Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1015742 times)

Offline Neil

Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3390 on: January 26, 2017, 02:04:20 pm »
Hollins, Thanks for mentioning the lack of choice at the Skip to Bryn, his reply is disappointing but not unexpected. I don't think that most people who open Bistro,s in the UK actually know what Bistro means. I have spent quite a lot of time in France, Bistro is a small restaurant mainly serving dishes of the day, usually cheap meat and fish stews at very low cost. So the only part of bryns that relates to a Bistro is the small Menu! Roll on May, at Dillon's.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #3391 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:57 pm »
I don't mind places with a small menu. In fact I am always suspicious of places with a huge menu.
The point I was trying to make to him was that it would be nice to be able to choose something different over the three month seasonal period if like me you visit regularly. The food is good in my view, the portions are small on some dishes but I prefer that.
However the plaice, bream, risotto, fish fingers and smoked haddock, my usual choices, are wearing a bit thin!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3392 on: January 26, 2017, 03:12:24 pm »
Hollins, Thanks for mentioning the lack of choice at the Skip to Bryn, his reply is disappointing but not unexpected. I don't think that most people who open Bistro,s in the UK actually know what Bistro means. I have spent quite a lot of time in France, Bistro is a small restaurant mainly serving dishes of the day, usually cheap meat and fish stews at very low cost. So the only part of bryns that relates to a Bistro is the small Menu! Roll on May, at Dillon's.

Yes Neil, most of the Bistros in France have an ever changing menu, at less than exorbitant prices!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3393 on: January 26, 2017, 03:27:10 pm »
I don't mind places with a small menu. In fact I am always suspicious of places with a huge menu.
The point I was trying to make to him was that it would be nice to be able to choose something different over the three month seasonal period if like me you visit regularly. The food is good in my view, the portions are small on some dishes but I prefer that.
However the plaice, bream, risotto, fish fingers and smoked haddock, my usual choices, are wearing a bit thin!

Might be time to give Signatures in Conwy a go Hollins.    It might not have the views of Bryn's but the food is very good and the atmosphere and service are very good too.
Have a look at the menu online and see if there is anything that appeals to you and your Mum.   

Offline hollins

« Reply #3394 on: January 26, 2017, 05:06:55 pm »
Good thinking Hugo, thanks. Might get Mr H to treat us!   ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3395 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:00 pm »
If you become a member of Signatures you do get some special offers on your meals like 10 or 20 per cent off.    It's easy to do and both Mrs H and I are members.      $good$
Have a look at their menus on the website and see if anything takes your fancy.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3396 on: January 26, 2017, 08:23:09 pm »
Booked for tomorrow. Watch this space!   ;D

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3397 on: January 26, 2017, 10:42:33 pm »
Love the food in signatures also would recommend the new tal y cafn another very good local chef .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3398 on: January 27, 2017, 09:19:23 am »
I haven't been there since I saw you there in December Norman, but I can't wait to go back soon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3399 on: January 27, 2017, 03:19:55 pm »
Booked for tomorrow. Watch this space!   ;D

I'm looking forward to hearing the feedback from our very own Globetrotting Gourmet.      $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #3400 on: January 27, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
Ha!
She's back and thank you all who gave me recommendations for Signatures.
I must admit to being rather sceptical of the place mainly because of it's location in a caravan park and I thought it sounded a bit pretentious but I am happy to say that I was proved 100% wrong.
I knew I could trust my fellow forum members as I have had some great tips about the area over many years now.
It all started very well, the acid test, a request for a medium sherry was answered with, "Yes, we have an amontillado." Oh joy!
The service throughout was exemplary from an Italian, a Polish and Mexican waiters.
The food was freshly cooked and served piping hot on hot plates.
We had the lunch of the day menu which we thought was excellent value.
The soup was roast root vegetable and was delicious. I have posted a photo of the other dishes, all very good and beautifully presented.
The only slight snag was being so close to the sea and not being able to see it but without the sand dunes protecting it I guess it wouldn't still be there.
So thanks again forum members!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3401 on: January 27, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
My only issue with the place is that it can be noisy. A lot of straight walls and floors, and little in the way of curves or soft furnishings. Fine when it's quiet, but if there's a party in it can become rather loud. But the best chips anywhere :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3402 on: January 27, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your experience there Hollins.  It might be a Caravan Park but it's a bit special and I believe that the Spa there is very good too.
I've found the staff there very good and little Carlos was extremely helpful when I had my birthday lunch there last year.
I could see that my favourite starter, the black pudding was on the menu, hope that it's still on when I go next.     $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3403 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:27 am »
Llandudno's Johnny Dough's pizza restaurant wants to open branches in THREE more towns.

Now owner Morgan Austin wants to increase the size of the site in Llandudno and open new locations in Conwy,
An application has already been submitted to increase the size of the Llandudno site
the plan for Conwy would be for a takeaway site.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/llandudnos-johnny-doughs-pizza-restaurant-12554905

Offline hollins

« Reply #3404 on: February 05, 2017, 10:08:39 pm »
Love the food in signatures also would recommend the new tal y cafn another very good local chef .

Thank you Norman for your recommendation for Tal-y-Cafn.
We went along there for lunch today having prebooked. It isn't really a fair test to go for a Sunday lunch and especially as the place was packed when we arrived at 2pm.
I had the roast beef and Mr H the lamb. We both thought the meat was excellent quality (Edwards of Conwy) but the vegetables were rather tired, a symptom of the mass catering Sunday lunch probably.
Unfortunately we were seated in a smallish area upstairs which wasn't as pleasant as the downstairs rooms which were attractively decorated.
It looked as though a lot of money had been spent on the building and the decor.
There are loads of chairs and tables on the terrace outside which I imagine will be very pleasant in warmer weather. By the time we left the place was empty. I think everyone had gone to watch the rugby.