Author Topic: Toys of yesteryear  (Read 62566 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Toys of yesteryear
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2010, 08:36:24 am »
There are several hits for 'Gem model railway' in Google.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/162-GEM_Model_Railways

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2010, 04:07:06 pm »
George Mellor's place was behind the end shop on the left hand side as you go up Rhos Road from the Prom.  He lived in Brewis Road, opposite Llandrillo Church.   $uk

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »
I most certainly should have known that. The only business I knew down this entry which ended in Everard Road was a stables run by (I think) a Mr Davies.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »
Like most, I went through phases .... toys were in and out of favour with me ..

I loved my teddies ... and then it was lego, ... and I played with that for hours.

Then it was my bike, from which I was inseperable.

But when not outside,  I invested a lot in Airfix models and soldiers ..all different types.

Then I moved onto Subbuteo,  which was a total waste of time and money.
I collected loads of teams, stadiums, accessories ....spent a fortune and never EVER played a game of it.

I never had a Subbuteo set, but played it a few times at friends' houses. However, it used to bore me quickly - flicking the player's around with your finger at the oversized ball.

I tried to make it more realistic once, but my friend became annoyed when I broke off Glyn Pardoe's leg by smashing George Best into him in a re-creation of the December 1970 Manchester derby.  :twoface:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2010, 06:49:54 am »
Stickle Bricks!  :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2010, 06:58:54 am »
Ker Plunk A tantalising game of nerve and skill  $happy$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2010, 07:12:48 am »
The Airfix dogfight doubles was a good series. When I had made both planes, I would use a lighted match to create damage to the fuselage and engine cowlings etc.

I would then hang the aircraft from my bedroom ceiling with cotton & Blu Tack to simulate the aircraft being involved in a dogfight.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2010, 07:19:25 am »
Westmorelands in Lloyd St always springs to mind when I think of toy shops.

Of course, The Orme Cycle Co in Vaughan St was always a firm favorite too.

I also remember a shop in Craig-y-Don, which sold a vast array of models & kits. I think it was called The Model Shop and it was located next-door to the County Hotel in Queens Road.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2010, 08:05:10 am »
I wonder if the era of the small toy shop is finally over? The Orme Cycle Co was a firm favourite of our two, when they were little.  I suppose however, that the prices in places like Toys R Us steadily drove the small shops out of business.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:16 am »
There's a toy shop in Ruthin that has been there for years which sells a good range of quality toys and lots at affordable prices.  Ruthin's well worth a visit for Christmas gifts with its wide range of upmarket shops! ))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2010, 05:15:20 pm »
Don't forget Hippo Toys, a traditional toy shop in Colwyn Bay next door to Speakers Corner!
http://www.hippotoys.co.uk/shop/index.php

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »
does anyone have a picture of 'Toytown' thats the name I seem to remember, somewhere near Tribells and opposite the Town Hall I think?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2010, 05:35:44 am »
does anyone have a picture of 'Toytown' thats the name I seem to remember, somewhere near Tribells and opposite the Town Hall I think?

Westmorelands was on the corner at this location. That's Back Madoc St straight ahead, with Ball & Boyds in the distance.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2010, 08:12:59 am »
In the early '90s a place called Platform 3 trains (I seem to remember) started up on the platform in Colwyn Bay station. They sold nationally, by mail order, and were very good on price.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2010, 08:48:38 am »
In the early '90s a place called Platform 3 trains (I seem to remember) started up on the platform in Colwyn Bay station. They sold nationally, by mail order, and were very good on price.
Yes, Platform 3 was based in the disused...Platform 3 at Colwyn Bay Station. There was also a bar of some sorts there and a full size steam train. Lasted a few years and then they went bust, I think, and that whole section of the station was demolished.