Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313355 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #945 on: September 20, 2017, 02:24:15 pm »
I agree with your last point (in principle) but I don't know the ins and outs of the case you mentioned of the Somali bus driver. But I think if he was rent was almost £8000 a month then that's more to do with his greedy landlord abusing the system.
For a four or five bedroom house which they'd need rent should not be that much.

I would also argue that as the money went to his landlord rather than him that he didn't receive more money that any working person, at least not for himself, his other money will have been presumably in child benefits for his kids. Should we let his children starve because their dad is unable or unwilling to get a job?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #946 on: September 20, 2017, 07:25:23 pm »
That's a load of nonsense BTR and you know it.     I'm sure that you and I might like to live in Llys Helig Drive  Llandudno but there is one little obstacle in the way and that's cash, or probably lack of it.   It certainly is in my case.

You live where you can afford to, and you have as many kids as you can afford to, but it seems not in some cases.   So what makes them so special?

You work and I've paid taxes for about 55 years so whatever the ceiling of the cap, is you and I both know how much a working person has to earn before they come home with that amount.    Is it fair?  is it hell

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #947 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
Hugo

Job seekers allowance is £57.90 a week for under 25 - £73.10 for over 25.

The minimum wage from 21-24 is £7.05 and for over 25 it's £7.50

Therefore anyone working over 9 hours (or 8 for under 25) is earning more than anyone on benefits.

The other benefits you are talking about are housing benefit (which working people are allowed to claim if they are below a certain threshold) and child benefit (which everyone is allowed to claim whether they are working or not)

People not working above that threshold can also claim working tax credit to top up their wages.

It is never the case that anyone not working is on more money than anyone who is working. It may seem so especially in the farcical case you have pointed out but it just isn't.

If it was don't you think a lot more people would give up work? I certainly don't think employment would be at it's "highest rate since 1975."

Yes some principled and hard working people would go to work if it turned out that you would get less money than if you stayed at home (I would because I love my job) but I guarantee you 32 million people in this country would not go out to work if they could get more money by doing nothing.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #948 on: September 25, 2017, 05:24:29 am »
Brexit.

The biggest issue for this country for generations.

And Labour are not debating it at their conference.

Priceless.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #949 on: September 25, 2017, 08:25:00 am »
I saw Diane Abbott on BBC Breakfast, yesterday, and I really wonder if she’s up to  the job of giving interviews.  Today, John McDonald was speaking and he showed how it should be done.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #950 on: September 25, 2017, 08:56:25 am »
I'm not a fan of Diane Abbott but when she did an interview a few months ago I really felt sorry for her.       She appeared to be ill but whatever the reason she is out of her depth in politics at this level.
She may be an ex of Jeremy but it is unfair to put the pressure on her by allowing her to continue in a job she is unable to handle

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #951 on: September 27, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »
September marks the fifth month in a row where pay has failed to keep up with inflation. The TUC finds that only one in nine workers had a real terms pay rise this year.

And some people still believe the conservative party is for the working man  :laugh:

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #952 on: September 27, 2017, 04:46:00 pm »
Now Emma Dent Coad is talking about 'absolute facts', as opposed to any other type of fact. Alternative or otherwise....

She has proved herself to be just another cretinous MP and another embarrassment to the Labour Party.

Is she related to Emily Thornberry?

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #953 on: February 16, 2018, 01:19:23 pm »
Revealed: 'Staggering' extent of funding gulf between rest of Wales and the south east
Critics have called for a rebalancing of the economy after the release of new figures.

South East Wales gets two and half times more Welsh Government cash than North Wales, new figures have revealed.

www.dailypost.co.uk/news/revealed-staggering-extent-funding-gulf-14298388

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #954 on: February 26, 2018, 02:30:13 pm »
Interesting assortment of views on Corbyn's latest stance on Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/26/corbyn-speech-brexit-panel-uk-eu-customs-union

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #955 on: March 14, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »
I have just being watching the Prime Ministers statement to to Parliament on the incident in Salisbury and the Government's response to Russian involvement. It was interesting to hear every MP who spoke, including those from the Labour Party, either directly or indirectly condemn the Leader of the Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn for his weasel reply to the PM's statement.

That man and his front bench are a shocking disgrace.

Pat McFadden's (Labour) pointed rebuke to JC was thinly veiled and cheered by the the house, including the majority of Labour MPs. 

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #956 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:07 pm »
Of course the Labour Party is not anti-semitic.

Yea, right.....

Now look who has admitted it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/26/jeremy-corbyn-accused-of-being-figurehead-for-antisemitism

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #957 on: March 27, 2018, 07:32:26 am »
This is exactly the sort of issue that rears its ugly head when you have an ineffectual leader dazzled by his own voters' numbers, and the current rise of conspiracy theories that see Jewish cabals around every corner. This has to be eliminated - and fast. For those who think it doesn't matter, they need to read some history books. Quite apart from the fact that Jewish communities have been systemically attacked, isolated, hated and maligned throughout history (it's hardly a recent occurrence) the rise of  unfettered left, as is now happening under JC, will witness the simultaneous rise of an unfettered and extreme right.

There is no room for bigotry of any kind in a civilised and open society.  Sadly, it seems, it continues to blight the country.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #958 on: May 18, 2018, 09:42:55 am »
This says a great deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/17/mcdonnell-backs-out-of-prison-conference-over-ira-apologist-claims

In 2003 McDonnell said at an event remembering the death of the IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands: “It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA".

If that's not support for the IRA, I don't know what is.

I suppose that people are going to squirm around this, as they have done denying the anti-semitism in the Labour Party.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #959 on: May 18, 2018, 04:24:33 pm »
Bosun,  what you have said is not just an opinion it is a fact.   Your comments also apply to Jeremy Corbyn who calls Hamas his friends and then has the cheek to say that anti semitism in the Labour Party is unacceptable when it his him and his mouthpiece John McDonnell who are the chief instigators of this unacceptable practise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mmJQ5NXXc