Author Topic: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors  (Read 68995 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2018, 12:16:50 pm »
I can't find the thread Fester started about Llandudno Swimming pool (where is that btw)

But the laughs keep on coming - visited for first time in a while yesterday and saw a notice advertising that henceforth there will be a 20p fee for keeping items in lockers - due to the "cost of maintaining lockers"  visitors were welcome to leave there stuff in a locker without locking it (oxymoron) but it would be left at "the owners own risk"

So for any petty criminals on the look out for some fun Llandudno Swim centre is the place to be!

What WILL happen though is that people will take their bags and clothes into the gym (and swimming pool area) where they can keep an eye on them, thus creating housekeeping and health and safety issues.

It may not be this week, this month, or even this year but sooner or later someone will trip over one of those bags and smash their head into the floor. Then they will sue CCBC and their cost cutting brainwave will have had the opposite effect and cost them a lot of $$$$  $good$

On another note how does one go about getting a job with these numpties? I could think of cost cutting ideas just as clever!

1 - We are no longer having flushing toilets as the water cost is too much to maintain - customers are encouraged to bring their own litter trays or do their business in the bushes outside - however doing toilets outside is at the customer's own risk as Kingdom Security may literally catch you with your trousers down, and issue a fine

2 - We are no longer having lifeguards as the cost of lifeguards is too much to maintain. Blow up rubber rings are available to purchase for £5 from reception or else customers can choose to drown at their own risk

3 - We are no longer having weights in the gym as the cost of weights in the gym is too much to maintain. Customers are urged to lift each other up instead, however anyone lifting Fester does so at their own risk.

Have I got the job  D)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2018, 08:25:17 am »
Just to put this in another perspective and in case people think I'm a moaning old goat. The Junction leisure site is run really well! The staff couldn't be better and rather than constant 'cost cutting' they've just got in a brand new video jukebox with every song anyone could ever think of on it  D)

How can the two be so different when they are under the same authority? Manager trying to impress by pinching pennies and getting over involved at Llandudno I think.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »
I’m glad I don’t go to your Gym then, with all that crappy Irish music that you like, blaring out everywhere.
I’ll stay at my inept, badly managed joke of a gym thanks.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2018, 04:21:49 pm »
Well when I was in there the other day - they had BBC news on TV one side of the room and Smash hits TV or some other pile of rubbish on the other side. Both were turned up to the same sound level so it sounded like some kind of news/pop mash up by Paul Hardcastle or something similar!

Also lockers are free in Junction  $good$

Apart from Llandudno swimming pool I have never seen any other complex charge for using a locker by the way. Not even Pontins where they charge extra for such luxuries as bedding and electricity!

Offline Dave

« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:23 pm »
I imagine the overheads at the swimming pool far exceed those at the Junction and each location has a budget they have to work within. I also imagine that a large proportion of the people using the Junction don't use the changing facilities, instead jumping in to the car and going home to get showered and changed. Can't do that when you have been in the swimming pool!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:25 am »
So do you think a locker charge is an acceptable way to deal it? It will lead to crime and will lead to health and safety issues surely that is going to be a bigger problem in the long run

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2018, 04:08:46 pm »
So do you think a locker charge is an acceptable way to deal it? It will lead to crime and will lead to health and safety issues surely that is going to be a bigger problem in the long run

They’re still free at the moment at LLSC
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2018, 04:27:43 pm »
Well they won't be soon! As there is a sign that says they will be soon be charging 20p per locker per use.

somebody should put you in a locker

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Llandudno swimming pool
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2018, 01:08:07 pm »
The main pool was busy over Xmas in the mornings with the general public taking advantage of there being no schoolchildren having swimming lessons from CCBC.

The kids are back at school this week but so far they have not reappeared into the main pool.

However, the general public do not realise this fact resulting in the pool being virtually empty.

Offline Dave

« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2018, 01:17:58 pm »
The schools didn't, up to 18 months ago anyway, take over the whole pool, just three or four lanes. The rest was open to all.

The issue of charging for lockers is hardly a huge matter at 20p a throw but it does raise the question of how much revenue it will raise, how much will it cost to collect the money and why is it felt necessary ?
How much damage is done to lockers each year? Was it a case of them having to change the locks when the new pound coin was introduced?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2018, 02:13:33 pm »
Dave, the main pool has been completely closed by CCBC to the general public in the mornings since September 2017 during term-time for the sole use of primary school pupil swimming lessons.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:27 pm »
The schools didn't, up to 18 months ago anyway, take over the whole pool, just three or four lanes. The rest was open to all.

The issue of charging for lockers is hardly a huge matter at 20p a throw but it does raise the question of how much revenue it will raise, how much will it cost to collect the money and why is it felt necessary ?
How much damage is done to lockers each year? Was it a case of them having to change the locks when the new pound coin was introduced?

I disagree that it isn't a huge matter at 20p a throw. You would assume that lockers are included in gym membership or in the price of visiting the gym or the pool (as they are at every other gym and swimming pool in the world), depending on how regularly you use it you'd be looking at a rise in cost of between £1 and £4 per month per member. I think at the average membership cost this currently that stands as between a 4% and 16% rise in monthly fees. Way above inflation of course, but this is optional and there comes the bigger problem, several people have already told me on principal they won't pay it and will take their bags inside with them. This will cause health and safety issues. Several people will also leave their belongings unlocked, this will cause crime. Several people will leave and find a gym that isn't run by Scrooge Mcduck, this will cause a loss to their overall income (the pool and the gym are deserted at the best of times, even in January when everyone should be working off their mince pies).

Some people will pay the 20p charge and lock their stuff up, but this will be  Z** in the wind as regards to any serious cost cutting.

Offline Dave

« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »

I did ask the question....why and what will it achieve?

I stopped using the pool 18 months ago as I became  allergic to the chemicals in the water so I wasn't aware that the pool was closed to " general public" when in use by schools. Is there a sudden huge increase in schools usage to warrant such action?

I wonder what percentage of users have membership cards, how much do they cost, ( particularly the over 60's one which is only £11 per year to use the pool) and how many "pay as you go" so to speak. Only when you know the figures, the usage by individuals and the cost incurred by them can you accurately evaluate the increase.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2018, 05:38:55 pm »
I didn't know the over 60s was £11 per year - you can triple my percentage figures then for the elderly - I also believe the pool is free to pensioners isn't it?
Talk about giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

If you read back in the thread you'll see the pool is closed to the general public for child protection reasons rather than anything to do with numbers

Offline Dave

« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2018, 05:48:26 pm »
I don't think the pool is free for pensioners, I think they need to buy the membership card at the discounted rate.

and no, I didn't read back to see the reason for the pool being shut to all but when schools are there. Wonder who thought of that one.