Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1229401 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4410 on: September 23, 2014, 08:34:38 pm »
No sorry.... not well known as a smithie, nor as a mining area, and its not that far away...

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4411 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »
Is it Llechwedd?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4412 on: September 23, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »
No sorry Hugo, but I suspect you might have walked passed this place on one of your local hikes.
and it is near water...were does the stream run into,the house is a private farm, but the area is well known.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4413 on: September 24, 2014, 08:48:23 am »
Is it Tyn-y-Groes, by the Old Mill.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4414 on: September 24, 2014, 09:30:29 am »
No sorry Yorkie,   The stream runs into a large body of water, and the area was mined for lead a long time ago. possible not known for this, however the water and the lead are connected, not in a good way.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4415 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:44 am »
I'm still looking at the Gwydr Forest area and there are a number of places affected by lead poisoning there.    Llyn Gerionydd for one which was poisoned by the Pandora Mine but I can't see the cottages there so I'm still looking,    ?{}?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4416 on: September 24, 2014, 10:16:10 am »
Well done Hugo, spot on, most photos are taken from the other end of the Llyn, but the farm is/was well known to walkers, as the footpath goes through the farmyard.
A bit of interesting trivia, I lived in the house you can just see, in the top left corner, for 15 years, and when I said the farm was "well known to walkers" I meant it, the old lady who lived there, would talk to the people passing and there was always tea on the go, Laura who never left the farm in over 80 years, apart from a weekly trip to Llanrwst , never the less received between 400/500 Xmas cards every year, from every part of the world.

Well done again... $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4417 on: September 24, 2014, 10:44:53 am »
I've been walking there a lot over the years but still didn't recognise the building although I must have gone past many times, so good question Steve     $good$
About 40 years ago I was camping in the area behind the picnic tables and had a long and interesting chat with the farmer who lived in the farm at the south western tip of the lake.   It was him who told me about the lake being poisoned by the lead mine but added that the water south of the picnic area was of good quality and there were many trout in that area.
He told me that he loved the quality of life he had there and how he used to catch Rabbits and Fish
Years later I spoke to a diver at the other end of the lake and he had been taking photos of the bottom of the lake and confirmed that all the vegetation in that area of the lake was dead

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4418 on: September 24, 2014, 11:03:11 am »
Hi Hugo, I am pleased to tell you, that in the 90s, we started seeing nesting ducks,more fish and even some plant life around the edges, so there is hope..... despite the jet skis. WWW

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4419 on: September 24, 2014, 02:29:20 pm »
Yes, it looked healthier when we went past this year and we saw this old boat amongst the reeds there and it looked like it had been there for a while.
I've just checked Google earth and the Farmer we talked to, lived in the farmhouse on the left of your photo.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #4420 on: September 24, 2014, 02:46:48 pm »
That I think would have been Arthur, Laura's nephew, he taught me a lot about the countryside, dry stone walling, I did quite a bit up there, also different trees for different jobs, I had to fence in a very marshy area, and was going to buy some pre treated posts, he took me to a willow tree, and cut branches untill we had enough, I thought they were to thin, but we did the job, a few weeks later I noticed the willow poles had taken root and were growing, just needed pruned now and again, but no rot. clever man, I missed him when he died.
PS   I take some of the credit for the reeds, I transplanted quite a few from a small lake upstream.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4421 on: September 25, 2014, 07:55:57 pm »
Where in North Wales will you see this and what was it used for?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4422 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:17 pm »
         It's in the Ice Tower in Penrhyn Castle, Hollins, and ice was poured down the grid to keep food cool in the chamber below and then the plug put back to cover it. You must have forgotten that I went there on the Open Day two weeks ago and posted how much I enjoyed it!   WWW  WWW
         Thank you and also Hugo for your kind words about my return to walking in the mountains.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4423 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:36 pm »
Well done Gwynant! No, I hadn't forgotten that you had been there. In fact your post is the reason I went there myself and what a place. I cannot believe I had never been there before so thank you for the idea.
I was quite surprised that they did not mind photos being taken inside so I will post some on the Exploring the Area page as you have already shown how lovely the garden is.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4424 on: September 26, 2014, 06:43:58 pm »
Where did I see this on a walk today?