Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 552742 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1830 on: September 01, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »
The local 'rules' are that the vehicle that makes it to the crown first has right of way. The activator for the lights on the Trefriw side are at the bottom of the bridge slope on the Llanrwst side. If you drive at approx 20mph coming from the Trefriw side you will almost always make it to the crown before encountering another vehicle from the Llanrwst side.

The system works perfectly for most of the time; the locals know and understand it and drive accordingly. It's only when there's a lot of visitors that things can get confused.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1831 on: September 08, 2017, 11:44:29 pm »
been to watch the big O storey (Barry Steel)All 60s to the 80s music at Venue Cymru. What a good show and very good value for money.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1832 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:37 am »
been to watch the big O storey (Barry Steel)All 60s to the 80s music at Venue Cymru. What a good show and very good value for money.

The Big O, as in Roy Orbison?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1833 on: September 09, 2017, 09:08:51 am »
That's him. He's very good.I have seen him a few times.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1834 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:26 pm »
yes that,s the man a good tribute singer but there will only ever be one big O.He had a singer who played the piano he was very good as well, as i said well worth watching

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Forum friends
« Reply #1835 on: September 20, 2017, 01:41:29 pm »
 Lovely visitors I had today. A member and his good lady wife. A real three towns forum friend

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1836 on: September 30, 2017, 02:22:06 pm »
I am a great reader if the daily post. I love it. But there are often times it infuriates me. And today is no exception.
  The weather forcast for this area tomorrow says chance of rain. And a picture of sun hiding behind a cloud. Off to page seven. A fairly lengthy news item saying about how the extreme weather warning fir north wales tomorrow of excessive rain, floods etc now extended to cover gales as well.
  Doesent anyone on daily post staff just spend five final minutes skimming through the new issue? Doesent appear to be anyone. Similar occurances happen on a regular basis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1837 on: October 01, 2017, 08:59:46 am »
Not defending them, Mike, but the Met office has been modifying the extreme weather reports for a couple of days, sometimes on an hourly basis. As they approach closer to the events it becomes easier to refine the accuracy of the forecast.  Couple of days ago it was supposed to be hammering down most of today. Now it will be a tad damp, but not much else. The gales, etc. are due tomorrow.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1838 on: October 01, 2017, 11:42:00 am »
Oh yes I can understand this. In effect the weather forcast was the most resent and the news item was a bit out of date.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1839 on: October 20, 2017, 09:33:48 pm »
a friend sent me this today and i thought it would make a good topic for members to add to if Ian could start it on a new page as i don,t know how.                                                                             

If you think life was better 20 years ago, think again

Were we truly better off 20 years ago? We’re forever being told that living standards in the West are declining, or at least stagnating. But if you’re old enough, cast your mind back to how you lived in 1997.
There was no Wi-Fi, no Wiki, no Google. Although the internet existed, it was limited and laboured, and few of us had emails. Starbucks hadn’t arrived in the UK; its forerunner, Seattle Coffee, was just starting to make decent coffee more widely available. EasyJet operated only one international route, from Luton to Amsterdam, and older airlines, facing scant competition, charged accordingly. To go abroad, you didn’t book your flight online, let alone your hotel; you had to go to a travel agent. Photography involved rolls 
of film, which sometimes didn’t develop.
In what sense, then, are we supposed to be poorer? The surveys that suggest a decline in living standards are usually based on real wages. The entry into the global market of hundreds of millions of new workers since the Nineties has indeed reduced the relative value of labour, but it has also vastly improved the quality, as well as the affordability, of goods and services.
How can we measure the difference in value between tasty coffee and watery coffee? Or put a price on the increased availability of good wine, once the preserve of the upper middle classes? How can we quantify the fact that most of us are now in what used to be called “the jet set”? What about the explosion in home entertainment over the past 20 years? In 1997, we had a choice of four TV channels – Channel Five was launched in March that year – plus maybe a Blockbuster video. Now we can decide what to watch, when, and on what medium.
These things are almost impossible to evaluate, so we rarely try. Instead, we stick to tangible measures like wages, disposable income and asset values, which can tell a falsely glum story. Then again, people have nodded along to falsely glum stories since at least the time of Seneca.
We can’t time-travel to 1997, but if we had to live for a just week as we did 20 years ago, we’d be cured of our nostalgia. The one big exception is the price of housing, which has risen relative to income – though as a result of restrictive planning rules and high immigration, not of economic decline.
By almost every other metric, things are getting better faster. Last week, a survey by Goldsmith’s, University of London asked people for their daily anxieties. The top three responses were waiting around for deliveries, forgetting online passwords and leaving your phone at home. Asked 
the same thing in 1997, respondents said finding a happy relationship, earning enough to pay the bills and saving for a holiday. Even our first-world problems are becoming more first-worldy.
No generation has been as wealthy as ours, though our children will surpass us. And you know what? When they do, they will complain, like every previous generation, that they live in a uniquely unhappy age.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1840 on: October 21, 2017, 09:28:09 am »
It's factually wrong on a couple of points:

In 1997, we had a choice of four TV channels

BSB and Sky started broadcasting in 1990, so there were vast numbers of channels from then on. Still little to actually watch, mind...

the price of housing, which has risen relative to income – though as a result of restrictive planning rules and high immigration, not of economic decline.

The cost of housing has outpaced earnings, so not relative to income.  The immigration referred to would have to be the wealthy buying up property in London, so housing there became scarce creating a boom which resonated throughout the UK.

But the tenor is right: people always look back with rose-tinted specs. Yet crime rates were far, far higher in the cities around 1900, for instance.  And I do remember as a child that clothes I put on were always damp, since we didn't have central heating and none in the bedrooms, which closely followed the external weather temperature.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1841 on: October 21, 2017, 11:50:53 am »
I could debate a few things but I don't eel inclined and I’ll leave it as heating as it is a bit of a hot topic at home just now.  Bit of a drift maybe but.

Heating has gone with the property. I don’t r ember Swan (with the possible exception of there being   a 2 bar electric fire in the living room) say 67-73 as being that bad.  Kent say 73-78 was a new property an archtiect had built for himself. We had to had all the heating redone.  Skerryvore say 78-95 was freezing upstairs and there was many a year when I fixed burst pipes in winter. Unlike the previous ones, that never had central heating in our time although there was a wood burner in one downstairs room and a nice open fire in another.

I gather things were positively dangerous when my parents moved here in the mid late 90with an oil boiler hanging off an interior wall and.  They had it redone but there were always a few niggles. The system packed in this year (probably clogged pipes).

After much debate, we have opted for a reasonably fresh start. The 90’s old boiler was reckoned still to be serviceable but if it did pack in, 2017 regs would not allow a replacement inside venting under the kitchen window.  There were other concerns too; suffice it to say we have opted for an external boiler and a sealed system with a stainless steel water cylinder.

And modern controls. The plumbing side so far looks great and should put everything to bed once and for all but the electricians are stuck with the Evo system. I’d suspect a wiring fault as the C/H valve (S Plan) stays open without a call from the wireless relay (which doesn’t seem to respond to a  call from the central controller) but what do I know?  All I really know is that having been stuck for a couple of hours, the electrician (and apprentice) called in another one from the company and they are still stuck.  When they abandoned it around 8pm on Thursday, there was talk of getting Honeywell in.  We will know more on Monday.

So here we are in sunny (actually today is gorgeous here at the moment) stuck (being a bit silly maybe but trying to give a cynical look to the comments that started this) 2017 with a system that 2017 electricians don’t appear to understand...

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1842 on: October 21, 2017, 03:13:30 pm »
Or maybe I will dive in jst one one aspect…  I don’t stretch back as far as  97 but I think the at least by 99 Internet was in some ways a nicer place.  OK, as someone who remembers setting up home Internet sharing on a 56K dial up modem, there are some things you don’t want to go back to but in a household with no interest in Netflix, etc. I might debate the needs for the modern speeds (we don’t get here – about 3Mb on copper wire).

Although not as vast as now (and I don’t deny somewhere along the line, esp when I was more inclined to DIY, finding Screwfix [altough that was one less customer for the local shops – actually are/were a couple of good ones round here – I don’t know who here would remember the old Craig-Y-Don place or maybe its still there  -sort of everything to be found somewhere and a guy who understood what you wanted and could find it) or even online weekly shopping with Tesco) but my irst online purcase was early it.  I don’t listen to much recorded stuff but it was a CD by Sean Keane (fiddler with the Chieftans), sold and shipped from the US by a company called CD Now.  Kind of obscure, I guess but findable even in say 99/00 Internet days.

The Internet felt friendlier (or more naive) back then and of course we had the excitement of getting involved in something still reasonably new - and at one point I was part of an online singing/playing folk music live when Hearme and later Paltalk started - to hear others live in almost real time from as far a field as US, NZ,and UK was amazing.  Of course flame wars and trolling (usually to start a flame war) existed even then but I can’t relate that to the these days regular reports of people spouting off quite foul bile on Twitter. Etc.  I also don’t remember the concerns I might have over the giants like Google possibly aiming to collect our every move for marketing.

Fo better or worse, maybe for here and now, it’s best left to the individual to judge but I don’t see things as plain as the OP on this leg...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1843 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »
I do remember that sometimes it got nasty back in 1990 - that was on irc - the forerunner to all social media. But I can only imagine fewer were online anyway, so it was more like a large village than the teeming city it's now become. 

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1844 on: October 21, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
I do remember that sometimes it got nasty back in 1990 - that was on irc - the forerunner to all social media.

And still in use.  Not one I've looked at more than once or twice but does seem to retain a following as platform of choice at least in some more tech/development circles.

But I can only imagine fewer were online anyway, so it was more like a large village than the teeming city it's now become.

A  reasonable assessment...