Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319301 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #630 on: March 11, 2018, 06:18:04 pm »
Hope they don't come, expecting to see Odstone's.....  :(

Legend of Welsh Prince Madoc's discovery of America could boost tourism
According to Welsh mythology the prince sailed from Rhos-on-Sea in 1170 and ended up in Alabama

Now Colwyn BID, the business enterprise tasked with bringing more visitors to the area, has thrown its support behind promoting the story of the voyages of Prince Madoc and his brother Rhiryd - sailing the Atlantic at least four times.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/legend-welsh-prince-madocs-discovery-14385426

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2018, 11:55:05 am »
The sea was a bit rough at high tide on Rhos Promenade today.    The waves and debris were coming over on to the promenade and one of the strangest things there, apart from myself taking photos was an elderly lady having a coffee by the kiosk where the pink car used to be.
I hope she enjoyed the coffee because she certainly deserved it for braving the elements there today

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #632 on: March 18, 2018, 07:56:52 am »
Seem to remember an old sailors cry of “ship ahoo “. This photograph. Maybe skip ahoo

Offline SteveH

« Reply #633 on: April 25, 2018, 03:40:42 pm »
A deal for ice cream maker Parisella's to take over the famous Nino's pizza restaurant in Rhos-on-Sea has collapsed.

It was announced last year that the popular Parisella’s brand would take on the seafront site in the village and create a 120-seat café bar, patisserie and ice cream parlour.
This would have meant the end of an era for Nino Cerefice whose grandfather opened the cafe in 1938.

Nino told the Daily Post he was staying at the cafe.
Carrie Parisella said while this had deal fallen though she was determined to bring her parlour brand to Rhos-on-Sea.
She said: "It is regrettable that this deal has fallen through due to unforeseen circumstances.
"But our sights are firmly set on opening a new upmarket gelato in Rhos-on-Sea. We are now looking at other sites in the village."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/ice-cream-parlour-deal-famous-14574937

Offline SteveH

« Reply #634 on: May 10, 2018, 02:57:24 pm »
The Co-op’s plans to demolish the former United Reformed Church Hall on Colwyn Avenue in Rhos-on-Sea and replace it with a shop have been passed.
Co-op bosses aim to shut down their current store at a former cinema on Penrhyn Avenue and move staff to the new site.

Planning inspector Declan Beggan approved the proposals despite Conwy Council’s planning committee previously turning them down

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/supermarket-giant-gets-go-ahead-14638491

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #635 on: May 11, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »
I read the article in the Daily Post re planning permission for the new Coop Shop , what I don't understand is the objections put forward by CCBC out of character for the area etc , Yet they have no objection to the appearance of the monstrosity they intend erecting on the Pier Pavilion site ,  is it me or have I missed something , there appears to be no logic to there decisions .

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #636 on: May 11, 2018, 09:52:29 pm »
  Back to the post about the Cerefice family ice cream parlour in Rhos.  I grew up within a very short distance of it. I don't remember it during the 39/45 war and of course it has to be remembered that Italy was definitely an enemy in that war. Anyway after the war it was open and i was a regular customer with my pocket money. I remember the man serving the ices had a strong accent. Very unusual to me being brought up hearing nothing but Manchester accents everywhere. So I knew Mr Cerefice was Italian.
   For many years afterwards when I heard that accent I thought Oh Italians. I was only when I was an adult that I found out that Mr Cerefice came from Scotland. Ha

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #637 on: May 11, 2018, 10:01:00 pm »
   This isn't really a Rhos matter. But Old Colwyn is only just along the prom.
    I've known it all my life. Travelled through it thousands of times. So the following is a surprise to me.
   The Arriva 12 route to Rhyl has an automatic stop announcing system. So I was surprised when I heard the main stop in Old Colwyn right in the middle middle of the village is announced as Bethesda. Both on the speaker and the visual board. Any one know how or why Arriva think its called that. I've never ever heard anyone calling it that. The Ship inn would be the most likely name although I know that is now closed

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #638 on: May 15, 2018, 10:58:01 am »
   This isn't really a Rhos matter. But Old Colwyn is only just along the prom.
    I've known it all my life. Travelled through it thousands of times. So the following is a surprise to me.
   The Arriva 12 route to Rhyl has an automatic stop announcing system. So I was surprised when I heard the main stop in Old Colwyn right in the middle middle of the village is announced as Bethesda. Both on the speaker and the visual board. Any one know how or why Arriva think its called that. I've never ever heard anyone calling it that. The Ship inn would be the most likely name although I know that is now closed
It's named after the Bethesda Chapel. Ship Inn is used for the bus stop on the other side of the road.

http://colwynbayheritage.org.uk/bethesda-welsh-methodist-church-abergele-road/

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #639 on: May 15, 2018, 01:27:18 pm »
Curiously isn't there a "Top Shop" bus stop nearby or at least on that route too?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: May 18, 2018, 08:45:06 am »
A lot of the bus stop names are out of date. There's the 'Ship Inn' in Rhos, for example, which has been closed for quite a few years now.

On the 12 Route, I noticed that there's a 'ghost stop' when travelling through Penrhyn Bay towards Llandudno. The automated system announces 'Penrhyn Bay Post Office' but there's never been a bus stop on that side of the road there, and the bus driver just ignores it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #641 on: May 18, 2018, 08:59:22 am »
The North Wales Medical Centre is another obsolete bus stop.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #642 on: May 18, 2018, 02:06:42 pm »
Some still call it "Lady Forester's", Bri.

Seriously, the one that always amuses me is the first stop after Conwy towards Bangor.  This is actually Cadnant Park, but the inbus information shows "Town Ditch" and simultaneously the voice over says "Bodlondeb".

Offline Hugo

« Reply #643 on: May 18, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
I was at Rhos earlier today and the harbour was looking good in the Spring sunshine.    There were loads of people about which is always a good thing 

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #644 on: May 18, 2018, 07:46:56 pm »
Some still call it "Lady Forester's", Bri.

Old habits die hard, Cambrian, but it is only the number 5 service that still refers to it as the North Wales Medical Centre.

I would like to think that someone at Arriva Buses (presumably in Bangor?) are able to amend their system  ;)