Author Topic: National Health Service  (Read 16303 times)

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
Re: National Health Service
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2018, 02:37:21 PM »
Immigration has been discussed a lot in recent years and Politicians keep saying how they are going to control EU immigration in the future but they seem to ignore the fact that we have more immigrants from outside the EU than from the EU itself.

Yesterday I read an article in the Daily Mirror about Health Tourists and that should surely be controlled.    The article said that a non EU  patient left a hospital with an unpaid debt of £532,498.00  last year, the highest health tourism bill ever recorded.
It was revealed under the Freedom of Information laws but the trust would not reveal where the patient came from or what treatment they had.
The previous highest debt came after a Nigerian called Priscilla, 43, flew in pregnant with quadruplets.   She admitted that she had no way of paying a £331,000.00 bill after giving birth at St Mary's in West London.  It is thought that her bill finally reached £500,000.00   
They say that Health Tourism is costing the UK £ 2 billion a year.
With the NHS struggling to deal with it's own citizens it's a practise that has to be looked at and stopped.

Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
The question is how? The Nigerian woman apparently turned up, about to give birth. What could the hospital have done?
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
That's an interesting question Ian, but an easy one to answer.   The answer is simply, she shouldn't have been allowed into the UK in the first place.
I'm not suggesting that we use the practice that they use in other countries and that is " let us see if you have the ability to pay" before even looking at the patient, let alone treating them.    The UK treats first and asks for payment later, now that that is the more civilised way to do it, providing of course if you have the money to support such a system which obviously we haven't got

On one of the Border Security type programmes that I have seen, a heavily pregnant Nigerian woman wanted to go to the USA from Nigeria.    The USA refused entry for the person to go there so she applied for a visa to go to the UK  and then from the UK she would make her way to the USA.
The woman was interviewed in Nigeria and said that she was just so many weeks pregnant but didn't have any medical evidence to prove it and looking at her she was either a liar or just very ignorant.    Anyway the visa was refused and she was denied entry into the UK so there was no subsequent problem in the UK or USA.

When anyone from this country has a holiday outside of the EU then common sense would say that you take out an insurance policy to cover any medical emergencies that you may have in the country that you are visiting.    So isn't it fair that any visitor to this country does the same?

Blongb

• Ad Free Member
  • I love living in Llandudno
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
The Lady should have been put in a Taxi and sent straight round to the Nigerian Embassy. Your problem not ours.  &shake&
-- Now I can only sit and stare--