Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229442 times)

Offline 1_rob_1

Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #2115 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »
Is it st Catherine's island in Tenby???

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2116 on: September 11, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »
Well done rob. I thought Hugo would be first on that one!

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #2117 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »
I must celebrate, Ive got one right at last.   Z**

Jack:
The polar bear was once part of Whitby's Christmas decorations & was put on a raft in the water covered in lights. It was put where it is for a change one year - - & never removed. (probably forgotten about).

Offline Jack

« Reply #2118 on: September 11, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »
Jack:
The polar bear was once part of Whitby's Christmas decorations & was put on a raft in the water covered in lights. It was put where it is for a change one year - - & never removed. (probably forgotten about).

Thanks for that Rob, had me wondering! Don't tell Wrex though as he will want it for Llandudno's Xmas lights  ;D

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2119 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:53 am »
               Where is this beautiful summer scene? I am not sure if the object in the foreground is an old fishtrap or the wreckage of an old boat.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2120 on: September 12, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »
On the Menai Strait in Anglesey, or the coast of it anyway almost opposite Plas Menai Sailing School.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2121 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:09 pm »
It's not the one you are thinking of Yorkie at Moel Y Don but that's Llanddwyn Island in the foreground with the Llyn Peninsula behind it
It's a ship wreck on the beach at Traeth Penrhos in Newborough and before Hollins can get out her Carl Rogers book on the Anglesey Coastal path the picture is on pg 70
As you got from that wooden wreck to the Island look out to sea and you may see a girder sticking up. That is the remains of another ship wreck it's like a metal skeleton standing in about 20 foot of water and about 200 yards out. Last time I was walking there I swam out to the wreck.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2122 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »
         Well done Hugo, ( brave attempt Yorkie!), absolutely correct as usual. It was a fantastic summer's day in early August and we parked the car by the bridge over the Cefni in Malltraeth then walked along the embankment to the estuary and round onto Traeth Penrhos. Not a soul to be seen anywhere except one guy digging for bait until we crossed the causeway and onto Llanddwyn Beach and then the whole world and his dog seemed to be there! We walked round the Island and then back into Newborough Forest emerging at the church at Newborough, down into the village and then caught the bus back to Malltraeth for a pint at the Joiner's Arms. A good walk taking in sea, fields and forestry (and sun on the day!) and no discernible  inclines to speak of. Thanks for clearing up the matter of the mystery object in the photo. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2123 on: September 12, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »
The inside of a nice little Church but where is it and what is the name of the Church?       This will be slightly easier for some!     $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2124 on: September 13, 2012, 10:23:53 am »
It's not a very old Church but the purpose of building it was quite appropriate in view of the name of the town!        $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2125 on: September 13, 2012, 12:45:04 pm »
The town's name has a link to both the land and the sea and that's true it's not a red Herring!         $walesflag$     $welsh$

I'm looking for the name of the Church too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2126 on: September 13, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »
It reminds me of the Mediterranean in more ways than one so how could anyone walk past the Church and not go in?   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2127 on: September 13, 2012, 07:54:25 pm »
The town reminds me of a town in North Wales but without the fish?          $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2128 on: September 14, 2012, 09:00:05 am »
No guesses!   this must be hard, but the town's been in the news this week when a well known globetrotter and roving reporter posted a photo of the Church on the internet.               $walesflag$

No more clues until tonight because I'm off walking now and if no one has guessed it by then, then  there will be an easy clue tonight   $walesflag$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2129 on: September 14, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »
Is it a plaice near here? :twoface:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.