Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 174256 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 09:03:44 am »
I find Fire Fox is about the best, not least because they're so rigorous in installing patches and upgrades .
Yes, although I do like Google Chrome as well. I've noticed, however, that Chrome crashes very occasionally, usually when the Flash plugin starts playing up.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 09:08:38 am »
One thing I do, however, is to use different browsers for different things. Thus, all our banking is done on one browser, which is used for nothing else.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:37 am »
That's a good idea.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »
I'm on AOL and haven't got the faintest idea what browser I'm using!

brumbob

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 01:35:08 pm »
click on http://findmebyip.com/#target-selector and it will tell you  :)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »
Re: Computer security

I use Norton for no other reason than that was part of the package when I bought our first PC in the days of "Freeserve" now Orange of course.

Currently following updates/upgrades I have Norton 360 but in the last week, warnings have kept appearing suggesting my security is at risk because I do not have "Sonar advanced protection". I have clicked on the "FIX" space and it tells me to go through a procedure that seems to involve uninstalling the present security and subsequently installing a new Norton version.

I am told that I have 115 days left before renewing my subscription and had already decided to change to possibly one of the free systems ie AVG or Avast when expiry comes.

Searching online about "Sonar advanced protection", there are sites containing complaints about the issue with one saying that he/she uninstalled and installed the new version with no improvement. There is also comment that it is not always easy to uninstall Norton if you want to end your relationship.

When I tried to login to "My Account" my password was not accepted and a new one was arranged. Initially it worked OK but today it doesn't and I can't seem to get the "forgot your password" procedure to work. I will keep trying as the sooner I can now uninstall and replace Norton with something else, the better.

Does anyone else on the Forum have Norton and if so what is your experience?

Yorkie

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41:10 pm »
Have you had this reply from MS?

Norton 360 does not work correctly with the RC because Symantec refuses to update the program for the RC. They have stated that they will only update the program for Windows 7 once Microsoft releases the final version. In the mean time, might I suggest some freeware that works great with Windows 7 such as Avast at http://www.avast.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also check this:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20100225152418EN&ln=en_US

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
No Yorkie, but I did see on one of the sites mentioned in my previous post that some one else had. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:47 pm »
 $walesflag$ I bought a Toshiba laptop a couple of years back. It had Windows Vista loaded. I found this even worse than all the other Windows rubbish (My main computer is a Mac) so I loaded UBUNTU which I'd seen on some netbooks. This Linux operating system is brilliant and not only does it mean I have no problems with viruses, it means all the software is downloadable free using the Ubuntu Software Centre standard with the OS. Some industry standard programmes are available for Ubuntu, including my Browser, Firefox and my e mail, Thunderbird.

I'd recommend the whole package unreservedly.

<:<:<:<  Mike.
Micox

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:46 pm »
I've just changed from Orange to BT Total Broadband option 1  which seems to be working faster than Orange here in Penrhyn Bay (around 1.8Mb)  One odd thing is that now if I watch Youtube on Internet Explorer the video comes through fine but the sound is distorted,(it wasn't on Orange) if I click on a Youtube link on this forum ( in I E ), then it's perfect, if I use Firefox its no problem either (which is what I will do)  It seems like BT is deliberately distorting the sound in I E, could that be the case? (I'm gradually changing over to Firefox anyway, it's remembering all the passwords  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Paddy

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 10:34:32 pm »
I've just changed from Orange to BT Total Broadband option 1  which seems to be working faster than Orange here in Penrhyn Bay (around 1.8Mb)  One odd thing is that now if I watch Youtube on Internet Explorer the video comes through fine but the sound is distorted,(it wasn't on Orange) if I click on a Youtube link on this forum ( in I E ), then it's perfect, if I use Firefox its no problem either (which is what I will do)  It seems like BT is deliberately distorting the sound in I E, could that be the case? (I'm gradually changing over to Firefox anyway, it's remembering all the passwords  :laugh:

Geek!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
yes it's all Geek to me ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

brumbob

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:51 pm »
I'm gradually changing over to Firefox anyway, it's remembering all the passwords
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Importing%20favorites%20and%20other%20data%20from%20Internet%20Explorer

I actually use Whisper 32 to save and backup all my passwords, it's free and you can also password protect your password list.
http://whisper-32.software.informer.com/

Yorkie

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:27 am »
Why have loads of passwords?

I have one general password that I use for such as the Forum and programs that are of no consequence to anyone else.

I then have 3 or 4 important passwords for banking and any other secure application.

All my passwords have letters and numbers so not easily deciphered and easily remembered by me.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 10:04:17 am »
That seems to be the most sensible thing to do.  One good way of devising a nigh-unhackable password is to use the second line of the favourite song of your teenage years, and make the password the first letter of each word, alternating upper and lower case and insert your mother's co-op dividend number in the middle.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.