Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319514 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #855 on: June 09, 2017, 09:38:44 pm »
May wanted to bo like Margaret Thatcher, I suspect it will not be long when she will be getting into her ministerial Jaguar in tears as she leaves No. 10.   WWW
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #856 on: June 10, 2017, 12:45:36 pm »
The Tory campaign was utterly woeful, it was full of negativity and school mistress-like preaching about 'leadership'
I think she was utterly complacent and simply expected a very comfortable win.

Mr Corbyn on the other hand was energised, and in an ironic way he did exactly what Donald Trump did.
He promised everybody, 'everything'.  Cheap houses, better wages, fantastic health care and services.  Without a penny on anyone's tax.
Nonsense of course, but given the worries in the UK these days, and the young seemingly on a treadmill... who wouldn't vote for that?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #857 on: June 10, 2017, 01:27:31 pm »
Two of her aides have just quit, surely she should do the honourable thing too.
Then we can get Boris as PM and the madness would be complete!
Anything the US can do, we can do better.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #858 on: June 10, 2017, 01:38:40 pm »
That about sums it up Fester,  in addition they had the terror attack in London and it reminded everyone that she was Home Secretary at the time when Police numbers were being reduced and she was also booed when she attended a Police Federation meeting.
Then she promised to end the triple lock on pensions, means test the heating allowance and introduce the so called "dementia Tax"      Not a good start to her campaign

Labour on the other hand promised everything even though they wouldn't be able to deliver  on their promises but some fell for it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #859 on: June 10, 2017, 01:53:32 pm »
The Tory campaign was utterly woeful, it was full of negativity and school mistress-like preaching about 'leadership'
I think she was utterly complacent and simply expected a very comfortable win.

Mr Corbyn on the other hand was energised, and in an ironic way he did exactly what Donald Trump did.
He promised everybody, 'everything'.  Cheap houses, better wages, fantastic health care and services.  Without a penny on anyone's tax.
Nonsense of course, but given the worries in the UK these days, and the young seemingly on a treadmill... who wouldn't vote for that?

I wholeheartedly agree, and Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill have now fallen on their swords and resigned - but only after pressure...

I do wonder if the MP's who resigned from Corbyn's Show Cabinet and railed against him, including some of the grandee's of the party - Kinnock, Johnson and becket etc will now apologise to him? This election has shown just how out of touch both they and the Tory are with the British public.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #860 on: June 10, 2017, 02:45:46 pm »
JC didn't do that well, though; the real winner - in a previously staunchly Labour Scotland - was a Tory, who swiped 12 seats from the SNP.  In contrast, JC managed around half a dozen but actually lost votes in five Scottish constituencies. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #861 on: June 10, 2017, 03:37:14 pm »
JC didn't do that well, though; the real winner - in a previously staunchly Labour Scotland - was a Tory, who swiped 12 seats from the SNP.  In contrast, JC managed around half a dozen but actually lost votes in five Scottish constituencies.

My point is that Corbyn has hounded and derided by his own party, and still managed to make a very decent job of the election - in everyone's opinion a better election than the Tories - albeit that he didn't win. But what would have been he result if the Labour Party had pulled together to back him?

Scotland, home of the winging Jocks is a different matter, they are just fed up with Jimmy Kranky, her wholly dysfunctional party, and her dreary bleating about holding referendums until she gets the result she wants.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #862 on: June 10, 2017, 05:44:31 pm »
I take my hat off to Corbyn, I'm no Labour supporter but credit where it's due...
They were laughing at him in parliament not so long ago, 'for God's sake man, Go' remember that?

The vast majority of his own MPs actively and vigorously wanted him gone.

Now, he is in the ascendancy, an extremely popular figure with the public.

Fester...

Offline mull

« Reply #863 on: June 10, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »
I might not agree with Corbyns actions in the past especially siding with IRA etc.
But , throughout it all he has been consistant in what he believed in and everyone knew were he stood.

In the end of the day perhaps a lot of people saw that. and perhaps admired it.
 Most other MPs go with the flow and are untrustworthy.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #864 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:50 am »
I take my hat off to Corbyn, I'm no Labour supporter but credit where it's due...
They were laughing at him in parliament not so long ago, 'for God's sake man, Go' remember that?

The vast majority of his own MPs actively and vigorously wanted him gone.

Now, he is in the ascendancy, an extremely popular figure with the public.
That's because he promises everything to everyone - not hard to be popular if you do that!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #865 on: June 11, 2017, 07:04:20 pm »
This sums it up...
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #866 on: June 12, 2017, 09:32:56 am »
One of the funniest things I heard in the Election was Corbyn saying that '68 was too late to retire'...despite him being 68 himself.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #867 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:23 am »
Another thing that I found out today in the Labour Manifesto was the "Garden Tax"     Perhaps comrade Corbyn  may take it out of the manifesto if he wants to win the next General Election:-

How the Labour manifesto would affect homeowners with gardens

The Labour manifesto includes a so-called ‘garden tax’ on the value of land to replace council tax. This tax would affect homeowners with gardens hardest.

The Labour manifesto says: “We will initiate a review into reforming council tax and business rates and consider new options such as a land value tax, to ensure local government has sustainable funding for the long term

Offline Dave

Brexit
« Reply #868 on: June 13, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »
I'm curious to know what would happen if we had another vote!
I'm sure the main parties bar the Lib Dems are too scared of loosing votes by asking the question.

During the election it seemed to me pretty obvious that there would be a change of allegiance from one political party to another depending on their stance on a hard or soft Brexit but in truth I think that scrapping the idea altogether might be an attractive proposition for many now we are starting to feel the potential effects of life outside of Europe with more bad news to come.

Vote runs for three weeks in the hope we get a decent poll!

Offline Dave

Re: Brexit
« Reply #869 on: June 15, 2017, 11:26:40 am »
Come on everyone, just a bit of added interest and totally anonymous!