Author Topic: Llandudno Pier & Pavilion - Old Photos & Memories  (Read 152834 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno pier - payment onto it
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 09:03:07 am »
Alica and Olive were in a kiosk with a gate further down the pier probably nearer to Fester not the fishing shop on Happy Valley Road.

Maybe so, but the Cimatti family did run a business from the fishing shop on Happy Valley Road. Sometime in the 1930's I believe Llech.

Cimattis' Fruit & Flower shop in Happy Valley Road and the pier toll gates in the 1930's.  ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 09:32:08 am »
Just to the left -hand side of the shop, there's a door - it can only lead to a tiny room. I've always wondered what it was originally used for. The present pier management had it bricked up a couple of months ago.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:08 am »
Father also had a lot to do with Bob Kerr and the Osborne Hotel and garage (around the back opposite the first cop shop), especially driving taxis and I don't know if there was any connection with Tucsons there.

The taxi was a Ford V8 Pilot wasn't it Mike? My Father remembers it parked in Cwm Place.....it was his favorite kind of car as a child.

There was one displayed at the Llandudno Transport Festival last year:

Offline rsj46

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 04:30:46 pm »
Being an outsider, born Stoke on Trent and now in Derby I have loved visiting Llandudno again in the last two years with the next 2 generations. I have cinefilm from my childhood holidays including the bumper/dodgem boats on the pier. Judging from my appalling curly hair and nappied bum I guess the films are from the late 1940s. Does anyone remember Blackfriars hotel somewhere along the Llandudno seafront. My father became friends with the owners and went climbing with the owners son. They would start out early (when I started to wake up and cry in my cot apparently).
According to my father, the owner and his son, on holiday, got tired of sitting on the beach and went for a walk. Sometime later they returned to the rest of the family only to announce they had, quite unplanned, attended an auction and bought the Blackfriars hotel! 

Offline Trojan

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 10:23:01 am »
A photochrome postcard from around 1895 showing the pier toll gate.

The circular kiosk beyond the gates resembles a Celtic round house.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:01 pm »
Thats where the 'Shell shop' is now.
Probably not an original kiosk, but very similar in design.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:16 pm »
just been looking at the rowing boats in reply#4 and it brought back the memory of when we went on a school trip back in 1953/4 and we called at llandudno, we went out in one of the row boats, at the cost of a tanner for three of us, we took it in turns to row out to the end of the pier and back. It was hard going out to sea but we shot back in. We went on to the marine lake in rhyl from there and back onto the rowing boats again, it was a dawdle compaired to llan, we even tried to race the train around the lake and came close to beating it. Good old days.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Pier Electrician
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »
Yes I think I recall Eric - white flowing hair and tinted glasses.  His daughter Sue still lives in town.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Pier Electrician
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 06:08:49 pm »
He appears in that Alex Munro documentary.

Offline SCMP

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 08:29:19 pm »
The blackfriars hotel was on the front by where venue Cymru is today. You have the fouroaks and the Cae Mor next to eachother but i think the Cae Mor is made up of two seperate old hotels and Blackfrias is the bit in the middle or was the bit on the corner ( penrhyn crescent for google maps lol)

Hope that helps if i'm right!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier - Old Photos & Memories
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:26 pm »
Who can date this photo of the Pier - I'm saying late 1980s.

Llandudno trip3 by robinhardi, on Flickr

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 01:18:23 pm »
The hairstyle would suggest you are very close to the mark with that guess.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »
The Slide would have been pretty new back then, it was one of Brendan McLoughlin's ideas when he took over as General Manager in the late 80s.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »
One of the Pier Kiosks in 2006, I believe it looks far more attractive now:

[smg id=2631]

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 04:43:03 pm »
does it have smelly stuff inside by any chance?