Author Topic: Orchestral  (Read 10920 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Orchestral
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

My SKY plus box is on it's last legs SDQ, how much was the brilliant new box you bought?
I don't want to pay any more for HD subscriptions though.  I was not THAT impressed by the difference when I checked it out.

I think I paid £149 but if you don't have HD you need not get such a high capacity box as SD programmes take up a fraction of the space of a corresponding HD one. You should be able to get a quote & choice of boxes through your Sky account online. You could also get a quote from a local trader, I've used Garry Sky (07770 391379) a couple of times in the past because I've not always been happy with the quality of the work of Sky's fitters.
I think all the new boxes have Wi-Fi so you just need to decide what capacity you want and as you already have the system fitted you can do the change over yourself as it comes with a step-by-step guide to steer you through the process.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:13:04 pm by Ian »
Valar Morghulis

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 03:15:31 pm »
You can also get a little box that plugs into your old box that will get you all the on demand stuff as well, for movies it's invaluable. For most of the programmes though you will have to pay an extra £5 a month (which I think is the Sky HD subscription so kill two birds with one stone) It's worth having the super big box for normal non HD programmes as you can store millions of them! I have about 6 series of Friends, and 5 of the Sopranos in mine currently! I don't think I will ever get round to watching them all.

You may be able to get the box for free (As I did) by upgrading your subscription to the HD.
Give them a ring and see, but play your cards close to your chest, they don't like giving stuff away but if they think there's a chance you will leave they will THROW things at you.

££$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »
We have a Humax Freesat box, lots of channels, on demand etc, works like a Sky plus box, no monthly subscription! Obviously not as many channels, we don't want sport anyway! We find plenty to watch on it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:57 pm »
Fester

As I'm a nice person, I'll tell you step by step what you need to do to get a better box for free (or as cheaply as possible)

1) Ring them up

2) Tell them you are cancelling

3) They will put you through to some department who's job it is to keep you a customer they will ask you why you are cancelling

4) Tell them because your old box is on it's last legs and you can't enjoy all the on demand stuff either- so you've thought it through and to save buying a new sky box and continuing your subscription you're just going to get a shiny new freeview box that can record on for free.

5) They will give you a new sky box

6) You will buy me a pint to say thank you

8)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 06:04:54 pm »
Fester

As I'm a nice person, I'll tell you step by step what you need to do to get a better box for free (or as cheaply as possible)

As a warning (and to show how unlucky I am) I tried this once on the advice of a 'friend' and they said sorry that I was leaving and my contract will finish on....
So tell them you're considering cancelling not that you definitely are!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:14:19 pm by Ian »
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:42:22 am »
I have completed 5 of those 6 stages several times in the past.   (the buying you a pint one seemed pointless, seeing as you are loaded)

Basically, every year when the football season ends, I phone them to threaten cancellation.

They always 'talk me out of it'', and give me either 3 months or 6 months half price.

About 2 years ago, I got a whole year half price.

It is a game of 'chicken' that we take part in every year...... and they usually blink first!

SDQ, thanks for the info..... I'm all over it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline squiggle

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:49 pm »
I've tended to be a bit mixed with classical music, liking some bits and not getting on with others although I've probably taken to more as I'm older.  My mother and I are quite different musically, her being classically trained piano and me trying to play jigs, reels etc, on mandolin, etc. as well as a bit of "folk guitar".

Intro over, I do remember being taken to a couple of things in Llandudno as a child.

One was seeing the WNO do the Barber of Seville at the Astra. I'm generally not that fond of opera, tending more to say Gilbert and Sullivan but I have to say that the whole spectacle was rather good! And I'd still be able to tell you where Largo Al Facotum comes from...

The other was hearing John Ogden play in the Arcadia. I never followed up from there but thought he was quite brillaint.

Outside of Llandudno but staying in North Wales, I also had the pleasure of hearing John Williams in St Asaph cathedral.

---
Total drift but Ian, (not that I can sight read) I notice a clef by your name. Apologies if I've missed something in my haste to post but do you play an instrument using the alto or tenor clef?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 06:43:38 pm »
I was trained as a pianist at the Royal Northern where we had to learn how to read in all the clefs. Great fun :-))  You were lucky hearing John Ogden. He became a recluse following his mental illnesses, which lasted for more than ten years, and he died in 1989. But his piano technique was astonishing. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.