Author Topic: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction  (Read 95911 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42:55 am »
Yes excellent work.

A few reminders there, particularly for me the level crossing prior to 1966 and the flyover - it's amazing how you forget how some things used to be. Keep them coming.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 07:20:59 pm »
Some postcards of Marl Hall:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 07:21:47 pm »
One more:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:21 pm »
 *&( Trojan, do you have an approximate date for the images on the postcards?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »
Marle hall is an interesting building that is often overlooked locally.

The site of Marle Hall dates back to the 1500s where there was originally a monastery. A grand Jacobean mansion thought to have been built in 1661. A fire in the eighteenth century reduced all but the south-east wing to ruins. Through the untiring efforts and vision of William T. Smedley, Secretary of the Birmingham Hospital's Saturday Fund, Marle Hall was rented in 1893, restored and opened in 1894 as a Convalescent Home for Women. Subsequently purchased and equipped for 80 patients by 1903, the Hall  remained a convalescent home for many years. During World War II, the home accommodated children from city areas, and later sick soldiers. In more recent years, Warwickshire County Council converted Marle Hall into the Outdoor Education Centre that it is today.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:07:35 pm by DaveR »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »
*&( Trojan, do you have an approximate date for the images on the postcards?

The exterior ones, early 20th century. The interior scenes, possibly 1920's.

I remember in the late '70's and early 80"s my friends and I used to infiltrate the building and grounds to try and "cop off" with the girls staying there. That Black Country accent sure was a novelty.

Here's Marl Halls' website:

http://www.marlehall.co.uk/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:26:34 pm by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 08:34:14 pm »
Does anyone remember the ford nearby, that ran across......I'm sure it was Marl Lane. I think it was diverted when they built the expressway connector roads.

It was pretty deep, especially after heavy rain, and I always remember my Father driving slowly through it, then driving with one foot slightly depressed on the brake pedal afterwards to dry his brakes out.

I seem to remember signs nearby telling motorists to "Dry your brakes" or was it "Test your brakes?"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 08:44:14 pm »
I remember it well, in fact, it was a lovely country lane with the Ford running across it and then alongside the lane for a little while. As you say, crossing the Ford after heavy rain was always a bit of a challenge as the stream swelled up quite a lot and there was always a debate amongst my parents as to whether it was 'safe to cross'.

On the Llandudno side of the lane, next to the Ford, there was a gate and you could follow a path that ran alongside the stream towards what is now the entrance to Bodysgallen Hall.  It was teeming with wildlife and a really pleasant place for a stroll in the Summer - and all destroyed to make way for the A470. So much for progress.

I think the sign said 'Try Your Brakes'.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 12:35:23 am »
I remember it was quite a challenge one winter, because as the vehicles crossed the ford, the plashed water either side of the ford froze on contact with the road, so as you slowed ready to cross, the wheels locked up on the ice and you slid across out of control, causing even more water to accumulate and freeze either side of the ford. Quite a few vehicles were damaged as a result. Winter of '62 / '63. I think.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 02:58:13 pm »
I have been told about someone being hit by a train between LJ and Deganwy this morning. Is this true and does anyone know anything about it?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »
I'm currently on board the London - Llandudno virgin express, so I'll probably find out when we arrive at the Junction in about an hour.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 04:50:02 pm »
I have been told about someone being hit by a train between LJ and Deganwy this morning. Is this true and does anyone know anything about it?

I think this was a misunderstanding and that there was no incident.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 04:55:51 pm »
Takes more than a bit of adverse weather to stop Johnny "Pondo" biking to and from Llandudno. Saw him going up through Deganwy towards Llandudno earlier.

"Keep biking Johnny"  but please stay on the side of the road .... and the correct one at that!

Stan the (Bellringer) man

Offline Trojan

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »
I'm currently on board the London - Llandudno virgin express, so I'll probably find out when we arrive at the Junction in about an hour.

It's Nov 26th Ian.....everything alright? Must be working on the lines again resulting in delays.  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 05:44:21 pm »
Takes more than a bit of adverse weather to stop Johnny "Pondo" biking to and from Llandudno. Saw him going up through Deganwy towards Llandudno earlier.

"Keep biking Johnny"  but please stay on the side of the road .... and the correct one at that!

Stan the (Bellringer) man
Is he the one that shouts at motorists and does a dance when he gets to Deganwy?