Author Topic: British Rail or whatever it is called now!  (Read 6362 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
British Rail or whatever it is called now!
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:22:13 pm »
We fancy a ride on the Conwy Valley line from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog, last time I went on a train (other than preserved lines) it was British Railways! Do I get a ticket at the station, on the train, or online? What's the best way? Any special offers? I realise that for two of us it will cost more than going in the Jag, but we fancy a ride on it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: British Rail or whatever it is called now!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:05:04 pm »
It's a good trip, very scenic. If you have a Free Bus Pass, then the trip is free, otherwise just buy a ticket at the station, about a fiver return, I think?

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/ConwyValley/

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:14:13 pm »
That seems very cheap! I've been on it but a long time ago, very scenic! Sadly I'm nowhere near old enough for a free bus pass! I wonder how much First Class tickets are?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »
Seems to be £8.10 each return, seems much cheaper than the buses!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »
According to National Rail, it seems to be £8.10 single and £8.30 return?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »
I wonder how much First Class tickets are?
Only Intercity services like Virgin have first class, all others are all Pleb Class.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Rover tickets can be much better value if you are having a day out.  The £9.50 "Taith" day rover covers all buses and trains in Conwy and Gwynedd (you can add other Councils if you wish at extra cost).

Virgin 1st Class is not much cop just dearer and as Dave says excludes the "plebs". Anyone tried the Arriva 1st on the Assembly Special ?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:57:12 pm »
I'm seeing, Anytime Day Return for two £16.20 seems great value!

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 03:56:52 pm »
Another great way to have a cheap day out is to apply for a Y Cerdyn / the Card from the Ffestiniog and West Highland Railways It’s available to all homeowners and permanent residents in Conwy County Borough, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Anglesey & Wrexham and is valid for 5 years.

'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card' entitles the holder to a 66% discount on fares on both the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. Cards must be produced when buying your tickets.

You can now download 'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card' application form using the link below. The application form is in Adobe Acrobat format. Just download, print it out, and send your completed application form, a passport sized photograph and £15.00 to:

'Y Cerdyn' / 'The Card'
Ffestiniog Railway
Harbour Station
Porthmadog
Gwynedd. LL49 9NF

You can also take your completed application form to the Booking Offices at Porthmadog, Blaenau Ffestiniog or Caernarfon for processing.

Download
http://www.festrail.co.uk/ebrochures/pdf/ycerdyn_leaflet_2010.pdf
View Online
http://issuu.com/fwhrmarketing/docs/y_cerdyn_2010?e=1269878/2608024

You can also upgrade to a 1st class ticket which gets you a lovely comfy armchair in the observation carriage. (Porthmadog to Blaenau £6 per person).   $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:07:21 pm »
By coincidence, we shall be purchasing ours tomorrow morning in Blaenau Ffestiniog after using our Concessionary Travel Pass on the Conwy Valley Line.

I actually phoned up earlier to check the WHR is definitely not running tomorrow, and it is not, so it will have to be a round trip on the Ffestiniog Railway instead for us tomorrow.

I was also informed the 66% discount does not apply to upgrades to first class and the observation car.

Never mind there are concessionary fares on the price of a round-trip journey.

One of the joys of growing old.  D)

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:16 pm »

I was also informed the 66% discount does not apply to upgrades to first class and the observation car.

Quite right Bri. The £6 I mentioned was the full upgrade price. So for a one way trip First Class Porthmadog, Blaenau £10.10p
If you have already bought your tickets, you can pay the upgrade £6 on the Train, provided there is enough space, which at this time of the year shouldn't be a problem.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »
Or like us, you can be members of the Festiniog Railway Society and receive free third class travel on the Festiniog and Talyllyn Railways and 66 per cent discount on the Welsh Highland Railway, this for the two uf us is about £46 a year.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 04:39:49 pm »
The whole system now it ruddy stupid - you need to take a day off work nowadays to get a decent priced ticket to go through all the different permations - If I want to go to Shepperton a single there will cost me £125
however if I want to go to London (Where you HAVE to go first to get to Shepperton) it costs me £37
a ticket from London to Shepperton is £8 - or less than a fiver on my oyster card!

also found out by accident as I'm stopping off in Cardiff next month it's cheaper for me to get a train from London to Cardiff and then Cardiff to Llandudno than it is to just get a train from London to Llandudno

Beggers belief  $angry$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:47 pm »
It is a very strange complicated system, which is why I started this thread.  ££$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 04:52:05 pm »
Or like us, you can be members of the Festiniog Railway Society and receive free third class travel on the Festiniog and Talyllyn Railways and 66 per cent discount on the Welsh Highland Railway, this for the two uf us is about £46 a year.

You are clearly younger than I thought as it is only £40 for a senior citizen and partner.  ;)