Author Topic: Llandudno swimming pool - a catalogue of admin errors  (Read 69046 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Llandudno swimming pool
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »
Get on to Cllr Brian B Bertola, he's the swimming nut on the Town Council!     >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »
Thanks Guys.

Ian, I am going to speak to John Hardy, the CCBC head of Llandudno Swimming Centre and other leisure services on Monday.
There are several other issues to discuss with him, including the high percentage of broken gym equipment, (some of which has been waiting for approx 1 month for repair), and the lack of supervision in the gym, (despite signs to the contrary)

Yorkie, let's hope that I don't need to reach those lofty levels, and that Mr Hardy will make some sensible changes. But knowing CCBC, I'm not holding my breath.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:47 pm »
Well, here I go again, clutching my gym kit and swimming cossie.

Off I trot to Llandudno Swimming Centre, as Thursday is the ONLY night of the entire week that Joe Public can use the pool, even though Joe Public's money built it.

I saw the usual signs, telling me that this weekend it will be closed to the public, just as it was last weekend, and several other dates in June.   But that's fine... because I want to swim tonight, as stated in the timetable.
I hand in my card, and say ''one gym session,and swim please''.

But NO!   Thwarted again!
Apparently, a child had been sick in the pool in the early afternoon, and it had been closed for 5 hours since, and would remain closed for the rest of the night.

Incredulously I asked if it was really possible that this MULTI MILLION POUND, state of the art, swimming facility can be entirely stopped in its tracks by a kid being sick?    Did the architects and designers not foresee this possibility?

Surely, that's what those sluice or drain things are for, which are all around every self-respecting swimming pool?

Why can it be closed for this reason?   Of course I got no sensible answer from the poor beleaguered Jobsworth on reception.

People spit out water from time to time whilst swimming, people have even been known to pee in a swimming pool. 
Is this a potential hazard which can de-rail such a huge investment?   Or is it just another ludicrous example of mismanagement, or Health and Safety gone mad?

:rage: :rage: :rage:

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2014, 07:52:06 am »
It does seem absurd. Presumably, they either have a 'policy' on this, or a rather nervous manager.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2014, 09:49:11 am »
I thought that all those bucket full's of Chlorine were supposed to take care of hygiene problems!    :puke2: :puke2:
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 10:19:03 am »
The thought of that is exactly why I will never go in a swimming pool!  :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 11:22:17 am »
Well, here I go again, clutching my gym kit and swimming cossie.

:rage: :rage: :rage:

haha I went there yesterday too - looking forward to a nice relaxing swim to prepare me for my race tonight! I knew you would 'love it', hence why I posted it on your wife's facebook
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:04:21 pm by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 05:09:07 pm »
The thought of that is exactly why I will never go in a swimming pool!  :o

The sea is even worse!    _))*
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 05:25:10 pm »
I would never go in that either, I only go in the shower, that's fine for me!  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 06:48:00 pm »
I only go in the shower, that's fine for me!

Makes the crawl really tricky, though.   :) :) :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 07:28:47 pm »
 _))* although I can swim, the last time was 1985!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »
I would never go in that either, I only go in the shower, that's fine for me!  $good$

A great argument for having one's own private pool in the back garden.  But then you have to ensure your friends are sympathetic to your own ideals!    :o
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:51 pm »
Opening is restricted again for the next few days because of problems with the 'moveable floor' according to CCBC twitter feed.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2014, 12:38:03 am »
Opening is restricted again for the next few days because of problems with the 'moveable floor' according to CCBC twitter feed.

Ian used the word 'absurd'
Never has a better word been used in association with this badly managed and costly facility.

Actually, I object to the word facility, as that implies something that can be used!
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:47 pm »
Too busy recently to ATTEMPT to use the Gym and Pool, but also remember the Pool has been out of action for several weeks due to the moveable floor not functioning.

So, tonight it was time for me to try again.
To leave nothing to chance I phoned up at 6pm, and clearly said I was looking to use to gym AND the pool,  and I was assured everything was fine.
30 minutes later, I tentatively walked in, handed over my membership card with trepidation.... and wondered what excuse they could dream up this time to prevent me using the facilities for which I so handsomely pay.

I wasn't disappointed!  I was immediately told, 'Sorry Sir, you can't use the gym.... it's been closed to all users, as the air conditioning has not been working, and its Health and Safety!'

Apparently, the gym cannot be used in temperatures over 22 degrees.
After recovering from the shock, I pointed out that it was now much cooler, but the decision had been taken earlier in the day!

To add insult to injury, the girl on reception didn't recall my phonecall, despite admitting it must have been her that took it.

The Duty Manager, bless her, did her best to apologise, and calm me down.... but the over arching issue still remains, that those who PAY (by several means, including taxes, and subscriptions), can rarely make use of these inadequate and badly managed facilities.   It's just not good enough, and it's actually getting worse.
Fester...