Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319167 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #885 on: June 26, 2017, 06:16:18 pm »
I am simply appalled and disgusted in equal measures at the Tory/DUP alliance. To court, buy and bed a bigoted bunch of politicians barely removed from the bomb and bullet whose beliefs are stone age in order to remain in power make it clear that May is desperate for power at any price.

It's going to end in tears and my doubts about May's competence and her lack of any sense of decency are confirmed.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #886 on: June 27, 2017, 09:53:14 am »
Not to mention the billion quid she's found down the back of the sofa  $good$

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #887 on: June 28, 2017, 09:21:06 am »
I'm supporting this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40423052

If she can find a billion quid to buy off a bunch of Neanderthal bigots, she can find the money. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #888 on: June 28, 2017, 10:12:09 am »
I'm supporting this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40423052

If she can find a billion quid to buy off a bunch of Neanderthal bigots, she can find the money.

I think that's a tad unkind to Neanderthals.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #889 on: July 06, 2017, 10:12:54 am »
An interesting 'post-Brexit' article, I think that people are beginning to realise.... (or coming to their senses...)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/05/brexit-error-vote-leave-dominic-cummings

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #890 on: July 06, 2017, 02:49:49 pm »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #891 on: July 06, 2017, 03:52:44 pm »
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/177799/nursing-shortages-shut-llandudno-hospital-ward.aspx

When more stuff like this happens they will

Just remember, don't get ill, and don't get old.  Otherwise you've no chance.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #892 on: July 06, 2017, 04:04:52 pm »
Janet Finch-Saunders said: “It is vital that wards are adequately staffed, and Llandudno Hospital is an integral part of service provision here in Aberconwy. I would urge the Management of the Health Board to address this matter as a priority.

Er...yes;  no one's applying for the jobs.  How are they supposed to address it? Perhaps she should add her voice to those in the Tory government regarding the cap on public service jobs. It is her party, after all.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #893 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »
Brexit  $good$

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/25/number-eu-nurses-coming-uk-falls-90-per-cent-since-brexit-vote/

Just 101 nurses and midwives from other European nations joined the register to work here last month - a drop from 1,304 in July, the month immediately after the referendum, official figures show.

Dave R - still chirping the same old tune - surely people are starting to realise by now.....surely  ££$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #894 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:37 am »
Surely we should be asking why we cannot staff the NHS without resorting to importing nurses and doctors from around the world? This article here provides some answers:

"More nurses are needed who are from the UK, according to one leading NHS doctor. Around 7,500 nurses from countries such as Spain, Romania and Italy registered to work in the UK last year. But many of you have contacted Newsbeat to tell us you've always wanted to be a nurse but haven't been able to get on training courses. One argument is that not enough people from the UK have the right qualifications. Dani Ella Wynn, 18, from Wigan, applied to six universities to study nursing and midwifery and was rejected from every one. "I'm only 18," she said. "I've always wanted to be a nurse and tried to get as much experience as I could. I've taken four A-levels but still no place."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33692001/nursing-why-the-uk-has-so-many-foreign-nurses

As regards Llandudno Hospital in particular, the NHS in Wales is run by the Labour Government in Cardiff. Why Ian imagines it is anything to do with the UK Government, I don't know?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #895 on: July 07, 2017, 12:40:49 pm »
Surely we should be asking why we cannot staff the NHS without resorting to importing nurses and doctors from around the world?
Interesting article for and against degree only nursing,

All new nurses to have degrees from 2013.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2009/nov/12/nurses-nursing-qualifications-degrees-nmc-rcn

"The academic must be secondary to the practical. Only then will patients get the nurses they want and trust – the right ones with the right attitude. It must never become more important to write about care than to give it. If our nurses do not have the basics of training, the costs of care will soar because of infection rates and overblown bureaucracy."

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #896 on: July 07, 2017, 03:21:51 pm »
Surely we should be asking why we cannot staff the NHS without resorting to importing nurses and doctors from around the world? This article here provides some answers:

"More nurses are needed who are from the UK, according to one leading NHS doctor. Around 7,500 nurses from countries such as Spain, Romania and Italy registered to work in the UK last year. But many of you have contacted Newsbeat to tell us you've always wanted to be a nurse but haven't been able to get on training courses. One argument is that not enough people from the UK have the right qualifications. Dani Ella Wynn, 18, from Wigan, applied to six universities to study nursing and midwifery and was rejected from every one. "I'm only 18," she said. "I've always wanted to be a nurse and tried to get as much experience as I could. I've taken four A-levels but still no place."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33692001/nursing-why-the-uk-has-so-many-foreign-nurses

As regards Llandudno Hospital in particular, the NHS in Wales is run by the Labour Government in Cardiff. Why Ian imagines it is anything to do with the UK Government, I don't know?

Because the UK Government controls the funding for the health service. They allocate funds on the basis of the salary cap - that's why, Dave.  And it's the UK Government that determines the places available for Nursing in Universities.  If the UK Government was to make more money available then there wouldn't be a crisis in Wales. And the UK gov is...er, Tory.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #897 on: July 07, 2017, 03:33:38 pm »
Surely we should be asking why we cannot staff the NHS without resorting to importing nurses and doctors from around the world?
Interesting article for and against degree only nursing,

All new nurses to have degrees from 2013.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2009/nov/12/nurses-nursing-qualifications-degrees-nmc-rcn

"The academic must be secondary to the practical. Only then will patients get the nurses they want and trust – the right ones with the right attitude. It must never become more important to write about care than to give it. If our nurses do not have the basics of training, the costs of care will soar because of infection rates and overblown bureaucracy."

Nurses should have degrees - BUT - they shouldn't have to pay tuition fees.
When there was a shortage of teachers the government reduced the qualification criteria and let every Tom, Dick and Idiot teach our kids. I don't want them to do the same with nurses. Give me a qualified Romanian nurse over an unqualified British one any day of the week.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #898 on: July 08, 2017, 09:55:37 pm »
  Bet a few of you never thought they would see me contributing on this subject. But at least it might flush out lurking trolls.
  Its all about "haves" and "have-nots."  Its all about how society is split right down the middle. And how the "haves" manage to succeed where the rest struggle. Through the haves all sticking together. All helping each other. All being members of the same clubs, mix with the same people, don't need to abide by strict procedures. A quiet word in a corner of a special club to a friend will smooth away any need to go through permissions that normal (i.E. the vast bulk of the population) have to go through.
  Whats brought me to write all this. Well, just a thought. An example.
  Driving in to Llandudno from the A55 black cat roundabout you come to the next but last island. The one that leads to Penrhyn Bay. Carry on to Llandudno. In the next 200 yards you will pass four. Thats right, four. Large permanent signs directing you to St Davids College. Three on one side of the road. The fourth on the other side. Maybe authorised by different organisations. One of them has a blue border around the edges. 
  Now this is complete guesswork on my part. How many vehicles a day turn right here to enter the college. Perhaps 300 or 400., I don't know. But one thing I would bet on. Nine out of ten of them know where they are going.. Staff, deliveries, parents.
    So the number of vehicles who actually need this information is small.
   I am sure there are plenty of businesses large and small around the area who would give anything to have just one sign, never mind four.
   But of course they will be told that there is a strong feeling that there are too many signs around already.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #899 on: July 09, 2017, 06:29:47 am »
I'm guessing they would not let you have a sign to the golf course ?  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas