Author Topic: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors  (Read 68653 times)

Offline Memran

Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors
« on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »
Hello!

I'd like to start swimming again, as I've not been since the old pool was demolished.

From the published pool timetable, I cannot see any 'public swimming' time which suits my schedule.  The problem for me is that I work from 7am on weekdays, with a 30 minute commute, and have other plans on weekends.

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=6464&doc=30251&language=1

Is the pool not open to the public at all during the blocks of time which are not specifically allocated to public swimming? I suppose I should call the pool and ask directly, but if anyone has first-hand experience, it is usually more informative!
Are there any accommodating hotels within walking distance of the town center which allow public access to their pools?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:54:39 pm by Ian »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno swimming pool
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »
There is very few I'm afraid - I pay a monthly subscription and the only time I can get to go is tomorrow evening.

Interestingly I was in their gym last week, Wednesday I think and I noticed about 7 o clock there was about 2 people in the pool - when I left the gym about 8 there was one lonely swimmer!
Thinking this was unusual as it is normally packed I looked at the timetable and saw that these 2 hours were "Swimming club"

Lonely bloody club with 2 members :o

Fester's always ranting about the pool he may know more.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »
BTW I don't know what swimming club is or how to join it but that might be an option for you as it's on Monday Wednesday Friday. Let us know if you find out. I go Thursdays and it is normally packed full of kids and you can't move

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »
From the web site.

Llandudno Ametur Swimming Club. (not my spelling error)

Monday 6.30-8.30pm
Wednesday 6.30-8.30pm
Friday 6.30-8.30pm

Councillor Brian Bertola has a lot to do with the Swimming Club.  He can be contacted through the Town Clerk or direct to his home number (if you have it).
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:46:04 pm »
Memran, because you are off to work and you are busy at the weekends then common sense suggests you are only free to swim midweek after you return home.

Monday – you can swim until 6.30pm and there is another one hour session 8.30pm – 9.30pm.

Tuesday – 6.30pm – 7.30pm

Wednesday – 8.30pm – 9.30pm

Thursday – 6.30pm – 9.30pm.

Given your difficult circumstances and the fact you are away all day, do you really want to swim for longer then one hour after you get home?

I also suggest you telephone the reception at Llandudno Swimming Club as you may find the Swimming Club has closed down for the Summer school holidays.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:07 am »
Being a gym member with supposed unlimited swimming included is a complete waste of time, (and money)

The times that Bri has listed for public swimming are meant to be available, but sadly when you actually turn up, they often have an excuse to prevent you using it.
Recently I have arrived to be told;
''sorry, the kids club has taken up the whole pool tonight''
''sorry, there is a swimming gala all day today''
.... and my personal favourite.., ''sorry, we are deep cleaning the pool tonight''

So, the best way forward, if you really want to use that pool, is to NEVER under any circumstances become a member, just turn up clutching a few quid and see if you can swim that night.
At least when you get turned away, you won't be paying for it by direct debit like I do every month.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Memran

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:30:40 am »
Thank you for all your replies  :)

I'll visit the pool on Monday on my way home from work and see if I still remember how to swim!

There is no requirement for me to swim for longer than an hour, but it is quite frustrating that there are such restrictions on the pool's use, requiring rigid scheduling of my time. It has been many years since I went to the old pool, but seem to recall that you could turn up almost whenever you felt like it.

Exercising right after work is a fantastic way to de-stress, and although running or cycling are my favorite activities, it would be great to have a nice indoor swim to add variety, especially when the weather turns sour!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:42:04 am »
It WOULD be nice to swim and de-stress after work.

Sadly, despite my many attempts, I am never so stressed as when I leave that establishment.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:30 am »
I can confirm the swimming club is currently on a summer break.

Offline Memran

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:29 am »
Well, being honest, it was not at all unpleasant, and I didn't sink!

I think I can manage a regular Monday swim, as that is the most convenient (read: only convenient) time for me.

When I asked about the swimming club, the receptionist told me that they start up again this week.

The pool does seem pretty small, but adequate for my level of swimming.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:02 pm »
You'll find it a damn sight smaller when its packed with kids on floating mats.... or even worse, unexpectedly closed to you for spurious reasons!

Fester...

Offline Tosh

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »
The Chatsworth House Hotel has a really good pool I believe.
Pop in and see if it is still available, just ask at reception.
Tosh

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
There is a scribbled poster on display in the reception area of Llandudno Swimming Pool,

On close inspection, it transpires that the pool is NOT available to the public, NOR members of the gym, on FOUR out of the next FIVE weekends.

Thats an 80% non-availability rate.   Disgraceful.   &shake& &shake&
Fester...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »
Fester----did you happen to notice why? Not rebuilding work surely!! So who are the four groups who are so important?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »
One good thing I have noticed the pool is much quieter now on Thursday nights - you can actually manage to swim a length now  without bumping into hordes of kids trying to drown each other!