Author Topic: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley  (Read 40137 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 03:26:53 pm »
That's the point, Mike. Once completed, Maenan Abbey's passing traffic will decrease by about 99%.

No, it won't, Dave; the Abbey is on the 'new' stretch of road that will connect with the works, so there'll be no change in the volume of passing traffic.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:37 pm »
Oh yes, I see what you mean, I was thinking it was the stretch nearer Llanrwst. I've attached a plan showing the new route.

I've always thought that the A470 would benefit immensely from a slight widening along most of its length in the Conwy Valley - most accidents occur when there is someone overtaking and a car comes the other way. The oncoming car has nowhere to go to avoid being hit by the overtaking car, a wider road would give enough room to avoid an accident.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:19 pm »
The stretch from the Abbey to Llanrwst is done, so this is the next piece in the jigsaw.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »
Lets hope the Llanrwst By-Pass isn't too far off either *cycle*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »
Not even slated.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 12:54:24 pm »
Not even slated.

North Wales is really being treated like a doesn't matter Back Water, when it comes to the allocation of resources by the WAG, for infrastructure projects. Remember the A55 was funded by the EEC, so that the Irish road traffic could get access to the English Motorway system, not for the benefit of the people who actually live and work here.  &shake& 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »
    As to the Llanrwst bypass, Llanrwst must be the only town in the whole country which, when asked around 15 years ago "Do you want a bypass" loudly said NO WE DON'T.

So, they didn't get one. There were plans, of course there were usual objections, but the whole body of opinion in Llanrwst was leave it as it is.

Not so sure they would say the same now, 15 years later

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 07:05:02 pm »
           A friend sent me this short u-tube video of the way that the heavy industrial plant was transported up the Valley line to the Tan-y-Grisiau power station in 1962 which shows the methods used in those days (i.e. no " 'elf and safety!").
           Those who know the area might find it very interesting, and also the mechanical-minded will appreciate the efforts of those involved. The only snag is that I always always seem to have a problem inserting a link onto the Forum so apologies if it doesn't work, it worked on an earlier e-mail I sent. If it doesn't come out perhaps some kind Forum member will post some info on how to post links etc., and what I am doing wrong!   Thankyou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFqEelJgvI0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:52:37 pm by Ian »

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 07:41:17 pm »
The link doesn't seem to work, Gwynant.
I remember this happening - it was on a Sunday. The transformer was to be installed at the Ffestiniog Pumped-Storage scheme.
Footage also exists on one of the British Transport Films' series produced by the BFI.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55:54 pm »
Your link wasn't in the right format, Gwynant.  The easiest way is to get the video up in your browser, then go to the top URL bar and select that, then copy it.  You then paste it into the post you're making.  I've cut and pasted a link using that method, but it's not your link. If you post the email your friend sent you in here without changing anything then I can sort it for you.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:17 pm »
             Apologies, once again I fail with a link, but I don't what I am doing wrong. The video and link was taken from the North Wales Coast Railway-Notice Board News web page (Week-Commencing 16th Feb 2015) and the film was made by the British Transport Films. There is a scene on the platform at Blaenau when an elderly lady walks past a taut straining wire hawser connected to a winch on a Pickfords tractor with her shopping bag without a glance, modern day safety "jobsworths" would have fainted! 

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2015, 08:05:41 pm »
                    Thanks for your advice Ian, I'll try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afvGStYT9xI

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2015, 08:32:19 pm »
I have just watched it Gwynant no trouble at all, quite interesting. ME will like it no doubt

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2015, 10:42:10 pm »
That was great to watch! Thanks Gwynant! The building of that power station meant that the old route of the Festiniog Railway was flooded by the new lake. At the time the power company never thought the railway would be rebuilt, a big court case followed which the railway won! The FR built a deviation starting with the spiral loop at Dduallt with the line at a higher level and the reached Blaenau Ffestiniog in 82 so all was well in the end!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blongb

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 03:33:22 pm »
There is a scene on the platform at Blaenau when an elderly lady walks past a taut straining wire hawser connected to a winch on a Pickfords tractor with her shopping bag without a glance, modern day safety "jobsworths" would have fainted!

Gwynant , back in 1981 in the middle of the night, we had the misfortune to be called out to a Shell Tanker laying off  the Bonny Roads, offshore Port Harcourt , Nigeria. We had been tasked to take our Doctor to the Ship and recover a Lascar Seaman, who had just had his left leg severed above the knee by a straining hawser that parted just as he walked by.

“Job’s worth”, bring them on, the more the merrier. Notice how the R.N.L.I. now keep the kids away from their Boat when it’s being recovered?