Author Topic: Questions about places  (Read 115105 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: All about the Great Orme
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 08:56:35 am »
 If only they would stop eating my Garden.

And my hedge
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:58:14 am by Nemesis »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 09:08:35 am »
Sally Pidcock, Country Park Warden
Phone: 01492 874151
Email: sally.pidcock@conwy.gov.uk

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »
Whilst walking around the Orme today, I noticed that there was a house on Llys Helig Drive that looked almost  derelict - does anyone know more about it?

Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:07 pm »
Looks to me like the one that was owned by Dr and Ross James.   The Doctor Died some years ago and Ross moved to another part of Llandudno.  I believe that a certain group made a number of offers to buy the house.  Whether Ross sold to them or not I don't know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 07:35:09 pm »
Interesting, thanks.  $thanx$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 08:01:35 pm »
By amazing coincidence we were on the Orme this morning and also found an abandoned house near Mike's golf course, what's the story here?

old books still on the stairs!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »
It was in that state when we moved into the area 15 months ago. There was also another one a couple of doors up or down that was in a similar situation. We walked up past there to the viewing point this evening and there were about 7 or 8 foxes roaming around on the land between the housing estate and the  Ty'n-Y-Coed road . They took no notice of us until we were right next to them.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »
Both of those houses have been in an increasingly derelict state for at leat 5 years....very strange.
I feel most sorry for the neighbours either side of them...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:39 pm »
No, Dr. James lived at Rivcah (Hebrew for rebecca) which I think was further along.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »
Whilst walking around the Orme today, I noticed that there was a house on Llys Helig Drive that looked almost  derelict - does anyone know more about it?

HE WHO KNOWS ALL THINGS IN LLANDUDNO....Has given me more information about this derelict house.

It is owned by The Rabbi who apparently owns several other properties on that strip.
It is not many years since renovation work took place inside!
He who knows all things, is not sure why its been left to deteriorate in recent years. 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Questions about places
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 11:49:52 am »
Walking along Trinity Avenue my attention was caught by the ?gable end (the pointy bit) decorations of 30 Caroline Road which turns on to the Avenue.  Opposite the Youth Centre. 
On the Avenue it says 1896 and some sea creatures/ dragons.  Up Caroline road there's a blob and stick?  Couldn't see properly could have been an artists palette and brush.  The next one along has a pair of compasses and a set quare.  Does that mean that whoever had the house built was a mason?

Yorkie

Re: Interesting house decorations
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 01:58:41 pm »
More like a stone-mason who actually did the building.  In those days Freemasons did not generally advertise their presence apart from decoration on the local Freemasons Hall.

All stonemasons had their own "signature" or "mark" that they would carve on each piece of stone they fashioned and they can still be seen on many old buildings especially Churches and other important structures.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »
Had a quick drive over the Orme and avoided the toll charges on the zig zag road past St Tudno's.     D)
Took a photo of Pigeon's Cove where we used go swimming when we were in our teens and dive off the ledge.  It was ok at first when the iron ladders were there but when they removed them, then you had to swim out to the point to get back up to the ledge.
On the descent down I stopped at the quarry, but don't know why the machine was parked there.  Just above the quarry is a large rock that looks like it wouldn't take much to dislodge it so I hope it doesn't land on the Jennings machine as they have had enough problems with vehicles recently.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »
No not mason's marks.  This is decoration picked out in the paintwork.

Yorkie

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 01:10:41 pm »
Just someone who obviously liked the S & C design then.   ;D