Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016271 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2985 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »
I suspect the main reason for the closure of the Puffin cafe is its location. I can't see the attraction of sitting in a cafe overlooking a busy dual carriageway.

Not exactly sure that's the reason; you can't sit in many motorway service stations and have views like those across the Strait at Anglesey and Puffin Island......

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Neil

« Reply #2986 on: January 08, 2016, 09:26:45 pm »
I tried it once and it seemed below average for a Cafe, and the farm shop wasn't very good, it would need to be well above average in both aspects to prosper in that position.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2987 on: January 13, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
It was a beautiful morning today when we were shopping in Llandudno but just after midday, the weather changed and became colder and very wet so we were glad to get to the Toad in Colwyn Bay for one of their £5,00 lunch meals.
We had the stir fried chicken in ginger, garlic & sweet chilli sauce, served with wild rice or hand cut chips and it was as delicious as usual.  What we like about the place apart from the food is how well it is run with the pleasant and friendly staff, and the location just adds to the experience.     $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2988 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:42 pm »
Called in at 'Two the Square' Conwy this afternoon. As usual, the food and coffee in this family owned and run café was really excellent and reasonably priced, I highly recommend it. I wasn't aware that they opened in the evening for dinner, but based on the quality of their daytime food and service, I fully intend to treat Mrs B to an evening meal here in the near future. 

It's a pleasure to be able to deservedly recommend a local family business.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2989 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:45 am »
Called in at 'Two the Square' Conwy this afternoon. As usual, the food and coffee in this family owned and run café was really excellent and reasonably priced, I highly recommend it. I wasn't aware that they opened in the evening for dinner, but based on the quality of their daytime food and service, I fully intend to treat Mrs B to an evening meal here in the near future. 

It's a pleasure to be able to deservedly recommend a local family business.
It looked pretty busy when I went past the other day, must give it a try.

Speaking of family owned businesses, we had the full breakfast at the Olive Grove in Deganwy on Sunday. Excellent meal, local ingredients, very enjoyable. Full marks to them.  $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #2990 on: January 22, 2016, 06:12:03 pm »
We had another delicious lunch today at the skip. We have a friend staying with us from Switzerland and it was good to have somewhere to take her for good food with a great sea view.
Mr H and I had roast skate wing with capers and shrimps and our friend had haddock, chips and peas. Pudding in the photo was warm rice pudding with poached prunes with candied walnuts.
Service was excellent too but the best news is, sherry is coming soon!
Drinks list is being revamped and I am promised!

Have you been yet Wrex?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2991 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:28 pm »
next month,looking forward to it now

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2992 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:35 am »
Food does look great, must give it a try soon.  $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #2993 on: January 23, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »
The chips look like frozen ones and a bit insipid to boot. Must admit I don't like the trend for putting everything in different dishes on the plate either but that's just me. The worst offence of the lot is to serve food on a wooden platter or a piece of slate!

Offline hollins

« Reply #2994 on: January 23, 2016, 06:41:05 pm »
Yes Dave, I think you are probably right about the frites as they called them but to be fair to them when we ordered they did say that their normal hand cut thick chips were not available. Not sure why but they did say that they had had a run on the haddock dish of the day.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2995 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:18 am »
Get you two in on the opening night for Shisha specials ,the old man will love it.lol

That Shisha place was open last night, but it's a pretty embarrassing effort really.

They have opened the doors, put a small Egyptian looking rug hanging on the wall, and there was no one in.

Well, why would anyone go in?  There is no bar, no food or alcohol for sale.... and no signage telling anyone what the place offers, what you can be or any prices.   

Went past 3 times, and just saw the owner outside looking panicky on her mobile phone.

Doomed I'm afraid.
I see that this place has closed down and is up for let again. Who's surprised?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #2996 on: January 24, 2016, 02:49:43 pm »
I notice Cup'Cakes in Mostyn Street is now empty.

It is opposite the Halifax.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2997 on: January 24, 2016, 06:13:28 pm »
I thought that the recession had long since ended?

But given the number of recent shop closures, including several on the Pier, and the fact that interest rates still show no signs of rising, I would suggest that it it is still in full swing.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #2998 on: January 24, 2016, 06:22:28 pm »
I think it doesn't matter what the economic situation, a poor business proposition will always fail.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2999 on: January 24, 2016, 06:57:26 pm »
I think it doesn't matter what the economic situation, a poor business proposition will always fail.

You are so right Dave, It always sounds good when you are full of optimism, I'm going to open a so and so shop, because there are lots of them in the town, so it must be a good idea. Do the basics first. How many bums on seats do I need to pay the overheads / lease and how much do I need to live on after I've paid the staff / taxman.

My wife's Uncle got the contract to refit the Bakers Oven Shops all over the country because he devised a chair that was perfectly comfortable to sit on for 20mins., but after that it became progressively more uncomfortable. In, drink your coffee, eat your cake, move on.

Now with free wifi available almost every where, unless you charge outrageous prices it's only a question of time before the inevitable closure.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)