Author Topic: John OWEN born 1821  (Read 36739 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: John OWEN born 1821
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:08 am »
Thanks for that, Hugo, I did wonder if it was wishful thinking about the Mostyn side of things. I remember the farm I used to go riding in the sixties, Fferm Farm above Craig y Don. That was owned by the Mostyns and Bessie, who ran the riding school, had been born and bred there. Her parents had the lease on this from the Mostyn family and had lived there for decades. The Mostyns wanted to increase the rent by a massive amount, they couldn't afford it so had to leave. It was a sad day for many people.

I think Jom needs to come and visit Llandudno and spend some time researching his ancestors! He can see all their old haunts while he is here.

Dydd gwyl Dewi Sant Hapus i chi gyd!!  :D

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 11:35:53 am »
Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi Helig     $walesflag$

I'm not a fan of the Mostyns as you may have gathered, they were and are ruthless at times and farm tenants were evicted years ago because of their Religious beliefs because the Mostyns were Anglicans and wanted everyone else to conform to their views

Offline jom

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 11:43:11 pm »
Hi Helig and Hugo,

Sorry not to have responded readily to your latest messages.  Work taken over from leisure somewhat!

It would seem that, independently we have come more or less full circle and to the same conclusion.  The way I read the coincidences, it would seem that John and Mary OWEN(S) had, amongst others 2 sons (John bn 1797 and Owen) who had illegitimate sons (John and Owen respectively) who were brought up by their Grandmother Mary and Aunt Jane.  Both these illegitimate boys, baptised 1821.  John bn 1797 seemingly went on to marry Alice WILLIAMS following his liaison with Ann EVANS, though can't be sure it's the same John, and having turned his home into a hotel / inn, became the proprietor of the Prince of Wales.

This makes my line read as follows:

John OWEN(S) bn abt 1765 married Mary

John OWEN(S) bn 1797 and illegitimately with Ann EVANS had

John OWEN(S) bn 1821 married Susannah JONES who had

John OWEN(S) bn 1849 married Margaret JONES.  Their first child was John OWEN(S) known as Jack but my line is their daughter Susannah.  So as mentioned previously, I now understand the "family name" John LOL.  I have as yet, to research Jack and his wife.  No doubt there is a son John there too.   ;D

Thank you both for your help, enthusiasm and thrill of the chase.  I would love to visit Llandudno, next time we are over for more research, but are often short of time trying to see everyone.  My family are Lincolnshire based but you never know.  It would be great to see these places.

My mother recalls visiting Dad's "Aunt Emm" on the Orme when she was 16, (back in the 40s).  I sent her a picture of the cottage I took off google and she instantly recalled it.  It was Ormonde Terrace.

Thanks once again for helping make this nightmare a little clearer and the added bits of history which help bring it all alive.  I really love this forum.
 $thanx$ $walesflag$

Offline jom

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 11:44:58 pm »
Belated Dydd gwyl Dewi Sant Hapus i chi gyd from me too $walesflag$

By the way ignore the bn abt 1765 date for John OWEN(S) in the above message.

Offline jane B

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:10 am »
Another great thread to follow, I love it when a plan comes together!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »
Jane, if my old memory serves me right didn't your Roberts research in this forum reveal a relative at 3 Ormonde Terrace on the Great Orme and you also had a relative in Llangystenin too.
It would be quite a coincidence if you were related in some way to Jom.

Ormonde Terrace photo below

Offline jane B

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07:28 pm »
Hi Hugo,
What a good memory! Ann Roberts (nee Jones from Capel Garmon) my gt,gt grandmother lived at 3 Ormonde terrace on the 1901 and 1911 census.I believe it is called Gull Cottage now. Quite a few Roberts' lived in Llangystenin.
It would be a small world if there was any link!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:32 pm »
It would be nice if there was a link somewhere, it might turn up one day.  Capel Garmon is a lovely village and worth a visit if you are driving anywhere near Betws Y Coed.

Offline jom

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 10:53:30 pm »
Hi Folk,

Yes ... what a great twist that would be.  To my knowledge the only ROBERTS line I have is John OWEN bn 1849 Maes, Llangwstennin to John and Susannah, remarried 20 Nov 1888 following the death of his wife margaret in 1887.  His second wife was Laura ROBERTS purported to be from Bangor according to census returns.

She and John lived at
1891 2, Colne Cottages, Back Madoc Street.  Both had been living in Back Mostyn Street prior to their marriage but am i right in thinking this could be the same street as back Madoc as Mostyn and Madoc run either side?

John died 13 Mar 1895 and was living at Pen y Gwaith at the time.

1901 Laura and some of the kids  were at 5, Cyll Terrace (was this still Pen y Gwaith?)
and in 1911 she was at 2, Bay View Terrace

I know nothing of her except she was one time a domestic servant / charwoman etc and was illiterate (Signed the marriage cert with a X).  She spoke Welsh and English, as did most of my clan.  Her father was Edward Roberts, an engine driver who had died by 1888.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »
Hi jom,
im just noting your thread as, i too have discovered an owen link,  connecte'd possibly to pyllau farm which i beleive is in a similar area to the ones discussed here.

my anne owens married a robert hughes,  and they had a son ishmael,  in whose last will and testement has a john owen as executor along with his wife,  i know nothing and havnt looked into any of this  but i have a photo of three ladies one whom is anne owens mentioned above her mother and another grandma  taken at pyllau farm no idea of date late 180os /begining of1900s at a guess.
so im following this thread also.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 11:55:55 pm »
hi i,m new to this and have just started this side of family tree. My great great grandmother is susanah from llangwstenin married to john owen(s). They had a daughter elizabeth born in llandudno who married into roberts family from conwy who is my great grandmother. My main reason at the moment as i have family on the cenotaph on my mothers maternal family, I do believe that 2 brothers on the cenotaph are elizabeths nephews both owen(s), 1 called enoch, I think their fathers called william. I knew I belonged to a large llandudno family some are owen(s) on the maternal side but never realised they are also on the other side as well. can anybody help thanks.

Offline Jack

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:22 am »
The Enoch Owen on the war memorial is:

Enoch Owen.
Private 23/22986.
Manchester Regiment – 23rd Battalion.
Died 27/07/16 aged 32.
Next of kin - Sarah and William Owen, 147, Mostyn Street.
Buried Abbeville Communal Cemetery.
Born and resided in Llandudno. Enlisted in Manchester.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 09:02:34 am »
thanks jack, as far as i know william who is on the war memorial is enochs brother and their father william is son of susanah and john owen. if this is correct they are my grandfathers cousins. i haven't verified this yet because i came across so many john owens i got a bit lost.

Offline Jack

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 10:12:00 am »
Private William Owen served with 8th battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers and died 30 October 1917 in modern day Iraq and is buried at Basra War Cemetery. Before enlisting he was employed by Mr Hewitt a hairdresser of Craig y Don. William died of his wounds at a casualty clearing station. He was born in Llandudno and enlisted in the RWF in Bangor. I have his address as 3, Glan-y-Mor Terrace.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:50 pm »
thanks very much really appreciate it. i have william living with his family at. 118 mostyn street in 1891 census and then at hazelmere, masonic cottage in 1901 census when he was 10, so he could living anywhere by the time of the war.i'm still trying to work out if they are brothers. i have enoch and william with mother and father the same and ages correct so not sure what to do next.