Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229248 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #1935 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »
Is that in the garden of the monastary at Penmon, over on Anglesey?

Monastary may be the wrong word, church or priory perhaps.... but I was there recently, and the wishing well type thingy, St Seiriols?.. in the garden by the lake looks just like that.

I believe that the structure was only built in Victorian times, but the well itself dates back almost 1000 years.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1936 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »
St Seiriol's Well I think it is called.

Seiriol was an early 6th century saint, who created a cell at Penmon Priory on Anglesey, off the coast of north Wales. He later moved to Ynys Seiriol (Puffin Island). He was a son of King Owain Danwyn of Rhos.

According to legend, he and Saint Cybi were good friends, and would meet weekly near Llanerchymedd, at the Clorach wells. Saint Cybi would walk from Holyhead, facing the rising sun in the morning and setting sun in the evening. Saint Cybi was known as Cybi Felyn (Cybi the Tanned), as he was tanned during his journey. Seiriol, travelling in the opposite direction, from Penmon, would have his back to the sun. Thus, he was known as Seiriol Wyn (Seiriol the Fair). Rhyd-y-Saint railway station (English: Ford of the Saints railway station) on the Red Wharf Bay branch line near Pentraeth, was named so as Seiriol and Cybi are said to have met there.

Seiriol was a younger brother of King Cynlas of Rhos and King Einion of Llŷn. His cell at Penmon is said to have been rebuilt by his brothers, as they didn't think his humble residence was good enough. St Seiriol's Well (Ffynnon Seiriol) lies in a small chamber adjoining its remains. Both are protected by Cadw, the publicly-funded body responsible for the historic monuments of Wales. Adjacent to them are the church and ruins of a monastery also dating back to Seiriol's day.

In his old age, Seiriol retired to Ynys Lannog which subsequently became known (in Welsh) as Ynys Seiriol. Later it would be known to the Vikings as Priestholm, and is known as Puffin Island in English since the 19th century.

Saint Seiriol is commemorated 1 February in both the Roman Catholic Church and Orthodox Churches.

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1937 on: July 04, 2012, 09:50:06 pm »
Thanks for the additional info Nem,  I love it there, its so peaceful..... I get to go to such places so rarely.

I am so envious when I read those amazing walks of Hugo, Jack and the others....

This is why it makes such a change for me to know the answer to a quiz question on here,  (well I hope I'm right!)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1938 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:48 pm »
It's such a peaceful and relaxing setting and worth the visit to see it and the other buildings nearby.  I think that the original cell may have been on the left of the 1st photo.

A friend of mine had an embarrassing time when he went to the well. He bent over it to throw a small coin in and as he did so a pound coin fell out of his pocket into the water. He needed the pound coin so he rolled up his sleeves and pulled it out of the water but prayed that no one had seen him do it just in case they thought that he was pinching the money that people had left.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1939 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:31 am »
I was quite correct - it didn't last long.  Congrats to all and thanks for all the additional information.   I won't put a picture of the Dove Cote on and ask the question because I suspect you will all know that also!!   
 $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1940 on: July 05, 2012, 05:05:26 pm »
This is all that is left of this property and the person who lived there was born of a poor family but was very generous in later life.

What was their name and what did they do?

It's in N Wales but that's the only clue today seeing as I was rumbled by Jack!

It's only easy if you know it, otherwise it's hard.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1941 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:20 pm »
If Jack can find the location of the cottage it may help but on the other hand it may not!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1942 on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:12 am »

It's only easy if you know it, otherwise it's hard.

A really profound statement Hugo!    L0L

I haven't a clue having seen so many derelict cottages dotted around the country, it could be any one of them!  I'll have a bash at somewhere in Anglesey!  Mr Jones and Family and he was a basket maker.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jack

« Reply #1943 on: July 06, 2012, 08:50:09 am »
I really don't have a clue but will take a wild guess!
Is the property 'Ysgwrn' the home of Hedd Wyn the poet?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1944 on: July 06, 2012, 09:16:37 am »
That's true Yorkie and it's a hard one but I'll try and help as much as possible.

Jack, it's not correct and I haven't had a walk in the area where I took the photo.

We are looking for a woman, she came from a humble background and went to work in Old Colwyn as a domestic servant in the 1800's

The cottage and the legacy she left are within 5 miles from the 3 towns area

Her husband was called Charles and not Jack

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1945 on: July 06, 2012, 09:45:50 am »
Would it be Eleanor Frost we're looking for, Hugo?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1946 on: July 06, 2012, 09:54:03 am »
I thought that it would have lasted longer than that but well done Dave.   Did you get it from the clues or the picture?
The cottage is on the left about a mile from Bryn Y Maen and the legacy she left was the church in Bryn Y Maen

The Cathedral of the Hills built of limestone by Eleanor Frost in 1897 in memory of her husband Charles Frost, JP of Caernarvonshire and HIgh Sheriff. Eleanor born of a local poor family became a domestic servant of the Frost family who lived in Old Colwyn eventually marrying their son Charles. By then a formidable weatthy woman he also bequeathed her £24000, she spent more than this on the church still leaving £31000 at her death

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1947 on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:37 am »
It was the clues that gave me the idea. Is that cottage not far from a crossroads about a mile past Bryn Y Maen?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1948 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:41 am »
Too many clues there then Dave, but it is that cottage that you have mentioned.   We've driven past it many times  and watched it slowly deteriorating.
It has been painted and drawn by many people over the years and we have a sketch of it that my wife drew about 25 years ago.   Apparently the story goes that Eleanor when she was a young girl said that if she ever had enough money she would like to build a church for the village and years later she was able to do just that

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1949 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:24 am »
Where is this Cromlech in Wales?

It's an easy one this time and the clue is that it is located in a place beginning with the letter   "LL"