Author Topic: A Night At The Opera  (Read 3956 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
A Night At The Opera
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:10 am »
Last night, I went to see 'Madam Butterfly' at Venue Cymru. It was a Welsh National Opera production and I have to say that, despite not being the biggest opera fan, it was superb. Good to see it appeared to be completely sold out, too.

https://www.venuecymru.co.uk/welsh-national-opera-201213-madam-butterfly.html

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: A Night At The Opera
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:47:30 pm »
We saw La Traviata tonight at Venue Cymru which was also well performed by the Welsh National Opera. This time there were many empty seats.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:57:01 am »
We saw La Traviata tonight at Venue Cymru which was also well performed by the Welsh National Opera. This time there were many empty seats.

I suspect the Puccini is better known and liked.  Verdi's often seen as a bit heavyweight, although he wasn't.  Wonder if the North Wales Philharmonic Orchestra is ever going to give a performance?  Their website is not encouraging:

"The North Wales Philharmonic Orchestra will give 3 or 4 concerts a year.

The programme for the first concert will be:

Mozart: Overture - The Marriage of Figaro
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5

The provisional date for the first concert is Saturday, 3 November 2012 at a venue to be confirmed.

Please keep checking on this page for more information."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »
Not quite Opera, but we went to see Cats tonight at Venue Cymru and what a  show it was - superb! I highly recommend it, it's still on for a few more days if anyone would like to go:
https://www.venuecymru.co.uk/whats-on/CATS-2014.html