Author Topic: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction  (Read 95879 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 05:42:53 pm »
I have just been on the planning website to have a look at the proposed new supermarket on the old brickworks site and it's very interesting. Tesco are objecting and urging the Planning Committee to refuse planning permission but they would wouldn't they as they would loose an awful lot of customers. Then Pizza Hut who also object don't appear to be happy either as the developer hasn't consulted them about the proposal to demolish their existing site and subsequent relocation to a new unit. Poor McDonalds is seething as the new main entrance to the whole site will be directly from the roundabout on the junction with the A55 and the public will come to 3 other food outlets before them. At the moment they are in a prominent position.
I was hoping this was going to be a quick decision at the planning meeting on Wednesday 10th as our Planning Application for building up here on Sychnant Pass will be heard straight after the Llandudno Junction Supermarket. So it looks like we are in for a long wait then.  :(

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »
Good luck for Wednesday Meleri,   $good$

Offline Meleri

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:57 pm »
Thanks Hugo  $walesflag$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2016, 09:05:47 am »
Any word of which supermarket is interested in the site? Waitrose would be nice.  $good$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:39 am »
Any word of which supermarket is interested in the site? Waitrose would be nice.  $good$

It said in the report that representation was made by (among others KFC, McD) Morrisons so I thought they might be the new supermarket.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Meleri

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2016, 01:48:09 pm »
Local rumour has it as Sainsbury's, which would make sense as the nearest one is Rhyl, with Morrisons being in Colwyn Bay it's a bit near unless they intend closing that one. I wish it was Waitrose Dave as I'm getting fed up at the traffic problems when shopping at Menai Bridge store.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2016, 01:54:52 pm »
Yes;  the Menai store involves getting there very early or very late, so you stand some chance of being able to park.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2016, 11:08:13 pm »
Crews tackle laundry blaze in Llandudno Junction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35609575

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2016, 10:17:32 am »
Crews tackle laundry blaze in Llandudno Junction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35609575
It looks as though the Laundry has been completely destroyed in the fire. Bad news for the employees.  :(

Offline Dave

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2016, 12:23:21 pm »
You may or may not be aware that right now one of the best wildlife spectacles in the world is happening right here. You need to get down to Llandudno Junction and either park in the RSPB estuary car park( the main one is shut after 5.00pm) or park in Tesco's or the cinema and walk across to the RSPB.
As many as 30,000 starlings roost in the reed beds at the reserve but before landing they fly around in an ever increasing numbers as new arrivals fly in from afar each evening.
These murmurations can be absolutely incredible.
Starling murmuration Conwy RSPB by Dave Williams, on Flickr
Weird shapes and sizes leaving much to the imagination.
Starling murmuration Conwy RSPB by Dave Williams, on Flickr
and if you get a nice sunset so much the better!
Starlings at sundown by Dave Williams, on Flickr
Best to get there soon as they will soon be heading off to their breeding grounds.
The numbers start to arrive from 5.45 onwards and they drop in to the reeds just before dark.

Offline Jack

« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
Completely agree Dave - an amazing spectacle. I've been down there a couple of times and it isn't just the sight of the birds it's the sound too as they fly overhead. I was going to post a photo but they are so inferior to yours Dave, I won't embarrass myself!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2016, 02:17:51 pm »
Impressive, Dave.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2016, 02:52:05 pm »
                 Absolutely amazing photos Dave. At first glance I can just about make out the shape of a running bird with a long tail in the first photo, (the road runner?......), and in the second there is the vague shape of a flying dragon breathing fire down on to the reserve. I have seen this spectacle at dusk above the piers in Aberystwyth and Eastbourne, and also above Manchester Town Centre, (not many reed beds there!)

Offline Dave

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2016, 02:54:14 pm »
Completely agree Dave - an amazing spectacle. I've been down there a couple of times and it isn't just the sight of the birds it's the sound too as they fly overhead. I was going to post a photo but they are so inferior to yours Dave, I won't embarrass myself!!
Thanks for the compliment Jack but a photo taken yourself is better than someone else's any day of the week. Besides, I won't embarrass myself by telling you how much money I paid for my camera which is why it's so much easier to take shots such as the ones I have posted.

Offline Dave

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2016, 02:57:58 pm »
                 Absolutely amazing photos Dave. At first glance I can just about make out the shape of a running bird with a long tail in the first photo, (the road runner?......), and in the second there is the vague shape of a flying dragon breathing fire down on to the reserve. I have seen this spectacle at dusk above the piers in Aberystwyth and Eastbourne, and also above Manchester Town Centre, (not many reed beds there!)

Thanks Gwynant, the second one reminds me of the Take That Royal variety performance a couple of years back. Men in weird outfits, or lack of. What HM thought of it I hate to think!