Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 152602 times)

Yorkie

Re: Pier silouettes
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 02:58:19 pm »
PPS So do I and so does Yorkie !

But Yorkie has spent more years away from Yorkshire than he has in Yorkshire.  In fact was mainly brought up in and around London but lived all over the shop, West Country, Midlands, Home Counties, Scotland and this is second period of living in Wales.  I suppose I'm what could be called a bit of a Nomad!    $uk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
Did you say a bit of a Gonad?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 06:26:12 pm »
No!     D)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 09:09:34 pm »
Oh sorry... I misheard,  I'm a tad deaf you see.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Waffagolf

Llandudno Pier - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 01:53:27 pm »
Have just come across this old picture taken on Llandudno Pier by Happy Snaps, and was only available on the pier (see reverse of picture). Don't know much else. Anyone know anything more about "Happy Snaps" on Llandudno Pier?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Happy Snaps on Llandudno Pier
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »
Another of these companies that photographed people randomly in the hope they would want to buy a print as a souvenir, I guess.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
Another of these companies that photographed people randomly in the hope they would want to buy a print as a souvenir, I guess.

Isn't that where you and Fester derived your inspiration from Dave?  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
 L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Pier Electrician
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:24 am »
Anyone remember Eric Potter who lived at Voryn, Caroline Road?

He had worked in theatre in London for years before coming here.
Was employed on pier and would "lamp up" from May so that a "string of pearls" would go on in September.  When he talked he would put his hand across his mouth and keep saying"scuse the teeth".  If he didn't like someone like a manager (!) he would say "he's as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm." A saying that has stuck with me for thirty years! ;D

Offline Cornish Pastie

Llandudno Pier - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:11 pm »
As you folks have been very helpful (and also so very knowledgeable) does anyone remember when the pier used to charge admission for going on to it?

Just inside the pier gates on the left hand side about by where the Golden Goose is/was were some motorised boats - a bit like dodgems in a square "pond" that you could ride on.  Again I know they were there in the 60's but unsure after that.

Would there be any pictures of the boats floating (sorry) around in anyones loft or old photo collection?  Be good to see them too if there are.

I will see what is left in our family archives of that era next time i catch up with my family but will get them on the case and post what i can when i get them.  I know also there is a scissor cut silhouette done of me as a child which is still around so will try and scan that as well.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:00:37 pm by DaveR »
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno pier - payment onto it
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »
The Dodgem Boats disappeared in about 1968, to be replaced by the Golden Goose arcade.

The Toll continued to be charged into the early 1970s but only on the main section of the pier (from Happy Valley entrance onwards).

[smg id=1009]

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
The Dodgem Boats disappeared in about 1968, to be replaced by the Golden Goose arcade.

And I still miss those dodgem boats, somewhere I have a picture of me on the boats, no idea where it is though :laugh:

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Cornish Pastie

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:19 am »
Thanks Dave R - you guys really are fantastic at jogging the memories and coming up with the goods.  Exactly what I was looking for!

Big thanks all round. $thanx$
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 10:07:02 am »
You're welcome, a couple more pics of that area from the 1950-60s:

[smg id=588]

[smg id=1101]

There's also this aerial shot, which could have been taken anywhere from the 1930s-50s, as the Dodgem Boats are not yet there.

[smg id=191]

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 11:57:48 am »
Alica Cimatti and Olive used to "man" the kiosk further down the pier so that people coming on from happy Valley Road had too.  They were certainly still there when I worked on the pier which was late 70's.