Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 409157 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #585 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:52 pm »
Hmm,  Nope, I'm no wiser.  ???
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #586 on: July 13, 2013, 12:35:52 am »
Weather fantastic for the remaining Kiosks on Colwyn Bay Promenade. We stopped tonight and the beach was heaving and the Kiosk there was still going strong at 8.45 pm as was the other two further towards Rhos.
Just goes to show what a little sunshine can do. So many having Ice creams and que ing at that time of the evening. The new beach has made an enormous impact locally and very popular. Looks like there is also  someone keeping an eye on things too  8)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #587 on: July 13, 2013, 07:08:43 pm »
We had a look yesterday afternoon, the beach was busy, that is a great feature, Llandudno needs it next!
As for the Skip by the Sea, we saw the sharp edges that Linda Mentioned, no sign of a cafe! but they have food and drink vending machines, better than nothing I suppose! All the windows were open, no air con yet, seems that they are waiting for an internet connection for the 'managed building' ! We actually saw a couple of jet skis!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline BMD

« Reply #588 on: July 13, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »
I noticed the vending machine. It's an odd space at the moment (which, I suppose, is what you get at the intersection of two ramps). Maybe they should get someone in with a bit of skill & imagination to sort the interior out.

Meanwhile, when I last visited (Wednesday), one of the conference rooms was being used for a meeting. Apparently it was the council trying it out. Good to know there's enough room for office meetings in a flagship "attraction" by the beach. I mean, everyone must be completely OUT of office space back in town, where offices are usually found.  ;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »
I've just remembered, I was told that part of the delay in opening the cafe was that it is built on what was the beach and that is Crown Estate and they have to give permission!?  ???

Offline viv

« Reply #590 on: July 13, 2013, 09:43:19 pm »
That is correct ME. Permission has now been given so they are looking for someone -also for the shops. I have passed Linda's concerns about the sharp edges and been assured that someone will be checking that.

Offline Linda

« Reply #591 on: July 13, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »
Thanks Viv! It isnt just where ME is pointing to in his photo, the main worry is at foot level by the glass wall . Pieces of sharp metal jutting upwards that should have been shaped more to tuck behind some facing. If a child was jumping around by the Glass wall and slipped would be lethal like a blade. Glad it will be dealt with.

Offline viv

« Reply #592 on: July 14, 2013, 11:13:02 pm »
I just copied and pasted the appropriate bits of your post -without your name!- to the person at the council, so hopefully something will be done. MEs pic came later. These really are things that should have been picked up during the snagging period!

Offline Linda

« Reply #593 on: July 14, 2013, 11:53:18 pm »
Thats good news Viv! I glad someone can look at it and quickly. School hols next week. I have only walked on there twice and saw it straight off with my hubby, why the powers that be didnt spot it completely baffles me too  $good$ $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:39 am »
That is correct ME. Permission has now been given so they are looking for someone -also for the shops. I have passed Linda's concerns about the sharp edges and been assured that someone will be checking that.
They were advertising for a cafe tenant over two years ago, though, as soon as construction started? Would it really take two years to gain permission on what is basically a techicality?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #595 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »
There is a further problem at Porth Eirias as locals are not allowed on the upper deck car parking area when any use is being made of the slipway.  It is now regularly cordoned off with silly signs saying,"reserved for Colwyn Bay Water Ski Club" or " reserved for vehicles with trailers" or other such words.
The Harbourmaster says that it is to make everything work smoothly as they can get up to 60 craft launching in a day.  The only thing is that many of the vehicles in the " reserved" parking area do not even have tow hitches, let alone trailers.   It seems the facility paid for by locals is not open to locals.

To ensure things run smoothly the Harbour Meister deploys two of his staff at the site to keep out would be parkers and check that the slipway users have paid their dues.

According to the HM (no, not His Majesty) no one gets any special treatment or are any reservations implemented.

££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:12 pm »
Spent sometime with my 3 year grandson down at the waterfront today to avoid the weekend crowds. Very pleasant and fairly clean on the beach by the steps, did wonder why a small launch continued to circle from the slipway out around the buoys constantly for an or so. Also a chappy with some surveying equipment continued to monitor at the waters edge. If anyone knows would appreciate enlightenment.

Another big gripe though im afraid, took my grandson on the 'Pirate ship' frame at the end of the waterfront as it was quiet.Looks like fun with little slide and wheel . Just tell me though who was the
designer of that! Nothing to stop kids falling off on one side, and the front or bow where it has a little telescope one step and your 6ft plus down on your head on the floor, no safety guards. Lethal for toddlers. No sign to say its for over 6 or 7sevens. I had to climb up with him and prance over the deck to stop him falling off. square hole with council rail step up, not guard around, child could walk along and straight through onto ground. . Inspite of constant watching he did manage to fall on ladder made from chunky council railing that little hands couldnt get a proper grip on. GRRRRRR! Im afraid another complaint from me and i hate myself for it, as folk are having a nice time at that beach so far. But wish someone would get a grip! if you build something with kids in mind Blinking well do it properly and safe or leave it to the people that can.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #597 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:08 am »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #598 on: July 19, 2013, 10:41:50 am »
And those are the good points!  :twoface:

Offline Linda

« Reply #599 on: July 19, 2013, 11:09:03 am »
And those are the good points!  :twoface:

And so say all of us, doesnt make sense that there isnt a way in for disabled people or pushchairs. we had to climb and swing over the wall  when carrying stuff. Is is nice when you get on it though.  :)