Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1016424 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3090 on: April 07, 2016, 11:50:18 am »
Dave when I phoned the council few years ago about the pavement,s they told me to phone mostyns ,they said council owns so much mostyns so much and the premises outside building ,no wonder pavements are a mess they all pass the buck 😡

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3091 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15:45 pm »
Weigh up the cost of sitting outside
If you want to put seating on pavements outside your outlets, be aware that in most cases planning permission and highways consent is needed.

With the summer approaching and the hopeful anticipation of some good weather, pub, cafe and restaurant owners will be looking to increase seating and maximise sales by using outdoor tables and chairs where possible.  However, it is not as simple as just buying some furniture and putting it outside on the pavement in front of your outlet.  In the majority of cases planning permission is required, as is highways consent – a licence variously called a pavement cafe licence, tables and chairs licence or alfresco dining licence.

This year there has been a lot in the press about the cost of such licences.  The cost varies across the country.  Each individual council can determine the fee payable but it is safe to say that costs have increased in many areas.  There are reports that in some streets Torbay Council, for example, has increased their rates by 600% leaving one bar owner’s costs rising from £1,000 to £7,000 per year.  You should find out about the cost in your area as it is obviously only worth using an outdoor seating area if it boosts profits.

MORE   http://www.hospitalitylaw.co.uk/weigh-up-the-cost-of-sitting-outside/

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3092 on: April 09, 2016, 02:24:34 pm »
Heard the portugese may have been aquired by orme brewery,no sold sign though

Offline nwpo

« Reply #3093 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:07 pm »
Malt Loaf in Conwy closed down the other night. Not enough pints with names like Knobblys Foxy Grouting Stout or enough things on the menu for canine's I would imagine  Z**

I heard that it was being re-vamped and re-opened under it's former name 'The Erskine Arms'

Certainly is.

http://erskinearms.co.uk/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3094 on: April 10, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »
Called at the new Poco Coffee Cafe, that opened today in the old Nigel Roberts shop, great welcome, good food and eager to please staff, I also met the owner Richard Sutton who is as nice as he is professional.
I will be going back.
http://www.pococoffee.co.uk/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3095 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:00 am »
Called at the new Poco Coffee Cafe, that opened today in the old Nigel Roberts shop, great welcome, good food and eager to please staff, I also met the owner Richard Sutton who is as nice as he is professional.
I will be going back.
http://www.pococoffee.co.uk/
We also popped in during the morning. Food and drink were good, they maybe have a couple too many tables in there for comfort if it gets full, but they've done a good job and I wish them the best of luck with their venture.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3096 on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:09 am »
Me and Mrs R agree about there being too many tables and chairs inside.

We also thought there is a need to address a couple of issues with the single toilet.

Their all day cooked breakfast priced at £5.95 including a drink will be a winner especially as the Travelodge next door offers a breakfast box only.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3097 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:08 am »
First look at Conwy Marina's Mulberry pub restaurant after revamp
Conwy Marina pub restaurant The Mulberry is set to re-open next week after a five-month revamp.
Robinsons Brewery have transformed the venue since closing in December and will open it to the public on Monday.
They have already taken on 44 staff and this the workforce is expected to rise to almost 60 by the summer.

MORE AND PHOTOS    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/first-look-conwy-marinas-mulberry-11175398

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3098 on: April 13, 2016, 04:06:39 pm »
This couldn't have come soon enough, my main problem with the old layout, probably one experienced by most of you, is that there was no wooden dinghy hanging upside down from the ceiling. Fortunately in the new design this has been addressed.

$good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3099 on: April 13, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
This couldn't have come soon enough, my main problem with the old layout, probably one experienced by most of you, is that there was no wooden dinghy hanging upside down from the ceiling. Fortunately in the new design this has been addressed.

$donald$

Offline hollins

« Reply #3100 on: April 19, 2016, 10:43:56 pm »
We had another super meal in the skip tonight and big news......sherry is on the drinks menu!
It was the first night tonight of a new menu and Bryn was busy in the kitchen giving instruction.
They had been closed during the day for staff training.
I had an asparagus and egg mayonnaise starter. I had never had it served like that before and it tasted light and fresh. Spring vegetable risotto was also delicious, perfectly cooked.
Mr Hollins had Baked Alaska and I had one of my favourite puddings which was floating islands or in this case one island with pink sugared almonds sprinkled on top.
The service is now both friendly and professional. I particularly liked the way that on our table of six the meals were placed correctly to each person without us having to be asked what we had chosen.
It was very special watching the sun go down from our seat near the window.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3101 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:30 pm »
You needed that walk on the Little Orme after munching your way through that meal and it's nice to hear good reports about the restaurant.
I'll have to give it a go sometime, that Baked Alaska looks very tempting indeed. 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3102 on: April 21, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
Maybe a Dylans Restaurant in Llandudno......

Dylan's restaurant in Menai Bridge has new landlord after Mostyn Estates investment arm buys up property  $good$

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/dylans-restaurant-menai-bridge-new-11214225

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3103 on: April 24, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
We called in to look at the 'refurbished' Mulberry at lunchtime, and didn't like it at all. It's clinical with a hideous finish to the walls and I doubt if NASA could find any atmosphere in there. I do think that £1.5m could have been better spent.

I actually preferred the old Mulberry, and that was bad enough.

No doubt some will like it, but I doubt if we would make any effort to go there. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3104 on: April 25, 2016, 12:29:29 pm »
We called in to look at the 'refurbished' Mulberry at lunchtime, and didn't like it at all. It's clinical with a hideous finish to the walls and I doubt if NASA could find any atmosphere in there. I do think that £1.5m could have been better spent.

I actually preferred the old Mulberry, and that was bad enough.

No doubt some will like it, but I doubt if we would make any effort to go there.

We agree on something :o