Author Topic: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley  (Read 39667 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »
Going back even further in time, all Wales dry, coach trips on a Sunday used to go to just past the railway bridge in Saltney by Chester. Two pubs there just about in England mike

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
I think the Tal Y Cafn Hotel (also boarded up and for sale) is a much better proposition for anyone thinking of buying a pub in that area.

The Ferry, over the bridge from Tal-Y-Cafn gone. The Estuary, at Glan Conwy gone. The Tal-Y-Cafn  boarded up. Not a good time to think of investing in a Pub with a river view on the Conwy.  Z**
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:31 pm »
..now that any competition has gone, you mean?  ;)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:58 am »
With a decent chef and a good manager the Tal-Y-Cafn could do very well.  It's worth remembering that people are prepared to travel quite a distance once they find a place that serves good food at a decent price. That's how the Maenan Abbey has done so well, and continues to do well. The Tal-Y-Cafn is also situated rather nicely, with a train station next to it, good views if they re-jigged the interior and a reasonable distance from the three main towns.  In the right hands it could be a little gold mine, I suspect.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 07:55:25 pm »
Ian,  that also holds true for The Groes Inn,  people travel a long way for  that hostelry too.

It's over-rated in my experience.  Each to their own.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 08:08:43 pm »
 The Tal y Cafn has more ups and downs over the last ten years than anywhere. All due to either very good or terrible management.
  There have been very, very good landlords swinging straight away to young brewery managers who hadn't got a clue.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:53 pm »
The Tal y Cafn has more ups and downs over the last ten years than anywhere. All due to either very good or terrible management.
  There have been very, very good landlords swinging straight away to young brewery managers who hadn't got a clue.

You have to ask why the very good landlords didn't stay on if the Tal-y-Cafn was such a good business proposition. It’s just like everywhere else, country pubs no matter how well run, don't seem to be viable. Obviously one or two will buck the trend I'm please to say, but for the majority their day is done.  ZXZ

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 09:36:01 pm »
   From the food point of view, probably the best run period was when two men ran it. They left to take over another place, The Hawk and Buckle in Llannefyd. The reason they gave was because it had more rooms for letting out overnight.
  However a young husband and wife team ran it for a time around five years ago and they did everything possible to drum up trade. And I do mean everything.
   But they spent a lot of money on the property and rebuilt the carpark. Only my guess but I would say they threw too much money at it, and the profits were not enough

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:28 am »

You have to ask why the very good landlords didn't stay on if the Tal-y-Cafn was such a good business proposition. It’s just like everywhere else, country pubs no matter how well run, don't seem to be viable. Obviously one or two will buck the trend I'm please to say, but for the majority their day is done.  ZXZ
I went there a couple of times before it closed, it was a bit hit & miss. You need to be consistently good to successfully operate a business in that sort of location. The Groes Inn does very well, though, so no reason why the Tal Y Cafn can't do just as well, especially since it is on a far busier road.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 11:59:29 am »
   But they spent a lot of money on the property and rebuilt the carpark. Only my guess but I would say they threw too much money at it, and the profits were not enough

I completely agree with you Mike. She who must be obeyed says “Everything the business needs must be paid for from earnings of the business”. It might take longer to do it that way but you don’t end up losing what you have, due to over extending yourself, on what are normally wildly overoptimistic expectations. Her well thought-out reasoning has kept us solvent for the last 16 years whilst at the same time going through 5 sets of neighbours.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 12:21:37 pm »
Wise words there. Same situation here. We are the longest staying incumbents of our road, in our trade that is !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »

I completely agree with you Mike. She who must be obeyed says “Everything the business needs must be paid for from earnings of the business”. It might take longer to do it that way but you don’t end up losing what you have, due to over extending yourself, on what are normally wildly overoptimistic expectations. Her well thought-out reasoning has kept us solvent for the last 16 years whilst at the same time going through 5 sets of neighbours.

John and David did a great job at The Lion in Gwytherin, then the Lord Newborough and the Tal Y Cafn.   They were  always packed when we went there for a meal.  I'm sure that they are doing the same at the Hawk and Buckle too.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 03:39:43 pm »
Now that is what might be described as an old fashioned outlook on how to run a business. Completely went out of fashion around 5/10 years ago. After the financial shake ups of the last year or two I reckon it might very well be very much back in fashion now. Mike

Offline Blongb

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:48 pm »
Basic common sense economics never change Mike. It's just that there are more devious, double dealing, greed motivated, people out there now, all devising more intricate ways than ever to steal your money and sadly I include our National Government amongst them. Take for instance David Cameron’s latest blunder. He's come back from Europe with a great big smile because he has managed to cut the EU's Budget to €908bn. What he failed to tell you is that our National contribution to that €908bn will increase because part of getting that deal was to reduce our hard won rebate. As Del Boy would say the man and his Chancellor are a pair of Plonkers.  $angry$

Offline Linda

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »
ME, if you're in that area then the Mares Tails waterfall near Gwydir Castle is worth a visit as they are quite spectacular.

that looks lovely ,how would we get to the falls as havent heard of it. after 40years living in the area.... :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:20:18 am by Ian »