Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 124027 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2014, 01:39:33 pm »
Thanks Dwsi that may be very helpful to everyone    $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »
I drove down Narrow Lane in Llandudno Junction today and stopped to take a photo of Bryn Derw, the old Farm that Anneelaine mentioned.
Although I've seen the building many times as I've driven past I never knew what it was.
It's right on the spot where the road narrows and is now actually in the car park of the Welsh Assembly building.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:15 am »
Anneelaine,   I'm posting this just in case you come back to the forum.   I had a very interesting chat on Friday with someone familiar with the area and the Davies family.
It is a big family and they had a few farms in the area above Pensarn Farm.    Pensarn Farm I believe was also owned by the Davies family and from there, there is a public footpath going uphill but I think that you would have gone up Narrow Lane on the way to your relations house.
You would have passed Bryn Gwyn Farm on your way up and the four properties owned by the Davies are all within about 200 yards of each other and are Marl Farm, Marl Bach, Maes Glas and Segyryn Farm and on the headland you saw.
I don't think it was Marl Farm (too big) or Marl Bach which is just an old ruin and I don't think that it is Maes Glas either.     It could be Segyryn Farm from the description you gave but it would be virtually unrecognisable to you now.  It has been greatly extended and sympathetically modernised and is a lovely building now.
Can you remember if it had dormer windows when you went to that building you described?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2015, 10:44:34 pm »
I've just had a look at the O/S maps for 1888- 1895 on the web site British History online and put Llandudno Junction in on the search.
What I found surprised me and I am no longer sure which farm Anneelaine's relatives lived in.
The Pensarn Farm I found was in the parish of Llangystennin, Caernarfonshire and was near where Richard Williams builders merchants is nowadays.
Pen Sarn in English means head or top of the causeway and there is an ancient way called Sarn Y Mynach or Monks Causeway in English and this goes from Richard Williams place to the Black Cat roundabout.
However in the old O/S map there is another property at the other end of the causeway and it was also caused Pensarn.   Both names are correct because of their location but the one that was by the Black Cat Garage was in the parish of Llansanffraid and was in Denbighshire.
Because of what Anneelaine originally said I think that we have the right farm but from what someone has told me the Davies family may also have owned the other one in Denbighshire.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Anneelaine,    I took the photo of Sgyryn Farm yesterday (you can see the gable end on the right) and think that it may be the one you went to as a child.    Members of the Davies family previously lived there and I was told that it was regarded as a place where the family met up.
If it's the one that you went to it would have looked different to this recent photo.   The rendering on the house would have been different but on the entrance to the lane going uphill there was a large grass triangle in the middle with the lanes going either side of it.    I don't know when that changed to a single lane but I can remember seeing the large glass triangle.

Offline DVT

« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2015, 09:23:24 pm »
My wife's mother's family (mother-in-law was a Jones) had links to some of the places mentioned on this thread - Marl Farm, Snottyn Farm (possibly later changed to Ffarm Tyddyn), Seguryn and Maes Glas, also Penbont and Pencreuddyn, plus others in the Llangwstenin area.  The Jones family had a lot of children around the period 1880 to 1960, two brothers emigrated to Kansas in 1910 taking most of their kids with them, my wife's grandfather was one the eldest children and stayed here.  There is a link to the Davies family at Marl Farm, as one of the Jones girls married a Davies - Tommy (Tomi Marl) Davies, mentioned earlier, being one of the offspring.

Quite a few of the family are buried in Llangwstenin churchyard.

Hopefully anneelaine is looking in and can come up with some names from that period and see if they match up.  I have drawn up quite a bit of the family tree, based on information from my mother-in-law.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2015, 11:10:03 am »
Office for sale        £139,500  (£116.64/sq. ft)   
.Bryn Derw, 2 Narrow Lane, Llandudno Junction         1,196 sq. ft*

According to Zoopla  the old farm of Bryn Derw has now come on the market and is advertised as an office.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:05 pm »
Anneelaine,   Someone very kindly let me have a copy of this very old photo of Esgyryn Farm.   I don't know the date of the photo but it is old and the Davies family are gathered outside the building.  The house   did not have dormers then,they must have been added later! the white part to the left was a lean-to shed where they kept their cart!
I don't know if this is the building that you went to in the 1960's but it was a place where the various Davies family met at and it did have rendering over the stonework before the present owners moved in

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2017, 12:52:24 am »
Hi back on again looking
Just found this
 in the 1911 Wales Census

View

Add Alternative Information
Report issue
Name:
Wm Bell Rogerson
Age in 1911:
Estimated birth year:
abt 1910
Relation to Head:
Son
Birth Place:
Llangystenin, Carnarvon, Wales
Civil Parish:
Llangwstenin
Search Photos:
Search for 'Llangwstenin' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island:
Caernarvonshire
Wales
Street address:
Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conway
Registration district:
Conway
Registration District Number:
Sub-registration district:
Llandudno
ED, institution, or vessel:
Household schedule number:
Piece:
Household Members:
Name
Mary Rogerson
Edith May Rogerson
Hannah Mary Rogerson
Wm Bell Rogerson

Thinking back
It  looked like a old farm house with four old looking windows with a lot of green In front off it I can see some sheep in the garden one with a broken back
I can see a guy about 55 That was a bit odd I was only young  we had tea and then took back to the station to go home Was told it was my Dad cousin
 But the guy I do not know never told who it was
 This guy I think was William Bell Rogerson born 1910
 No one never spoke about him did not know off him
 Found out he passed away in 1985 in Llandudno
The other guy on this is my grandfather age32 its not hill but bell  Mary Rogerson Passed away in 1917 Then he married my Grandma also in 1917 Anne Jane Davies She had farms in her family in around the same place
 But when she married William she got cut out  off the  will and family
Thats it  THANKS Hugo for your help
Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:56 am »
Well Hugo I think its time to Give up I think Just going over and over Thank you so much for you Help my family the Rogerson would not say a word Ask my dad and he would just say No No keep away

Offline Hugo

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:34 am »
Thanks Anneelaine,   there are some mysteries that we can't resolve and perhaps this is one of them and will have to be put to bed.

It's a shame really because there are a lot of Davies' in the Llandudno Junction area with links to a farming background.    I can think of 5 farms within a radius of less than 2 miles from Pensarn Farm that have connections with the Davies family.     I am also reliably informed that the Davies family members would meet at Esgyryn Farm  (pictured)  and I've a feeling that some forum members may be related to you but the link hasn't been established.

It would seem that there is a black secret hiding here and lots of families have them and sometimes it has been done to protect the feelings of others

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:32 pm »
1969 - Farms/Farmers with the name Davies:

Farms and Riding Stables:
 Robert Davies  Penlan Farm Glanwydden,
T Davies Fron Farm, Bryn Pydew,
T Davies Marl Farm, Llan Jct.
Farmers
D. Davies Maes Cadwgan Farm  Conwy
 D Davies Penlan Farm Glanwydden
T Davies, Bryn Euryn Farm Rhos-on-Sea
Pensarn Farm doesn't appear to be listed, but I've not yet looked in the Street listings

Doesn’t help with the quest but just for info, it was the Rawlingson family at Fron Farm in 1969. Glyn ran the farm but I think it belonged to “Tom Marl”

Offline Hugo

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2017, 01:48:41 pm »
Thanks for that info squiggles but unless anything else crops up then I think that there is nothing else we can do, the only breakthrough would appear to be local knowledge.

Speaking of which, I have just had a quick and interesting phone call from someone who has promised to phone me back some time.    He has been reading your posts and may be able to fill in any missing pieces of the jigsaw.     Just watch this space       $good$

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:09 pm »
 :D O thank you so Much made my day
Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2017, 02:27:08 am »
Hi
Just thinking Maybe it was William Bell First wife family farm, Mary Rogerson  got a feeling her maiden name was Davies will try to find out.
          Then after her death
  William married again the farm was taken from him and  he
  became  just a worker on this farm and he worked  here till around after 1926
when he left his wife
        and the family was put into a home