Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228830 times)

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #6015 on: September 04, 2017, 10:49:51 am »
 Is it Green Wood at Port Dinorwick

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6016 on: September 04, 2017, 11:46:29 am »
That's a very good guess Spotty dog and not far away from where the posters are.

There is woodland where the posters but don't let the word green throw you as there is a twist there.          ???           $walesflag$     $welsh$

This photo should clinch it

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6017 on: September 04, 2017, 02:00:53 pm »
Last clue, so let's recap:-

It's near the old mill road

It's on an old Welsh  green lane

Halt at the old mill and look across to see the posters

Now where  exactly are they?                   $walesflag$                 $welsh$

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6018 on: September 04, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »
Griffiths Crossing or possibly Treborth ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6019 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:19 pm »
Another good guess Meleri and you're very near but not near enough I'm afraid.

It's a Welsh name so have a think about the clues so far        $walesflag$

Offline Meleri

« Reply #6020 on: September 04, 2017, 04:02:15 pm »
Last try Lon Gwyrfai  :-[

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6021 on: September 04, 2017, 04:17:00 pm »
I'm afraid that that's not correct Meleri but thanks for trying.     I'm expecting some flack for my clues but I'll take my dog for a walk now and will post the answer later.

Minus 3 points for Gwynant who has driven past, walked past and taken a photo of the place and my clues Cymraeg have not helped him either.          >?>??

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6022 on: September 04, 2017, 07:42:41 pm »
This photo is of the A4244  Felin Hen Road and the cottages on the left are in the village of Felin Hen.    Just past the cottages is a buttress from the old railway bridge and that has been replaced by the girder bridge which goes over the road to Glasinfryn and at the end of the bridge on the right are the numerous posters.

I did the old railway walk from Bethesda to Bangor a few weeks ago and after Tregarth the track comes to Felin Hen Railway Station.   In latter years this station was downgraded from a Station to a Halt
The disused railway track has been improved and is now part of Lon Las Ogwen    which crosses the girder bridge on it's way to Glasinfryn and Porth Penrhyn

The clues which are in English were translated from their original Welsh names
Lon Las Ogwen   =       Ogwen green lane             $walesflag$
Felin   Hen          =       Old Mill                             $walesflag$

On top of the Railway Buttress are numerous items from the old railways history

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6023 on: September 04, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »
Sorry Hugo, I was following the kiddies nature trail theme, from the original photo's, never got close.   :( :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6024 on: September 04, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
That's ok Steve,  I knew that you would be busy following the clues up but I couldn't make it too easy, especially as Gwynant has done the walk recently.

I put the green lane bit in because I thought that some may think that Lon Las Ogwen means the Ogwen blue lane and it would throw people off the scent.
When I was younger I always thought that Ffordd Las meant Blue Road but it means Green Road and is typical of the old Welsh names

"Lôn Las Ogwen is a 17.7 km (11.0 mi) cycle route in the National Cycle Network which runs south from the NCN 5 at Porth Penrhyn on the north coast of Wales to Llyn Ogwen in Snowdonia. Lôn Las Ogwen is Welsh for "Green Lane".

From Porth Penrhyn to Penrhyn Quarry it follows the former Penrhyn Quarry Railway trackbed. After Tregarth the route climbs about 700 ft. to Ogwen Cottage.[1]"

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6025 on: September 04, 2017, 11:00:35 pm »
         You got me there Hugo, we did the walk the week after the tunnel  opened shortly after Easter or Whit I think and I never noticed the posters on the bridge then. I was watching the football tonight and didn't see the pic of the house you posted with all the railway memorabilia which I instantly recognised  till after the match. I must pay more attention to the "clues cymraeg" in future!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6026 on: September 05, 2017, 08:02:06 am »
Perhaps the posters weren't there when you did your walk Gwynant as they did look very new but it makes a change as you always guess correctly.
It is a great walk though and we plan to do it again but  in Winter when the leaves are off the trees as the viaduct in Glasinfryn looks very impressive but it was hidden by the trees when we went past

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6027 on: September 05, 2017, 09:27:40 am »
     I certainly didn't see them Hugo so that might have been the case.  It is an interesting walk, very much improved by the renovated tunnel, which gives access to great views downstream of the Afon Ogwen which were not previously available. The other thing that struck me was the brickwork on the arches of the bridges over the path between Tregarth and the Railway Cottage, the bricks seem to have been laid diagonally across the  arch roofs, perhaps for extra strength? 
          The walk from the centre of Bethesda to the Zipwire through the woods by the river is a nice walk too, along the quaintly named "Wil Cwac Cwac" footpath!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6028 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:24 pm »
We must have missed the Wil Cwac Cwac footpath when we followed the narrow gauge quarry lines so next time we'll include it in the walk.
Those tunnels and bridges are really interesting bits of Victorian architecture, plenty of work there for Brickies in those days

Offline Meleri

« Reply #6029 on: September 05, 2017, 03:55:15 pm »
Top marks for that one Hugo, had us all foxed  $good$