Author Topic: Orchestral  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Orchestral
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:12:24 am »
Music from 1300 to the present but generally described as 'serious' music as opposed to Pop.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:50:49 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Classical, Romantic and Baroque
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:45:36 am »
This is rather good - keep the sound turned up!

Christmas Food Court Flash Mob, Hallelujah Chorus - Must See!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:47:13 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
If you're a Sky subscriber then Sky Arts 2 is worth catching.  It's been running televised versions of the Royal Ballet company and the English national Ballet performing the Tchaikovsky ballets over the past few months. Although even a big screen TV can't replicate the 'feel' of actually sitting in a big theatre to see a ballet live, the reality is that it's an impossibility for most these days, since the costs of mounting a full scale ballet are becoming prohibitive outside of London.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »
I love this! I'm just getting in to the genius of Wagner, so powerful!

http://youtu.be/Zn4Iuxy0X4I
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:24:06 am »
It's superb.  The Meistersingers overture is also a wonderful piece. Often thought he ought to have been writing for Hollywood, had he been born fifty years later :-))

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:59:35 am »
Speaking of music, I've been listening to Michael Nyman lately, specifically his soundtrack to The Draughtsman's Contract. Very good.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »
Nyman's stuff is good, albeit soulful and rather downbeat for me. I didn't realise he'd scored for the The Draughtsman's Contract.  Must try to listen to some of it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Orchestral
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 08:51:05 am »
At this time of year Sky Arts 2 shows a series of ‘seasonal’ concerts from around Europe’s major cities.  The most recent of these is “From Vienna to Broadway” in which Daniele Gatti supposedly conducts the Orchestre National de France and Swedish soprano Ida Falk Winland performs a concert of Christmas melodies and songs from Broadway musicals at the Cirque d'hiver in Paris. The programme includes Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland, Deck the Halls and Santa Claus is Coming to Town, as well as numbers from West Side Story, Girl Crazy and Candide.  Mostly stock Christmas fare, you might think, But - and oddly even - the Sky listings omit two crucial pieces of information: the conductor, far from being the Italian Daniele Gatti  is actually the extraordinarily talented (Swedish) Sofi Jeannin. and the children’s choir she runs, La Maîtrise de Radio France.

Children’s choirs are ten a penny at Christmas, and most are characterised by being charming, slightly off-key and single gender - usually male. La Maîtrise de Radio France is, however, rather different. It’s a mixed choir school, founded in 1946, taking children from 8 - 16, and it’s the best children’s choir you’re ever likely to hear. The eighty-odd members are selected on their ability to make a single, pure and flawless sound, and they’re trained relentlessly (it’s a boarding school) to a peak of perfection rarely experienced outside of the King’s College Choral scholars. Add to this the sublime arrangements - complex, subtle, interweaving monuments of polyphony and the result is supremely beautiful.

Sofi Jeannin’s command of the podium is also impressive.  Rarely for a conductor, she is explicit about what the orchestra and choir should do, when to do it and how, and her relationship with the choir is the best I’ve ever seen. She’s outstanding in every respect and this programme is one I defy anyone not to enjoy.

The orchestra made only a couple of timing errors, and were generally pretty good, but are in danger of being merged, as the political forces in France have determined they lack an appropriate ‘French’ identity. Since their remit was originally to embrace an international body of work, this seems not only rather short-sighted, but also smacks of a certain French arrogance, which is a shame, considering their outstanding choir were singing in four different languages during the concert and were totally indistinguishable from British children when singing in English.

All in all, however, a superb concert which I heartily recommend to anyone who enjoys orchestral music.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:51:08 am »
Sounds great, if only I had Sky...  :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »

.............. Get SKY.  :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »

.............. Get SKY.  :)
But...it's rubbish!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 06:42:31 pm »
But...it's rubbish!

Almost worth it for Sky Arts 2...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:00 pm »
SKY is GREAT!..... and the advent of Sky Plus completely revolutionised the viewing of the Nation.

No need to watch any adverts, watch what you want, whenever you want.

Fantastic Football matches, great Dramas and Mini Series,  and as Ian says....... Sky Arts 1 and 2.
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:22 pm »
SKY is GREAT!..... and the advent of Sky Plus completely revolutionised the viewing of the Nation.

No need to watch any adverts, watch what you want, whenever you want.

Fantastic Football matches, great Dramas and Mini Series,  and as Ian says....... Sky Arts 1 and 2.

The latest boxes are brilliant. My old one died so I replaced it with a 2TB box that has Wi-Fi built in so it now has all the catch-up/on demand channels grouped together. With up to 60 HD channels to choose from and the simplest of programme planners it is by far the best TV option on the market.
I guess the only problem people have is the price because with so many channels I challenge anyone to not find something that interests them at any time of the day or night!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:42 pm »

My SKY plus box is on it's last legs SDQ, how much was the brilliant new box you bought?
I don't want to pay any more for HD subscriptions though.  I was not THAT impressed by the difference when I checked it out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:16:21 pm by Ian »
Fester...