Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 81262 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Elias Family
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2016, 02:40:34 pm »
Cambrian,  when I was trying to find out something about Ty'n Rhos I came across this article.  Are you this person by any chance?

"Digital photograph of Cwm Eigiau Cottage taken on 14/08/2003 by Cambrian ... Digital photograph of Ty'n Rhos Farmhouse taken on 09/09/2003 by Cambrian"

Offline sgbright

« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:39 pm »
Thanks Hugo.  one more very good step.  I am guessing life would have been pretty tough up there in winter,  He must have only farmed there for a short time and interesting that he sold up a good six months before his marriage although I am guessing that was probably the time of the year for sales perhaps especially if it was timed with the fair.  This gives me some more clues to track a little further…and a new area to walk next time I am venture up to North Wales…

Online Hugo

« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2016, 09:47:22 am »
Stuart,   have a look at the attached link.   I haven't posted the photo of Ty'n Rhos because of copyright but it's in the area of my previous photos.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj0uqaIz9TOAhUpLsAKHerZCSsQFghtMAk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geograph.org.uk%2Fphoto%2F4979796&usg=AFQjCNEEaqlAPc7ZDwyBn_kItmE8YVKh0A

Offline sgbright

« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2016, 10:40:54 am »
amazing hugo.  ill be there for sure on my next trip.  I am guessing he probably never lived there, staying in the relative comfort of Trefiw instead but still very interesting.  It must have been the harsh winters that drove him to try nz instead!.  thank you

Online Hugo

« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2016, 11:44:36 am »
I'm sure that he would have lived in Trefriw Stuart as the Winters and even Summers are harsh up there in Cwm Eigiau.   There is no protection whatsoever against the cold winds that whistle down that valley.  Very few trees grow up there and one cottage has had trees planted around it for protection but it was still cold and wet in the valley when we passed by.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2016, 11:47:20 am »
thanks  ..  ill keep you posted on where this heads

Online Hugo

« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2016, 04:05:25 pm »
Stuart, my friend and I had planned a walk from Cwm Eigiau  up to a couple of lakes called Melynllyn and Dulyn  and because you have found Ty'n Rhos we added that on to the walk and I've enclosed some photos for you.
Before we went I found the location by using the O/S map and Google earth.   If you want to see it on Google for yourself put Dolgarrog into Google then go to the map and click on there.   When the map appears scroll to the left (westwards) until you come to Llyn Eigiau and at the end of the lake on the right is a stream coming in to it.    There is a man made leet which goes straight and into the mountain  and level with the start of the leet  are the ruins of Ty'n Rhos.
It was built on the valley floor and the area is just wet moorland but is still being farmed with a few sheep grazing in the fields.   What I found interesting when I looked at the O/S map is a property north and east of Ty'n Rhos.  It's name is Hafod Y Gorswen and I think I've mentioned the Hafodty before and they were summer houses where the farmers grazed their animals during the Summer months and then brought them down to the farm lower down.
I was just wondering because of the name if this building is associated with your relatives farm Gorswen in Rowen.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2016, 12:32:13 pm »
Wow mthanks Hugo great to see.   Within every answer lies another question. Surely the gorswen link can't be a coincidence. It does not seem to be a common property name.  Perhaps another clue to how they met although I a, guessing these areas were not far apart so with the social structures of the day these families would have had quite a few mingling opportunities. I will do some more digging. Interesting .. Thanks

Online Hugo

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2016, 08:42:19 am »
It was a nice walk but if you ever do it, take your car up to the Cwm Eigiau car park as the walk would be too strenuous from Tal Y Bont.
I wonder how William made his way to the farm?

Offline sgbright

« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2016, 02:16:03 am »
yes would be interesting.  bit like elias jones of Gorswen who also had the property in Penmaenmawr.  I am guessing a horse up and over the hill would have been a lot quicker than the Conwy Rd which I understand used to wind around the river.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2018, 02:01:17 pm »
I would be very interested in locating any old photos of Maenan Abbey.  I asked management of the hotel and checked local libraries when I visited a few years but are sure that there must be some somewhere.  any thoughts would be much appreciated

Offline sgbright

« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2018, 11:10:15 am »
Hi Hugo.  Long time since posting.  Based on your local knowledge do you think this might be the property discussed on pages 13 and 14 of this thread? 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Llwydfan_off_Old_Mill_Rd_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1478878.jpg

Online Hugo

« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2018, 05:08:14 pm »
Hi Stuart, good to hear from you and hope that all is well in Oz.

I would say that it's definitely not the house you are looking for.  First of all the name is different that's Llwydfan whereas the house you are looking for is Llwydfaen.    The names may look the same but have different meanings in English.
Secondly and this is from memory only your ancestor from Gorswen Rowen used to have daily walks from Rowen to Llwydfaen but Llwydfaen in Old Mill Road is many miles away.
On the o/s map Llwydfaen is near the Tal Y Cafn Bridge and I'm sure that I sent you some photos of it years ago.
Again from memory I mentioned Llwydfaen Uchaf and Llwydfaen Isaf  and I believe that the one by the Tal Y Cafn Bridge must be Llwydfaen Isaf because of it's low position in the valley

If you have any info that you want help with just let me know on here

Online Hugo

« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2018, 05:51:30 pm »
Have a look at this link Stuart, it refers to Llwydfan but shows Llwydfaen and Llwydfaen Isaf does it make any sense with your research

https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames?ps=10&s=1&q=llwyd&pn=100

Offline sgbright

« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2020, 10:22:58 am »
I return after couple of years revoking at some things that are unanswered in my research.  Elias Jones of Gorswen d 1844 is buried at St Marys Caerhun.  His grave suggests he is buried with his first wife and some children.  However he was married a second time to Mary Jones. I have seen a few things that suggest the relationship my have been heading downhill and in fact some litigation followed his death by his second wife family.  Also his will had a number of codicils each of which eroded her position.  She died 1843.  I would like to see if indeed she was buried separately - if anyone has access to any cemetery headstone data or records would be much appreciated,