Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 408588 times)

Offline Mikethewatch

Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #945 on: July 29, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »
Given CCBC's record we can probably double that !

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #946 on: July 29, 2014, 04:37:35 pm »
Porth Eirias: cost to refit for Bryn's bistro is CONFIRMED to be between £300,000-£400,000.

Should not be allowed! How can so called experts approve plans for a building that is not fit for purpose (in many ways including being dangerous!) how can it be so wrong? You could build several houses for that price! How do they expect to recover those costs? What rent will Bryn be paying I wonder? I also wonder how long he will remain open for in that location! Silly Skip!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline alw

« Reply #947 on: July 29, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »
A little bird tells me that Bryn will no longer be opening at Porth Eirias, no official word as yet of course
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #948 on: July 29, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »
I said all along, more chance of Fanny Craddock opening a bistro in there!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #949 on: July 29, 2014, 08:01:53 pm »
The whole episode is turning into a bigger farce than has ever been at the Whitehall Theatre!   The whole Council and its Officers, need firing.   I also think that a very strong complaint should be lodged with the Local Government Ombudsman, not that it would do any good, they are all just one of a kind!
 :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #950 on: July 29, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »
Just saw this on Oscar!

Anonymous said...
Just been on North Wales Weekly News FB page, and the decision re: giving him money and how much its going to be, is to be decided 'behind closed doors' due to 'commercial sensitivity'...so basically we will not know how much PUBLIC money is being given to this venture...the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

29 July 2014 13:17

Offline BMD

« Reply #951 on: July 30, 2014, 11:00:43 am »
I've received a reply to my Foi request on Porth Eirias: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/expenditure_income_for_porth_eir#incoming-544550

Some important parts seem to be missing, eg reference to "See attached which includes the planned bistro/food offer". It's not attached as far as I can see.

The other information is sparse. But it's interesting to see that the total income it has made is between £13K and £16.5K, depending on whether you include some vague addition for "Tourism/Leisure Contribution".

The cost of running it is put at £104K
Plus £69K for miscellaneous promotions, advertising, etc.
Total construction cost is put at £3.6m; and design team fees at £320K.

I'll be sending them a few follow-up questions. The employee costs seem on low side (they don't cite the period, but it's supposed be since it was opened) - as do maintenance costs (only £676).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #952 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:36 am »
Interesting that they have to pay Crown Estates 10% of all Gross Income, in addition to a rental fee for the site.  &shake&

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #953 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:16 pm »
I've received a reply to my Foi request on Porth Eirias: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/expenditure_income_for_porth_eir#incoming-544550

Some important parts seem to be missing, eg reference to "See attached which includes the planned bistro/food offer". It's not attached as far as I can see.

The other information is sparse. But it's interesting to see that the total income it has made is between £13K and £16.5K, depending on whether you include some vague addition for "Tourism/Leisure Contribution".

The cost of running it is put at £104K
Plus £69K for miscellaneous promotions, advertising, etc.
Total construction cost is put at £3.6m; and design team fees at £320K.

The figures you have differ somewhat from the figures they sent me!   Funny, I thought, funny!  Could just hear Dudley Moore uttering those words!   
 :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #954 on: July 30, 2014, 12:32:51 pm »
Yorkie, I saw the earlier info you posted - the total £11,345,612 grant matched the figure they supplied to me. This figure is pretty useless, though, as it includes funding for promenade enhancement, road improvement, etc. There's no way to tell how much of it has gone to Porth Eirias.

I'd be interested to see any other info they sent you, and to compare it with the stuff they've just sent me.

By the way, does anyone know what "Attendants (CLC/TIC)" refers to? It one of the Porth Eirias employees expenses, and came to a total of £8,798. Is it security? Seems low as a total.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #955 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:30 pm »
I assume it refers to the people who occasionally man the Reception Desk?

CLC = Colwyn leisure Centre, TIC = Tourist Information Centre.

Offline BMD

« Reply #956 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:45 pm »
I assume it refers to the people who occasionally man the Reception Desk?

CLC = Colwyn leisure Centre, TIC = Tourist Information Centre.

Yes, that would make sense - and would explain why it's low (as sometimes the supervisor, and sometimes informally - and presumably unpaid - the CB watersports guys take reception desk duties).

It suggests they've excluded security costs entirely from the list.

One other thing that strikes me - they got a mere £1,500 in tenant rental, in total, presumably from Colwyn Bay Watersports. That's a remarkably low amount for expensive, purpose-built "flagship" facilities.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #957 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »
Hi guys,

Tom Davidson from the Weekly News here. Just wanted to say thanks to BMD for the FOI request - a lot of my attempts in the past have been rebuffed. Some very interesting figures revealed which I have used for the paper tomorrow, along with a write up on Monday's report with refit figure.

For all the news I get on ongoing Porth Eirias debacle you can follow me on Twitter @weeklynewsbay - I will be live tweeting from Monday's scrutiny meeting. Although if the report remains exempt I won't have much to tweet about!

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline BMD

« Reply #958 on: July 30, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »
Thanks, Tom. Hopefully they'll eventually see that it's not doing them much good keeping these things secretive. Keep up the good work on the Weekly News!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #959 on: July 30, 2014, 03:46:41 pm »
Indeed.  Good to have you on board.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.