Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228461 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #765 on: February 17, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
Is it the disused branch railway line at Dyserth?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #766 on: February 17, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »
Yes, that's the one.        &well&

It's the Prestatyn to Dyserth line that was a passenger route as well as for transporting rock from Dyserth quarry.  I think the line closed about 1973 although the quarry continued to work after that time.
When I lived in the village they used too much powder one day and sent rocks up in the air which landed up to half a mile away. In fact one rock went through my neighbours roof!     :(

Yorkie

« Reply #767 on: February 23, 2011, 11:52:26 am »
Colourful architecture - but where?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #768 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:51 pm »
Have you been on your hols again Yorkie?    I don't know what it is but I'll have a pop at Albufeira.     ???

Yorkie

« Reply #769 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »
Well you're right on both counts, but where specifically in Albufeira?

brumbob

« Reply #770 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:27 pm »
The Marina

Offline Hugo

« Reply #771 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:41 pm »
I'll second that Brumbob.          D)

Albufeira marina is on the western outskirts of the town - you can't really miss it as all the buildings and apartments are painted in blue, pink, orange, green and yellow squares! There are rows of shops along the road behind the marina and some bars and restaurants along the marina itself. It is a brilliant place to spend an afternoon, have a drink or a meal, or just sit in the sun and watch the boats and people strolling by. If you go for nothing else, go to see the amazing colours of the buildings! There are also some interesting dolphin statues raised on poles along the marina walkway and each has been individually decorated with a different design.

Yorkie

« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:23 pm »
The Marina is correct, except that it is the dead hole of Albufeira!   A complete white elephant!   The day I took the picture the wife and I were the only people in the road and sat alone in the only cafe.  It is now full of empty shops awating new owners.   Like many Marinas it is full of loads of expensive floating plastic that never goes anywhere.    They can't even let the Flats and Apartments in the Summer at daft uneconomic rates.   The bright colours will, I'm afraid, deteriorate in time.     Z**
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:14:31 am by Yorkie »

Yorkie

« Reply #773 on: February 24, 2011, 08:58:55 am »
Another Albufeira quest!  It is very difficult.  

What Horse and famous person are associated with this old cottage on the cliff-top overlooking the beach and sea?

DaveR - this one is right up your street!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:15:05 pm by Yorkie »

Yorkie

« Reply #774 on: February 24, 2011, 04:29:34 pm »
A clue - there is also an association with a well known agent. So we now need three answers:-

The Horse - The Person - The Agent   The year 1963 may help!

HP is a non-saucy clue!

The address is 13 Praca Miguel Bombarda which won't help one iota!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:20:37 pm by Yorkie »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #775 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »
Dave,  just don't rise to this,,,,
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #776 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:30 am »
Seems that I will have to let you out of your misery ( not that you will be miserable) and produce the answer.

The Horse (heroin) is "Under Water" - The Person is Len Deighton - The Agent is Harry Palmer (HP)

This is the Cottage where Len Deighton conceived and (apparently) wrote Horse Under Water.  The novel is set in 1960, mostly in a small fishing village in Portugal (Albufeira), which was then a dictatorship led by António de Oliveira Salazar.

In common with several of Deighton's other early novels, the chapter headings have a "feature". In Horse Under Water these are crossword puzzle clues, reflecting the protagonist's habit of endlessly writing and replacing words in crossword puzzles.

The first edition of Horse Under Water published by Jonathan Cape was shorter than the later Penguin edition, which included a detailed description of the anonymous British agent's diving course, and also introduced characters later seen in the book, such as Chief Petty Officer Edwardes.

The plot centres on retrieving items from a Type XXI U-boat sunk off the Portuguese coast in the last days of World War II. Initially, the items are forged British and American currency, for financing a revolution in Portugal on the cheap. Later, it switches to heroin (the "Horse" of the title), and eventually it is revealed that the true interest is in the "Weiss list" — a list of Britons prepared to help the Third Reich set up a puppet government in Britain, should Germany prevail. Thrown into the mix is secret "ice melting" technology, which could be vital to the missile submarines then beginning to hide under the Arctic sea ice.

brumbob

« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »
oh yeah, of course  ?{}?

so where does 1963 fit in  ???

Yorkie

« Reply #778 on: February 25, 2011, 01:28:26 pm »
Publication date of book!   Q.E.D.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:09 pm »
is this some of that shakespeare stuff? 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas