Author Topic: National politics  (Read 318201 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #435 on: October 15, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »
That's because we have a government straight out of a 19th century novel.

;D ;D ;D True...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #436 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:55 am »
Fewer buses on the roads?

"Bus services in Wales could be dramatically cut as a result of the UK government's spending review next month, it has been warned.

Bus use has been falling across the UK since 2008 but the drop has been sharpest in Wales. The Welsh government puts £25m a year into supporting bus services - a quarter less than in 2013. The Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) said the level of cuts could be "devastating".

"If the cuts are of the scale of what's been mentioned by George Osborne - we're talking 25 to 40%," the WLGA's transport spokesman Andrew Morgan said. "You take 40% of funding away from non-protected services like bus services then we're talking about probably another three, four, five per cent of all bus services in Wales will end up being withdrawn."

Kevyn Jones, managing director of Cardiff-based bus operator New Adventure Travel, said about half the routes he ran received some subsidy, but he expected the numbers to reduce in the future.

"The subsidised services are dwindling each year. There's less this year than there was last year and the same each year for the last five years we've been operating them," he added.

A Welsh government spokesperson said: "These grants are intended to supplement local authorities' expenditure on bus services and it is a matter for them how that funding is allocated. Under the concessionary bus travel scheme local authorities are responsible for determining the reimbursement rate for bus operators and for ensuring that operators are no better and no worse off."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2015, 06:04:11 pm »
It's not very often, in fact I cannot remember it happening before, but I have to agree with Peter Mandleson's sentiments expressed on HardTalk being interviewed by Stephen Sackur.

If you missed it, it's here and I would recommend viewing it.

BBC iPlayer - HARDtalk - Lord Mandelson - Former Labour Government Minister, UK
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #438 on: November 18, 2015, 09:28:18 pm »
Just when I thought that politicians could not get any worse......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-34863678

It appears that they are as stupid as they are divorced from reality.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: November 19, 2015, 07:28:53 am »
 ;D

Well, good track record for an aspiring politician: being dishonest...

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:51 am »
Because of my worry about not having an effective parliamentary opposition, I have been following recent political events closely and the vote on engaging in the bombing in Syria will be a pivotal moment for Corbyn, for whilst he will make opposition a party line, he himself defied the party line some 500 times.

Corbyn has certain policies and strategies that it would be difficult for any reasonable person to rail against and to me, it appears to me that Corbyn's main problem is not the media reporting (although that's part of it) but rather the way he has not yet learned to express his points simply and in a way that it is difficult to twist.   So, as regards the police reaction to terrorists, he should have simply said what he eventually said: that is, they already have the ability in law to meet force with force. Instead, he expressed a well founded view that the police should respond in a proportionate manner and he would not be in favour of a shoot to kill policy. This opened a door to allow misinterpretation of his remarks as being "soft" on dealing with armed terrorists.

Equally, his opinion about Syria and ISIS is, as I understand it, not to negotiate with ISIS but to assist the Syrians in coming to an agreement to end their civil war and then to deal with ISIS. This is a reasonable concept but he has not put any flesh on the bones of his proposal: how is he going to help bring about the end of the civil war and how does he see an emergent Syrian government dealing with an intransigent ISIS?

He is no longer a backbench MP who can simply be 'against things': he is meant to be a PM in waiting and as such, when he makes policy statements, they must be fully thought through, capable of explanation to the electorate and, preferably, costed. Until he starts doing this and carrying the bulk of the PLP with him, he will be attacked and picked to pieces by the media.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2015, 11:53:59 am »
I think you make a very good point. Corbyn has been 'against things' for so long that he perhaps doesn't realise that he needs to suggest solutions himself...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:28:58 pm by DaveR »

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2015, 02:44:49 pm »
Corbyn must obviously be a good local  MP  or otherwise he wouldn't have been reelected so many times.   A natural leader, certainly not and my worry is that he will lead the Labour Party into political oblivion.
This Conservative government is one of the worst ever and that's saying a lot because they have had a few bad ones in their time, but while Corbyn is the Labour leader, regretably the Tories will continue to remain in power.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »
Corbyn must obviously be a good local  MP  or otherwise he wouldn't have been reelected so many times.   A natural leader, certainly not and my worry is that he will lead the Labour Party into political oblivion.
This Conservative government is one of the worst ever and that's saying a lot because they have had a few bad ones in their time, but while Corbyn is the Labour leader, regretably the Tories will continue to remain in power.

Hugo, you are categorically correct and I agree with every word, well put. And I don't think that you and I are the only ones that are worried.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2015, 10:55:08 pm »
Jeremy Corbyn 'cannot support UK air strikes in Syria'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34939109

Offline Hugo

« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2015, 04:07:31 pm »
Shadow cabinet seek to defuse Jeremy Corbyn Syria row.   Interesting words from Paul Flynn putting in a comparison to Michael Foot and Ed Milliband

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34944499

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #447 on: November 28, 2015, 10:25:01 am »
With both Paul Flynn suggesting that Jeremy Corbyn may have to resign and John McDonnell disagreeing with Jeremy Corbyn, the internal machinations of the Parliamentary Labour Party are an open secret and the party is imploding faster than even I suspected it would happen, and at a time when more than ever, we need a strong opposition. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: November 30, 2015, 11:00:31 am »
The priorities of our MPs:

[smg id=3344]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: November 30, 2015, 11:01:25 am »
...and comparisons

[smg id=3342]