Author Topic: North Shore issues  (Read 26321 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Proposed new lifeboat station
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »
Er...the Great Orme, the Little Orme, the West shore, the North Shore...

:laugh:  Good point but I was referring to the man made bits  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 11:40:00 am »
Sorry but I cannot believe that anyone is going to say where shall we go on holiday?  Oh I know let's go to Llandudno it's Victorian.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
Loads came for the Victorian Extravaganza (although I admit aspects of it were not very Victorian :) )

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 11:58:39 am »
Sorry but I cannot believe that anyone is going to say where shall we go on holiday?  Oh I know let's go to Llandudno it's Victorian.
I've never yet seen a newspaper or magazine article about Llandudno that doesn't refer to its preserved Victorian character. You don't work for the Council, do you?  :P

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 03:17:13 pm »
 L0L
We do have many Elizabethan buildings here, sadly it's the wrong Elizabeth! so best we keep praising the Victorian architecture!  ;D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:39 pm »
L0L
We do have many Elizabethan buildings here, sadly it's the wrong Elizabeth! so best we keep praising the Victorian architecture!  ;D

:laugh:

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »
No Dave of course no one comes here just because it's Victorian that's plain daft.  They come because of the scenery and the seaside and the fact that it is not overcrowded and in spite of people's best efforts to neglect it. $angry$
I have to disagree completely. I think the town's Victorian architecture is a major factor in its attractiveness as a seaside resort.

What do other people think?

One of the main reasons for me visiting Llandudno before I lived nearby was because of the promenade and the pier. The fact that there are no shops or amusement arcades on the front makes it quite unique and so pleasant both to look at and to walk along. For me it doesn't particularly matter that it is Victorian just that it is unspoilt.
I must say though that I was pretty much devastated when the wind turbines were installed in the view. I cannot understand allowing those after managing to protect the promenade for so long.

Just as an aside......I was trying to find Dave R's question above and couldn't remember which post it was in. I thought it maybe in the traffic light debate so I typed in Mostyn Champneys and it came up with this:

You may have meant to search for moisten champers retail park.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 02:51:28 am »
You may have meant to search for moisten champers retail park.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Clean Beach
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 08:04:31 am »
 Having just seen a reporter doing a piece from Cleethorpes on the BBC news i noticed that their beach had been cleaned by a special machine, now correct me if im wrong but i remember CCBC buying a special machine to clean its beaches, it was a few years ago now,but it has never been used on the town beach.As most of you know i have noticed over the years how many other authorities clean their beaches daily,Southport ,Hoylake and i bet Rhyl does then i walk past the little strip of beach we have that does not get cleaned by the tide and it disgusts me, i challenge any of you to have a look this morning and you will find yesterdays litter,sandcastles, ,piles of stones and last weeks seaweed all there from yesterday and anything from last nite,broken glass ,needles who knows.When ccbc cannot be bothered to clean such a small strip of beach and nobody else seems bothered then this town has no chance. :rage:

Offline Bri Roberts

Cycling on the Llandudno Promenade
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 08:48:28 am »
3. RECOMMENDATION(S)/OPTIONS

3.1 That the cycling prohibition on Llandudno Promenade be relaxed for a 12
month trial period in order to allow for informal unsegregated cycling

3.2 That Llandudno Promenade should not form part of the National Cycle
Route

3.3 That “share with care” signage, with pedestrian and cycle symbols, be
provided on the shelters on the promenade for the trial period

3.4 That the Council indemnifies Mostyn Estates against any claims arising
from permitted cycling activity on the promenade

3.5 That the enforcement of the byelaw pertaining to the restriction of cycling
on the promenade be suspended for the trial period

3.6 That a CCTV system be used to provide monitoring over the trial period
(the footage to be reviewed by staff in the Harbour and Maritime Service)

3.7 That the Task and Finish Group be reformed towards the end of the trial
period in order to review the trial and make further recommendations to
the Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee

Further details: 7i

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=2758&x=1#AI33495

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: North Shore issues
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 12:16:37 pm »
NO cycling.  Look up the meaning of the word Promenade.  Use the roads. :-[

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »
The Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee have approved a trial of allowing cycling on the Prom. Their decision must now be approved by Cabinet.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 11:18:27 pm »
$00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$

Llandudno promenade cyclists ban is lifted by council

Conwy councillors have backed plans to allow cycling along Llandudno promenade for the first time since it was built in around 1876.

They voted 6-2 in favour of allowing cyclists to use the seafront for a one-year trial.

Campaigners welcomed the decision and said common sense had prevailed.

Opponents had argued the promenade is used by elderly people and speeding bikes would be dangerous.

"It's sheer relief that common sense has prevailed," said Roy Spilsbury, from the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) Cymru.

"Cyclists now won't have to go along the main parade battling with the busy road," he added.
The charity Sustrans, which promotes cycling and walking, said bikes are allowed on 125 other UK seafronts, and Llandudno was in a minority.

Cycling has never been officially allowed on the promenade since it was built and Conwy council has considered the issue several times in recent years, always voting to keep the ban.

Tuesday's meeting decided to trial bike use with safeguards such as CCTV and warning signs.

Christine Jones, who chaired a group of councillors who looked into the issue, said they had decided to look into cycling on the promenade more seriously.

"Yes, we think there probably will be risks but the risks are minimal," she said.

"You have risks if you put a car on the road and as a consequence of this we have decided to go forward."

John Lawson Reay, from the Llandudno civic trust, said he was against the proposals.
"Bicycles and pedestrians don't mix," he said. "We don't allow them on the pavements in towns and cities.

It applies exactly the same on the promenade.

"The question of other resorts... in fact some of the major south coast resorts to ban cyclists from their promenades so that's a precedent.

"The reality of it is that people want to walk along a promenade in safety with their kids and their dogs."

$00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$ $00$

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:53 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Sara

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »
I took my cycling proficiency test aged 10 when I lived in London and after taking it we were expected to cycle on the road, not the pavements or where people were walking.

Roy Spilsbury says, "Cyclists now won't have to go along the main parade battling with the busy road,"  at 10 I was cycling along the A23 in Streatham, the main London to Brighton Rd alongside double decker buses, cars, lorries and coaches, one of the busiest, most congested roads in London even 40 years ago. If these cyclists cannot cope with the main parade then maybe they should consider a different form of transport.

What sort of speeds are they hoping to get up to, that they can't on the roads?