Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 152651 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:22:39 am »
I pulled this picture out of the gallery ..
I reckon that this (long since deceased lady) is responsible for the theft of millions of ice-creams ever since!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:28:25 am by DaveR »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Pier & Seagulls
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:09:58 am »
Indeed! That's your kiosk, isn't it? The positioning of the Orme in the background would indicate so.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:33 am »
we used to feed the seagulls on the pier in the Sixties, mind you back then the seagulls were well behaved D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 07:24:03 am »
we used to feed the seagulls on the pier in the Sixties, mind you back then the seagulls were well behaved D)

They're still well behaved today.  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Llandudno Pier - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »
Just found this today, its me and was made in a pier kiosk in 1966, anyone else got one?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Pier silouettes
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:56 pm »
No.... but a very nice lady came into my kiosk recently,  saying she was the daughter of the very man who MADE that silhouette,  and she wanted to come into the kiosk that he used to own ... for sentimental reasons.

Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »
I'll bring my silhouette back into that kiosk sometime, its not been in Llandudno since 1966 until today!  D)  (can't remember when your opening hours are now!  :) )

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:48 am »
Yes I've got one--- I'll dig it out!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 08:57:40 am »
I always recall the name Richardson as doing the Silhouettes?

"In 1960 William Richardson left his native Potteries for Llandudno when he was 37 and became a star tourist attraction in his adopted town.

The former student of Burslem School of Art made his name doing quick-sketch portraits of visitors in his tiny studio on the pier, completing a charcoal drawing in 15 minutes.

When I met him nearly 20 years ago, William told me he'd drawn around 30,000 people and couldn't remember one dissatisfied customer in more than 30 years.

His sitters included two Prime Ministers, Harold Wilson and Margaret Thatcher. Both were in Llandudno in the days when party conferences were held at the resort.

William recalled another visitor who told him she'd been recommended to go to him by her neighbour – in Peru!"

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Resort-cut/article-1116827-detail/article.html

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:54 am »
Looks like there were several different artists!

Captain Oakley is a well known artist/silhouettist who started work before World War I, and continued for many years afterwards. He travelled all over the British Isles, making regular appearances in Edinburgh and on Llandudno Pier. He cut both bust-length and full length silhouettes, and his work is always easy to recognise, being either signed or stamped on the front.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/honda.burns/parlour/p40_c20.html

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:09:10 am »
From what I can piece together, the Richardon guy operated from a booth near the gates, (the gates near the arcade) and he produced portraits and charactures in charcoal and chalk.
The Silhouettist operated for many years from kiosk 27...  my source for this is his daughter, and many other customers who come enquiring of me.

Fester...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »
I had one taken (cut?) of my eldest Son when he was around six or seven----not far off fifty years ago. Its still in my familys ownership, somewhere. I remember it was done in a kiosk on the left hand side of the pier going towards the sea, actually I THOUGHT it was further along past your site, Fester, but I may be mistaken.  By chance I happened to read about the man who did them, fairly recently. It may have been in Colwyn Bay library. I'm not sure about this, I onl;y skimmed what I was reading, but I think he came from Yorkshire and lived, more or less hand to mouth in the summer months in Llandudno. He could pay for digs if he had a good day, if not he had to owe the rent.  Bit like me now, I suppose  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:42 pm »
"Harry Lawrence Oakley was born in YorkDecember 1882.  He enjoyed cutting figures of people and animals as a small boy and had a natural aptitude for drawing.  He won places at Leeds School of Art and then the Royal College of Art in London where he was awarded his ARCA in 1908.

During his career he worked mainly in the UK, in places such as London, Worcester, York, Harrogate and Scarborough with a brief stint in Holland. It was after he returned from Holland that he organised a successful exhibition of his silhouettes in York, it was this exhibition which encouraged him to follow a career. He went on to take thousands of portraits, work for magazines and design advertisements for many big companies.

Oakley would work in London and other cities in the Winter time and seaside towns in the summer; and it was from here that the love affair with Llandudno began, visiting and working most years between 1920 and 1958. There are many people in Llandudno who will have had their portraits done as children, or still have their parents' portraits.

The exhibition includes his famous First World War recruiting poster 'Think' and examples of his work for the Bystander magazine. See his portrait of the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII and many more.

Harry Lawrence Oakley died in London in January 1960 and his ashes are interred in the cemetery at St Tudno's Church on the Great Orme, Llandudno."

There was an exhibition of his work at Llandudno Museum back in 2008.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »
Thank you for that information. What a difference between two people. Dave gets all this detail ( surely its not from his memory) and its all factually correct. The only thing I got right was that he came from Yorkshire!!!  Mike   P.s. I tell you another thing I know, Fester comes from Yorkshire as well  LOL

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »
PPS So do I and so does Yorkie !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.