Author Topic: John OWEN born 1821  (Read 36748 times)

Offline PhilMick

Re: John OWEN born 1821
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »
Ned was at Granton House Tudno Street on the 1911 cencus. He was 13.

His father died in 1916. Ned was not demobbed until 1920. According to his Army Certificate of Identity, 6/2/1920, his address was 147 Mostyn Street and later that year when he was demobbed, July 1920, his address was given then as Grove Cottage, Grove Passage. His mother died in 1932. I don't have anything to fill in the years really until he died while living in Mowbray Road.

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2016, 05:56:43 pm »
This is a photo of the cottage that was previously called Glan Y Don.   This Copper Miner's cottage is at the head of a cul de sac called Abbey Place and the cottage was built in about 1783.

Offline jom

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2016, 01:12:32 am »
Sorry for butting in Jom but you have mentioned Min Y Don.     Now where is the Min Y Don you are talking about?    The only reason I'm asking is because someone else was looking for it and no one knew.
There were cottages in Llandudno known locally as Penmorfa Cottages but I remember my Nain saying something about Min Y Don so I looked in the Llandudno Rates book of 1906 and Min Y Don is the official name fot those Penmorfa Cottages.
The photos are of the terrace of cottages which were demolished in 1936
The enlistment papers said Min Y Don, West Shore, Llandudno, Hugo so that would seem right.  Thank you all for these great photos and extra tit bits.  All help to fill out these past lives

Offline jom

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2016, 02:47:46 am »
Oops, sorry - seems I've been censored.  It was only saying the English version of tid bits!  PC gone mad.

Philmick , When did Edward (Ned) die?  Do you know if he married at all?

Online Hugo

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2016, 10:24:30 am »
Jom,  it is the same place.     Locals called the terrace Penmorfa Cottages but officially it was called Min Y Don Cottages..   The funny thing is that I've got a postcard that was sent from my Taid to my Nain when he was overseas in WW 1 and even Taid wrote on it Penmorfa Cottages West Shore.
But I had a vague memory of my Nain just referring to Min Y Don, so I checked it out and it is the same place

Offline jom

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2016, 04:12:14 am »
Thanks Hugo.  Seems as though in Llandudno they were fond of alternative names or changing them.  With the Welsh language on top of that ... it's great to have locals' help   $good$

Online Hugo

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:43 pm »
I had a look at the 1911 and 1914 Street Index in the Archives today and there was no entry for Wm Owen in the 1911 index as living at Penmorfa Cottages  (Min Y Don cottages)
However there is an entry in the 1914 Street Index for Wm Owen and the index lists these people:-
Wm Owen  Labourer,  John Jones cab driver,  Mrs Bray,  Miss Mary Jones  laundress,  void,    Samuel Hughes  labourer.
I've checked the entries against the ones in 1911 and as I know Samuel Hughes lived at No 6   Wm Owen therefore lived at No 1.
No1  Penmorfa Cottages is the end of the terrace and nearest the road and is the one in the attached photo which was taken when the cottages were getting demolished in 1936

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2016, 11:13:59 pm »
Hugo - I thought you might like to see this:

Online Hugo

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2016, 08:29:19 am »
Thanks for posting that PhilMick,  it just shows you the reality of war.   My Taid must have completed one as well but I've not seen that just postcards that he sent from the front line.
William and my Taid would have known each other as they were living in Penmorfa Cottages at the same time, Taid at one end of the terrace and William at the other
In William's will he puts Min Y Don Conway Shore but it is the same place.    When I've found the entries in the Street Index the cottages are listed in the Abbey Road section but I knew where to look when I went to the Archives.

Online Hugo

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
Sorry that you had a wet day in Wales yesterday PhilMick  but it's not always as bad as that.     I've enclosed a couple more old photos for you to see and the first is of the old cottages.   I'm not sure about the small detached property but in a street index it is called Min Y Don,  the terrace of cottages are officially called Min Y Don Cottages and your relative's cottage is the one with the gable end visible.  I'm told that my cousin Ivy is the little girl in the photo.
The second photo is of a flood in the west shore by the tram terminus, Min Y Don cottages in the background were not affected by the flood as they were on higher ground.
That area flooded sometimes because the sea defence was not built until the early 1950's but after then there was no flooding to the best of my knowledge.
Since the 1990's when the new sea defence was built that floodwater has been replaced by sand.         :'(

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »
Hugo - thank you for the photos. They've filled in some gaps in my wife's tree.

Offline John52

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2017, 07:15:06 pm »
This a transcript of the William owen on the cenotapaph

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2017, 07:24:31 pm »
Hi John52 - I can't see a link.

Would you look again?

PM

Offline John52

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:11 pm »
Sorry pictures off IPad will not load. Noticed the names below in this discussion perhaps the following information may be of help. Ffrith Gerrig farm was on the Golf course close to Deganwy. In 1841 farmed by David Owens and Elizabeth with five children. Owen Owens and John Owens were two of the children. 1851 John illigitable grandson was added to census.William Owen in The Great War projected, son of John and Ann Owen lived at Ffrith Gerrig. Owen Owens may have been my Great, Great grandfather. My Great grandfather Robert Owen and  Great Grandmother Catherine (Hughes) lived at 44 Alexander Road. His father was a Owen Owens.c

Online Hugo

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2020, 11:08:25 am »
I'm not sure where to post this but a friend sent me an interesting e-mail about Margaret Owen  ( nee Ellis ) who died in 1903 and was known as Nain Pyllau.
If anyone wants to know more about this very interesting article and the family please contact   peter.lyn.jones@gmail.com