Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1242276 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4050 on: May 31, 2014, 08:41:06 pm »
The quotation is from Psalms 95:5, and I believe the Place must be Caergwrle Castle in Flintshire.  That's my first inclination.   The Castle was given to Quern Eleanor or built for her by Edward. 

Thank you for your other kind comments!   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4051 on: May 31, 2014, 10:44:45 pm »
Yorkie,  you're very close in what you have said about  Lady Eleanor's building    It isn't a castle but is very near one in Conwy County.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4052 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:51 am »
Good views in both directions from this lofty building

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4053 on: June 01, 2014, 10:09:50 am »
What it looks like from the side you don't see.      ???

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4054 on: June 01, 2014, 10:34:05 am »
                I think it's the tower/turret high on the hill above the turn-off for Rhyd-y-Foel in Llandulas looking down on the old Beefeater Club and I think it's in the north western corner of the grounds of Gwrych Castle. I look forward to reading the details of this walk Hugo as I have just had my hip replaced and am looking forward to getting out and about again after a few weeks R & R, and some of your walks are just the job.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4055 on: June 01, 2014, 11:03:53 am »
Well done Gwynant,  it is Lady Eleanor's Tower and is a listed building.      &well&

Lady Eleanor's Tower, Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel
 Strikingly located on a wooded crag, set back from and above the road; approximately 750m W of Gwrych Castle.

History
 Early C20; constructed for Countess Dundonald of Gwrych Castle and one of the last of a number of folly towers, gates and similar erections built on the estate from c1819 until the beginning of the first war. Traditionally said to have been built by the grieving countess in 1915 to commemorate the loss of her son at sea.

Exterior
 Square tower of two-and-a-half stages; of local limestone rubble on rock foundations. Segmentally-headed window openings to N E and W with access to the S; large corner crenellations give fictive battlements.

Reason for Listing
 Included as a striking folly tower on the Gwrych estate, part of this nationally important Picturesque composition.

I hope that your hip operation has been a great success and that you are now free from any pain.  I know people that have had it done and been very pleased with the results.   We did the walk which was a bit of an exploration too as we visited the caves at Tan Yr Ogof too.    Will be posting that asap after our trip now to B & Q.         Hope that you have a swift recovery.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4056 on: June 01, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »
That was interesting Hugo. I must have a closer look next time I am passing. I can't say I had really noticed it before.
I too would like to send my best wishes to Gwynant for a speedy recovery. Hope you will soon be out walking again and setting us some tricky quiz questions!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4057 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:15 pm »
Yorkie, I'm sorry for the mistake in not giving you the credit for winning the last quiz, so in order to atone for my error I am giving a clue for you only.

You have driven past this place!         ^*^0

Never driven past it in my life!    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4058 on: June 01, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »
               Thank you for your good wishes Hugo and Hollins, much appreciated. While I'm on the subject I should like to record my appreciation and thanks to all the staff concerned in Yspyti Gwynedd, from the consultant surgeons and anaesthetists right on through to the nurses. The whole procedure went absolutely like clockwork and the aftercare, both in the hospital and also follow-up home calls by district nurses for dressing changes, soutre removal etc, and then the physio appointments in Llandudno General Hospital, all arranged by the hospital follow-up staff were "as it says on the tin". You hear so much in the media about the downside of current healthcare, some of it undeniably warranted, but my recent experience in Yspyty Gwynedd was a testament to all that's good and positive in the NHS.   

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4059 on: June 01, 2014, 04:52:49 pm »
Glad to hear that all was well! In a couple of hours Er indoors goes into Glan Clwyd for a breast cancer op (mastectomy !) caught early they say, but still an anxious time! The care so far has been excellent!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #4060 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:34 pm »
Best wishes to Mrs ME - hope all goes well for her

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4061 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:58 pm »
                I think it's the tower/turret high on the hill above the turn-off for Rhyd-y-Foel in Llandulas looking down on the old Beefeater Club 

Was it once also called the Oasis Club about 40 years ago?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4062 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »
Glad to hear that all was well! In a couple of hours Er indoors goes into Glan Clwyd for a breast cancer op (mastectomy !) caught early they say, but still an anxious time! The care so far has been excellent!

Please accept our best wishes and prayers for Mrs M.E. tonight,  I am certain that all will be well.   $good$
Let her know we are thinking about her.

The Festers.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4063 on: June 01, 2014, 10:51:51 pm »
Thanks for that Fester, I will!  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4064 on: June 02, 2014, 01:17:52 pm »
                I think it's the tower/turret high on the hill above the turn-off for Rhyd-y-Foel in Llandulas looking down on the old Beefeater Club 

Was it once also called the Oasis Club about 40 years ago?
It was called TTs at one time, and was owned by a Lecturer from Llandrillo College.