Author Topic: National Health Service  (Read 98224 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: National Health Service
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2018, 02:37:21 pm »
Immigration has been discussed a lot in recent years and Politicians keep saying how they are going to control EU immigration in the future but they seem to ignore the fact that we have more immigrants from outside the EU than from the EU itself.

Yesterday I read an article in the Daily Mirror about Health Tourists and that should surely be controlled.    The article said that a non EU  patient left a hospital with an unpaid debt of £532,498.00  last year, the highest health tourism bill ever recorded.
It was revealed under the Freedom of Information laws but the trust would not reveal where the patient came from or what treatment they had.
The previous highest debt came after a Nigerian called Priscilla, 43, flew in pregnant with quadruplets.   She admitted that she had no way of paying a £331,000.00 bill after giving birth at St Mary's in West London.  It is thought that her bill finally reached £500,000.00   
They say that Health Tourism is costing the UK £ 2 billion a year.
With the NHS struggling to deal with it's own citizens it's a practise that has to be looked at and stopped.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:17 pm »
The question is how? The Nigerian woman apparently turned up, about to give birth. What could the hospital have done?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2018, 05:05:51 pm »
That's an interesting question Ian, but an easy one to answer.   The answer is simply, she shouldn't have been allowed into the UK in the first place.
I'm not suggesting that we use the practice that they use in other countries and that is " let us see if you have the ability to pay" before even looking at the patient, let alone treating them.    The UK treats first and asks for payment later, now that that is the more civilised way to do it, providing of course if you have the money to support such a system which obviously we haven't got

On one of the Border Security type programmes that I have seen, a heavily pregnant Nigerian woman wanted to go to the USA from Nigeria.    The USA refused entry for the person to go there so she applied for a visa to go to the UK  and then from the UK she would make her way to the USA.
The woman was interviewed in Nigeria and said that she was just so many weeks pregnant but didn't have any medical evidence to prove it and looking at her she was either a liar or just very ignorant.    Anyway the visa was refused and she was denied entry into the UK so there was no subsequent problem in the UK or USA.

When anyone from this country has a holiday outside of the EU then common sense would say that you take out an insurance policy to cover any medical emergencies that you may have in the country that you are visiting.    So isn't it fair that any visitor to this country does the same?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2018, 04:35:44 pm »
The Lady should have been put in a Taxi and sent straight round to the Nigerian Embassy. Your problem not ours.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »
Top doctor reveals the 'pathetic' reason why GPs aren't coming to North Wales
Dr Eamonn Jessup gave up the contract to his Prestatyn practice when he and his partners found it impossible to find new recruits.

Article plus 20 comments

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/why-would-gps-come-here-14230486

Offline SteveH

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:28 pm »
Patients sleeping in corridors and equipment rooms at North Wales hospital....Llandudno general
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board blamed "extraordinary ongoing pressures" for the situation.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/patients-sleeping-corridors-equipment-rooms-14255055

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2018, 02:00:34 pm »
That's an interesting article Steve. One way of solving it is to take most of the Qualified nursing staff out of the outpatients clinics at Llandudno, Glan Clwyd & especially Ysbyty Gwynedd and transfer them to Beuno Ward in Llandudno Hospital and take on nursing assistants to help with basic nursing care. It doesn't warrant a qualified Nurse to call a patient in to see a consultant, stand there observing/assisting the consultant and then show the patient out, so I don't know why they have so many Qualified nurses doing this. It's a waste of three years nurses training and costing the NHS a fortune.
Looking to the future NHS Wales should open a Nurses Training School as they used to have at Bangor. I had many friends who trained there and at Llandudno Hospital and went on to become wonderful nurses. Not one of them had a degree and I can't see why this is necessary, sadly this is the sign of the times. Bring back SEN & SRN training and we wouldn't have the problem we have today, where a lot of nurses thinks as they have a degree they are not there to give basic nursing care. I worked for the NHS during it's decline and also experienced many times during Mr M's and my stays in hospital the apathy in all three hospitals. I have actually got out of bed while in hospital myself to give a fellow patient a drink, while nursing staff are sitting at their computers and chatting around the nurses station &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »
I agree with what you say, it seems to be a constant case of robbing Peter etc. And the medical school is a great idea, both for doctors and nurses, I think between the NHS, education and the police we are heading for a serious crisis.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »
I know that certain forum members will already have read the article bur yesterday's DFM  had the front page headline
  "CAR SCHEME FOR THE DISABLED PAYS BOSS £1.7 MILLION"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5355225/Boss-car-scheme-disabled-1-7million.html

Offline SteveH

« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:17 pm »
Words fail me, and I do not want to be chucked off the forum .  $angry$     $angry$         $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2018, 04:27:29 pm »
Meleri,  I couldn't agree with you more in your assessment of the situation.    It can be rectified but no one seems to have the bottle to change it.
Degrees are one thing but it doesn't make a good nurse that comes with proper training and good management.
I had a spell in Glan Clwyd hospital two years ago and kept a pair of socks on when I was in and out of bed and I didn't even shave for the 10 days I was there.   I may have looked like Father Christmas when I came out, but there was no way on earth was I going to take a chance getting any infection while I was in the hospital

Offline SteveH

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:05 am »
About time

NHS pay: Increase for 1.3 million staff expected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43481341

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2018, 10:50:49 am »
Steve  let's wait and see what catches they have up their sleeves .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2018, 08:25:16 am »
the standard of care in the Welsh NHS is fabulous.
I wish I could agree with you.  :'(

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2018, 09:49:36 am »
the standard of care in the Welsh NHS is fabulous.
I wish I could agree with you.  :'(

Sadly, me neither.

Although there are some terrific staff and excellent work done in the NHS, my personal (and I stress, personal) experience of NHS Wales is not so good.

A few years I had an accident that left me unable to move my right arm. I was sent home by and A & E Consultant at Ysbyty Gwynedd NHS Wales telling me there was nothing wrong despite my protests. I went through my private medical scheme and I was found to have badly torn the rotator cuff and fractured a bone in my shoulder. It took an operation and several months to resolve.

Last year, because of the waiting list lengths of several months to be seen by a Consultant in NHS Wales, I again went through my private medical scheme. Seen within days, I was found to have an aggressive cancerous tumour that was quickly removed. I'm still undergoing cancer treatment to ensure that the cancer doesn't return. It's extremely doubtful if I'd be here now if I'd waited for NHS Wales.

I'm extremely fortunate to have private medical insurance, but shudder to think how many people without have suffered or been lost.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.