Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319254 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: National politics
« Reply #900 on: July 09, 2017, 08:58:52 am »
There are far too many signs generally, so people just ignore most of them, or fail to see the one they really need.

This past week there has been a poster for a Pop Concert at the side of the road leading from Black Cat to Glan Conway, it's just before the first left-hand bend.  Other than Pop Concert I haven't a clue what the rest says - lots of writing - the only way would be to stop the car and get out to read it - highly dangerous there.  Whoever thought of putting it there needs a rethink (I'm being polite!).

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #901 on: July 09, 2017, 09:05:45 am »
That's an interesting observation.  Driving in the States is somewhat different, since their planning controls seem far laxer than ours and huge billboard signs are everywhere. And some US signs are not immediately obvious: 'Wrong Way!' is one, but it takes a moment to realise that if you can read it you're actually travelling in the wrong direction on a one-way carriageway. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2017, 09:21:26 am »
Because the UK Government controls the funding for the health service. They allocate funds on the basis of the salary cap - that's why, Dave.  And it's the UK Government that determines the places available for Nursing in Universities.  If the UK Government was to make more money available then there wouldn't be a crisis in Wales. And the UK gov is...er, Tory.
Not at all. The Welsh Government decides how much is spent on the NHS in Wales, they have the freedom to allocate however much of their total budget they wish to healthcare:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35026577

The salary cap remains because the Welsh Government has not removed it, as Plaid Cymru has pointed out on several occasions:

"The decision to lift the NHS pay cap is down to the discretion of the Welsh Labour Government. Since 2010 Welsh nurses, NHS staff and workers across our public sector have been forced to take cuts of up to 14% in their real term wages as a result of the pay cap. The Welsh Government must now do right by our NHS workers and give them the pay rise they deserve. "

http://www2.partyof.wales/pay_our_nhs_workers_a_fair_wage

"And it's the UK Government that determines the places available for Nursing in Universities."

Really? http://gov.wales/newsroom/health-and-social-services/2016/nurse-training/?lang=en

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:38 am »
Surely we should be asking why we cannot staff the NHS without resorting to importing nurses and doctors from around the world?
Interesting article for and against degree only nursing,

All new nurses to have degrees from 2013.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2009/nov/12/nurses-nursing-qualifications-degrees-nmc-rcn

"The academic must be secondary to the practical. Only then will patients get the nurses they want and trust – the right ones with the right attitude. It must never become more important to write about care than to give it. If our nurses do not have the basics of training, the costs of care will soar because of infection rates and overblown bureaucracy."

Nurses should have degrees - BUT - they shouldn't have to pay tuition fees.
When there was a shortage of teachers the government reduced the qualification criteria and let every Tom, Dick and Idiot teach our kids. I don't want them to do the same with nurses. Give me a qualified Romanian nurse over an unqualified British one any day of the week.
Perhaps qualified Romanian doctors & nurses should be nursing in...Romania? Bit selfish of you to expect doctors and nurses to leave their own country to come here to look after you?  :P

"Romanian health service in crisis as doctors leave for UK and other states. Number of doctors in Romanian hospitals has fallen from 21,400 to 14,400 since 2011, says president of professional body"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/07/romanian-health-service-crisis-doctors-uk

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:42 am »
It's interesting.  The AIDs threat caused applications to Universities for Medicine to drop sharply, but they've recovered, now, and it's competitive as ever to get in (although nowhere near as competitive as Veterinary science). But we ought to be training more Doctors and Nurses.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #905 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:48 am »
Because the UK Government controls the funding for the health service. They allocate funds on the basis of the salary cap - that's why, Dave.  And it's the UK Government that determines the places available for Nursing in Universities.  If the UK Government was to make more money available then there wouldn't be a crisis in Wales. And the UK gov is...er, Tory.
Not at all. The Welsh Government decides how much is spent on the NHS in Wales, they have the freedom to allocate however much of their total budget they wish to healthcare:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-35026577 The salary cap remains because the Welsh Government has not removed it, as Plaid Cymru has pointed out on several occasions:

"The decision to lift the NHS pay cap is down to the discretion of the Welsh Labour Government. Since 2010 Welsh nurses, NHS staff and workers across our public sector have been forced to take cuts of up to 14% in their real term wages as a result of the pay cap. The Welsh Government must now do right by our NHS workers and give them the pay rise they deserve. "[/quote]
But it's the UK government that determines the overall budget, isn't it? What would you have them cut?  I'd be interested to hear...

"And it's the UK Government that determines the places available for Nursing in Universities."

Really? http://gov.wales/newsroom/health-and-social-services/2016/nurse-training/?lang=en

But the money has to come from the overall budget - which is determined by the UK Government, isn't it? You can't escape the fact that until and unless Wales becomes totally self-sufficient what it does and how it acts are utterly constrained by those who hold the purse strings - the UK Tory government. However, May is making a major speech today (?) in which doubtless she will spell out how she intends to distribute money to the devolved administrations.

Personally, I'm a bit more concerned to discover on BBC Breakfast that the Lake District has the UK's highest mountain...

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #906 on: July 10, 2017, 10:18:00 am »
When I heard the piece about the Lake District on BBC Breakfast it quoted Scafell as ENGLAND's highest mountain.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: July 10, 2017, 10:24:00 am »
They must have amended it for the second report.  I rewound the prog to make sure, but it definitely cited Scafell as the UK's highest mountain. I would have heard it at around 0715.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #908 on: July 10, 2017, 11:53:52 am »
But the money has to come from the overall budget - which is determined by the UK Government, isn't it? You can't escape the fact that until and unless Wales becomes totally self-sufficient what it does and how it acts are utterly constrained by those who hold the purse strings - the UK Tory government.
I think you're missing the point, sadly. The Welsh Govt has directed more and more money into the NHS, yet it is getting worse and worse. That's the question that needs to be answered.

As an aside, how can Wales ever become self-sufficient when it has such little in the way of tax paying business and such a large welfare state bill?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #909 on: July 10, 2017, 12:48:37 pm »
Ha ha Merddyn, you have half a point here. I am indeed in the middle of a planning application for a sign. But not yet had a decision. But no doubt all the paper work I've had to do made me think, oh if only I could have a quiet word in some club with you know who --- the top man.
  Actually in principal I have no objection at all with planning. Especially advertising signs in beautiful places. Anyone who has visited Goa will know the feeling. What a lovely spot. Pity you cannot see it through a Coca Cola or Vodafone monster board. My objection is to the old boys system with our society.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2017, 01:22:58 pm »
But the money has to come from the overall budget - which is determined by the UK Government, isn't it? You can't escape the fact that until and unless Wales becomes totally self-sufficient what it does and how it acts are utterly constrained by those who hold the purse strings - the UK Tory government.
I think you're missing the point, sadly. The Welsh Govt has directed more and more money into the NHS, yet it is getting worse and worse. That's the question that needs to be answered.

As an aside, how can Wales ever become self-sufficient when it has such little in the way of tax paying business and such a large welfare state bill?

I don't believe I'm missing any point: the Welsh budget is organised by Main Expenditure Groups (MEGs), which broadly mirror Ministerial responsibilities. MEGs are further broken into Spending Programme Areas and Actions.

The MEGs are:

Health and Social Services
    Local Government
    Communities and Tackling Poverty
    Economy, Science and Transport
    Education and Skills
    Natural Resources and Food
    Housing and Regeneration
    Culture and Sport
    Central Services and Administration.

Now, the overall budget (which is the main point) is fixed by the UK Tory government. Wales can't change that, so the only options are to reduce funding for some areas at the expense of others.  So I ask again: which ones would you cut?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #912 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:04 pm »
Corbynomics Explained

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #913 on: July 21, 2017, 03:03:54 pm »
What are your views on a new permanent Welsh Government Small Business Rates Relief Scheme?

Small business owners and ratepayers are being asked for their views on a new permanent Welsh Government Small Business Rates Relief Scheme to be introduced in 2018.In 2017-18, the Welsh Government is providing more than £110 million of rates relief for small businesses. The new permanent scheme will maintain this level of investment. A consultation opens today looking at whether the scheme could provide more support to the small businesses that need it the most. To respond to the consultation please visit gov.wales/consultations.

https://consultations.gov.wales/consultations/delivering-tax-cut-small-businesses-new-small-business-rates-relief-scheme-wales

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #914 on: September 15, 2017, 11:16:10 pm »
Following the last sickening terrorist attacks in Manchester, London Bridge and the Bars in London, Theresa May announced in the sternest voice, 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH'

So I thought, finally something is about to be done.

But sadly it appears to have been worthless, empty rhetoric... seeing as another outrage happened today, and the threat level has been increased to 'critical'

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -