Author Topic: National politics  (Read 313309 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #750 on: May 18, 2017, 04:41:25 pm »
Trouble is those comments may not be from Tories at all.   
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #751 on: May 19, 2017, 05:20:21 am »
I wonder if it's because I'm getting older and less passionate (or opinionated) about politics, but my enthusiasm for this election is less than bubbling.

No matter what policies the Labour party come out with, or how much I agree with them, they can say anything or promise anything because they know that they are never going to be held to account to provide it. Because like the politicians in the 'Leave' camp, even in the highly unlikely position the Labour party did win, it'd be a case of "Oh, that £350m, that was never going to happen....." And the disaster that is the well meaning but deluded Corbyn, who cannot even run his own party - combined with the moronic Abbott and that appallingly dreadful woman Thornbury in charge of the country fill me with absolute and utter horror.

For me the jury is out on Mrs May, but it's undermined by her selection of that idiot Johnson as Foreign Secretary, the cretin Hammond as Chancellor and the buffoon Fallon on Defence. Don't even get me started on Hunt....... But, I suppose like Corbyn, she had a limited choice of losers to choose from.

And Tim  (nice but dim) should stick to TV comedy shows.

But I think I know the reason for my disillusion - after the fiasco and lies that was Brexit, producing an awfully uncertain future for the country, and the horror that is and continually grows worse in the form of Trump, I'm all election nightmared out.

Will someone please wake me when it's all over? 

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: May 19, 2017, 08:38:40 am »
I suspect Election fatigue will shortly appear as a recognised medical syndrome. I'd agree about May: she's coming over well on camera and far, far better than the egregious Thatcher ever did. And entirely agree about the murky Fallon, who exudes unpleasantness and Hunt, whose last name has always been misspelled. Abbott needs Costello, to make any sense at all, and yes - Thornbury et.al - maybe there should be a musical about them?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #753 on: May 19, 2017, 09:22:29 pm »
This is another excellent piece by Jonathon Freedland in the Guardian who is quickly becoming one of my favourite young journalists, I like his take on things.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/19/british-voters-rejecting-santa-embracing-scrooge-labour-popularity

It does answer a lot of the questions I am struggling with in the dichotomy (?) of the current political situation, and I would suggest, many others are in the same situation.

In the scheme of things, it appears that it would take a momentous event to change the emerging course of the election.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #754 on: May 20, 2017, 12:49:40 am »
I did predict (on this Forum), that the Brexit referendum would be a shambolic and divisive mess, and it certainly was.

I'm now safely predicting that the 8th June General Election will be easily, and by far, the LOWEST turnout ever.

I won't be wasting MY time, that's for sure.... the polling cards in my house were shredded within an hour of them coming through the door.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #755 on: May 20, 2017, 08:29:41 am »
In Clwyd West we only have a choice of 4 candidates,  I'm not impressed by any of them to be honest. Whatever happened to the Monster Raving Looney Party when you need them!  They say we should vote, but who do you vote for when you don't like any of the 4 options?   &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #756 on: May 20, 2017, 11:00:43 am »

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #757 on: May 21, 2017, 10:32:04 pm »
do it the easy way ME put the names in a hat and pull one out it will make no difference who you pull out the country will still end up in a mess

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #758 on: May 23, 2017, 07:32:03 am »
The one thing that I have realised from the tragic and sickening events of last night is that I cannot, and never will, bring myself to vote for the party of a potential Prime Minister who has repeatedly refused to categorically and unreservedly condemn an organisation that has caused similar atrocities, no matter what manifesto policies that party might have.

Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the dead and injured, including those who will be traumatised for life by this vile event, including the emergency services.   

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #759 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:49 am »
What happened in Manchester was horrendous and your sentiments are the same as mine Bosun.     

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #760 on: May 23, 2017, 12:21:19 pm »
"He said: “I condemn all the bombing by both the loyalists and the IRA.”

Quite clearly

He said: “I condemn all the bombing by both the loyalists and the IRA.”

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2017/05/no-jeremy-corbyn-did-not-refuse-condemn-ira-please-stop-saying-he-did

Listen to the recording yourself

That is what he said. It's clear this was grossly misreported.

He has since said even more explicitly "http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/jeremy-corbyn-has-finally-called-the-ira-terrorists-6653633/"

But if you want to vote for the party that has cut twenty thousand police since 2009 then I'm sure we'll all be a lot safer  $good$.

God help the next generation.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #761 on: May 23, 2017, 01:07:20 pm »
"He said: “I condemn all the bombing by both the loyalists and the IRA.”

Quite clearly

He said: “I condemn all the bombing by both the loyalists and the IRA.”

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2017/05/no-jeremy-corbyn-did-not-refuse-condemn-ira-please-stop-saying-he-did

Listen to the recording yourself

That is what he said. It's clear this was grossly misreported.

He has since said even more explicitly "http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/jeremy-corbyn-has-finally-called-the-ira-terrorists-6653633/"

But if you want to vote for the party that has cut twenty thousand police since 2009 then I'm sure we'll all be a lot safer  $good$.

God help the next generation.

I wasn't specifically referring to that infamous interview, I was referring to the last 35 plus years of both Corbyn's and John Mc Donnell's well documented support for the IRA. No-one in their right mind would ever suggest or even infer that there was any legitimacy whatsoever in the IRA's despicable actions that caused carnage and devastation - which both Corbyn and Mc Donnell have done.

On a day like today - they should both hang their heads in shame.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #762 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:04 pm »
I would say last night's atrocity has more to do with the millions of Muslims killed since 9/11 than anything the IRA ever said or did.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/unworthy-victims-western-wars-have-killed-four-million-muslims-1990-39149394

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #763 on: May 23, 2017, 03:40:20 pm »
Well, I would want to know how they arrived at that figure, and what their sources were. But we have to remember that 9/11 was an act of barbaric slaughter by Muslims on innocent victims.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #764 on: May 23, 2017, 03:46:07 pm »
Absolutely it was a needless and horrific event but I don't believe that the US response to that can ever be justified.