Author Topic: A Personal Dilemma  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Yorkie

A Personal Dilemma
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:14:40 am »
As some may have gathered from my recent post, we are downsizing.  I have started to have a good clear out of all old paperwork, of which I have enough to produce a full run of the Weekly News!

Amongst this I have ALL my old School Reports, some of which date back over 60 years.  The dilemma is to shred or not to shred.  I haven't looked at them for years and I am sure the kids would not be too pleased to inherit them.   What to do?

I also have some old Lease agreements. Mortgage and Assignment Documents relating to a Mostyn Property of which we bought the Freehold.  Is there anyone who collects or is interested in them?

ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: A Personal Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:28:22 am »
when I've been  studying Genealogy such documents would be of tremendous value, think ahead a few generations and someone in the family will be researching the family tree - why not take a couple of the school reports, any other interesting paperwork relating to property, employment, old diaries etc. Include some old photographs with a letter explaining who the people are and how related, even a written potted history of what you remember about past generations. Seal the lot in a biscuit tin and hand it down in the family to be forwarded to each generation!

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:11 am »
Has your old school got a website?

If so, contact the head teacher to find out if he/she has any use for those old school reports or know of someone else who may do.

Their local archives may even be interested.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:03 am »
We do seem to accumulate a lot of paper these days.  Like Yorkie I have various school reports - though I'm not sure people would want to see mine!  With old legal documents, perhaps these would be of interest to the County Archives ?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:14:47 pm »
In no particular order.

My old School is no longer in existance having been demolished for something new  some years ago.

I have our family tree and am just in the process of updating it with the latest arrival and marriages etc.   i could add the stuff to the Archive in digital form but suppose it is not as good as the real stuff.  I think my dilemma is partly answered.   $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero