Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 552882 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1815 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53:36 pm »
Very different.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #1816 on: July 29, 2017, 09:12:47 am »
Setting cruise control for, say, 20mph in Llandudno would be useless - braking overrides it but then it is relying on you braking!

There is far too much concentration on what the dashboard is telling you - your speed should be governed by what you see in front of you and what the road conditions are ... in other words the speed "governor" is your brain via what you can see, the control is via your right foot.

Sat Navs do show up the max speed limit where you are but many change and your Sat Nav is not updated - e.g. the new 20mph limits in Llandudno don't show up on Sat Navs.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1817 on: July 29, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »
Setting cruise control for, say, 20mph in Llandudno would be useless - braking overrides it but then it is relying on you braking!

I disagree, I always use cruise control for 20, 30, 40mph limits and it makes for a more relaxed drive as you just concentrate on the road. I accept braking cancels it but that means traffic is traveling slower than the limit, once it speeds up again you re-engage the cruise. Simples.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1818 on: July 29, 2017, 02:14:19 pm »
Most cruise control won't engage below 25 mph. Adaptive Cruise control is better, but I've always found that speeds are so erratic in built up areas it's usually futile to try using it for any distance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DVT

« Reply #1819 on: July 29, 2017, 03:26:24 pm »
Don't know what car you have SDQ but it must be a lot simpler to set cruise control than it is on mine.  The only time I use it is if going through speed limited roadworks on motorways or the A55 if no other traffic.

Otherwise cruise control is at the lower end of my right leg !

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1820 on: July 29, 2017, 04:53:54 pm »
Don't know what car you have SDQ but it must be a lot simpler to set cruise control than it is on mine.  The only time I use it is if going through speed limited roadworks on motorways or the A55 if no other traffic.

Otherwise cruise control is at the lower end of my right leg !

VW Passat CC, the cruise control has a dedicated stalk on the steering column.
It's a Godsend in those long 30mph stretches from Junction to Llandudno via Deganwy and Rhos seafront from Penrhyn Bay to be honest. Once it's on you can control the speed using the stalk without touching the pedals too. I wouldn't be without it now!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1821 on: July 29, 2017, 05:12:08 pm »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154611066641714&id=169925331713

I hope this link works,  its funny... the Yorkshire Haka.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1822 on: July 29, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
Nay lad wheers thi Ferrit? :D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1823 on: July 30, 2017, 08:51:23 am »
Probably how the original started.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1824 on: August 12, 2017, 08:43:21 pm »
Fester, really. A car with a speed limiter on the A55 for example. The mind boggles.
  I,m not sure about a cruise control but must admit I've never experienced one. But what is your objection to my suggestion?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1825 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:12 pm »
Fester, really. A car with a speed limiter on the A55 for example. The mind boggles.
  I,m not sure about a cruise control but must admit I've never experienced one. But what is your objection to my suggestion?

I've..... no idea what you're on about Mike?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1826 on: August 13, 2017, 08:29:59 am »
I think Mike is responding to a post you made on July 27th...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1827 on: September 01, 2017, 11:37:55 am »
I see this old chestnut has raised its head again. A tip I worked out years back was that if you're approaching from the Trefriw side, and you can get past the second set of lights before the amber light comes on, then you will be able to get to the top of the bridge (and thus establish your right to continue) before a vehicle coming from the Llanrwst side.

Historic Llanrwst bridge stand-off between motorists unwilling to back down prompts traffic lights call
Regular queues build up as motorists both trying to pass single track bridge from opposite directions refuse to back up

BY MARC WADDINGTON-NW
13:06, 31 AUG 2017UPDATED13:16, 31 AUG 2017

A stand-off between motorists on a historic town’s narrow bridge has sparked calls for a solution to the problem.

Tourist Greg Mape, from Manchester, was visiting North Wales on Tuesday when he spotted an impasse between drivers on the historic Pont Fawr bridge in Llanrwst.

The bridge has stood in the town since the 17th century but is too narrow for two vehicles to pass, causing traffic problems.

Mr Mape said the use of traffic lights could prevent such issues occuring.

He said: “I am not from Llanwrst but often visit the Conwy Valley and often see hold ups around the bridge. Traffic lights at both ends of the bridge might help.”

He said the problem of the narrow road was clear yesterday when motorists had to leave their vehicles in an attempt to clear the route.

Mr Mape added: “Yesterday we were walking by the river and saw traffic stuck on the bridge.

“Several motorists got out of their cars trying to organise a clear route.

“Eventually common sense won, several cars backed down and normality was restored.”

Conwy Council have been approached for comment on whether any measures could be brought in to avoid a repeat of the situation.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/historic-llanrwst-bridge-stand-between-13554309

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1828 on: September 01, 2017, 12:24:12 pm »
Isn't there a traffic light warning system on the Betws Y Coed side of the bridge?      I only cross over the bridge to Llanrwst  when the lights indicate that it is clear to do so.
Once over the crown of the bridge then it's up to the traffic on the Llanrwst side to reverse back.   Traffic lights might create a serious backup of traffic on the busy A470

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1829 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:54 pm »
I used the bridge most days for 14 years, without any major problems, common sense says those coming from Trefriw reverse, as it is safer than reversing back onto the main road on the Llanrwst side. 

These are the main two problems "common sense and the in/ability to reverse" the same can be said of the single track roads with passing places, in that area, I enjoyed many a fiasco up there, pity we did not have dash cams then, I could have had my own U tube site. ;) ;)