the present owners have been there for many many years. I think upwards of twenty. So presumably they must have been doing something right for some of their clients.
  Of course, there is the chance that they have been doing it right for 20 years but have decided they had had enough and let their standards slip, and Bosun suffered. I do know that it has never been a cheap and cheerful type of inn. More the type where the customer had to be on his best behaviour. Don't be offended Bosun, I am sure your behaviour was exemplary . It's just that I am surprised by what you experienced.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2618 on: March 06, 2015, 09:57:58 pm »
I must admit that on the times I've been to the Groes I've always enjoyed the place and thought that it was well run.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2619 on: March 08, 2015, 02:30:35 pm »
We went to the Groes as guests of friends who were visiting from abroad and quiet frankly, it was embarrassing. When we arrived, early evening and in plenty of time for the table we had booked, the 'manageress', as I understood her to be, was rude and bossy, refusing to allow us to have a drink at the bar before our meal, quickly ushering us to a table. She gave us the menu's, and then stood over us at the table wanting to know our order there and then. When we asked for a moment to decided, she flounced off. To cut the story short, the food was to say the least, very poor and 'canteen' quality. As I said, as invited guests for the meal, it was embarrassing. The service was chronic with the rest of the staff having the same awful attitude and as we were leaving, I tried to discreetly speak to the only member of staff left in the restaurant (although people were still dining) but he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off. I haven't checked Trip Advisor recently, and I am loath to leave poor reviews, but on this occasion I did, and at that time there were numerous poor reviews. I cannot say that I am surprised that it's for sale.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2620 on: March 08, 2015, 04:00:05 pm »
It has been interesting to read these comments on here about the Groes. I have only been there once and that was about 8 or 9 years ago before we came to live here. I took my parents there for a meal as we were staying in one of the cottages on the Bodnant estate at the time.
On that visit I felt we were being processed rather than served and the food came so quickly I even wondered how they could have microwaved it in the time.
Since then I have read favourable reviews on here so I thought I must have just been unlucky but now I am not so sure.
My experience certainly put me off ever going back.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2621 on: March 08, 2015, 07:25:23 pm »
I must be sad as i never go out of myway to eat outside of town as i think we have enought good restaurants to support as it is,yet if nobody came into town to eat we would have far less,im an oddity i know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2622 on: March 09, 2015, 07:19:36 pm »
We went to the Groes as guests of friends who were visiting from abroad and quiet frankly, it was embarrassing.

Sorry to read you had a less than perfect meal at the Groes, Bosun. Next time try the Queens Head at Glanwydden. Not so far to travel and you will always have a positive Dining experience. After all it was one of William and Kates choices when they were living on Anglesey.

http://www.queensheadglanwydden.co.uk/   $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2623 on: March 09, 2015, 07:54:13 pm »
Thank you Blongb, the Queens Head at Glanwydden is relatively close to me in Deganwy and I have enjoyed their consistency of both quality and service for a couple of years. There are actually numerous other decent local restaurants; the Pen-y-Bryn also has the added attraction to me that it also keeps a very good pint. Deganwy also has Nikki Ipps and Jai Ho, both excellent.

Unfortunately, we were guests at the Groes, it was booked out of kindness by friends without us knowing, I would have certainly suggested the Queens, PyB or even the Mulberry if asked.

The Castle View in Deganwy should take lessons from the Pen-y-Bryn or the Queens; does anyone know if is it still for sale?

PS W & K also frequented the White Eagle at Rhoscolyn. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2624 on: March 09, 2015, 08:52:09 pm »
We used to go to Casanova's in Llandudno on a regular basis, the atmosphere and food were both good but it was overpriced and we haven't been there for many years.   The Castle in Conwy was the same and we have avoided that place for the same reason.We do like Signatures in Conwy and that is not cheap either but when you compare value for money then it leaves the other two standing and if you join the Signatures club you do get a discount on the price.
We don't mind paying for the food and service but we don't like to be taken for mugs either.