Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1228381 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #4785 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:02 am »
I saw these in an old cottage that I went to on Wednesday but where was the cottage in N Wales?     $walesflag$     $welsh$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4786 on: February 06, 2015, 12:56:35 pm »
It's near an old chapel.      $walesflag$      popeth Cymraeg       $welsh$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4787 on: February 06, 2015, 02:45:50 pm »
Here's another photo of the Chapel which is in a village that was once a port?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4788 on: February 06, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
                Nant Gwrtheyrn, Hugo. The Popeth Cymraeg clue gave it away and when  I Googled it there was a picture of it on the Home Page. I visited it 10 years ago when they were doing up the village and it looks very different now, time for another visit!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4789 on: February 06, 2015, 03:53:15 pm »
I knew that you would get it Gwynant although I did crop the first photo of the Chapel as it showed Port Dinllaen and that would have given the game away.     &well&
Clues Cymraeg do help sometimes!    $walesflag$

It's over 40 years since I walked down and back up there and the village was just in ruins.   They have really done an excellent job  and there is still  a lot of work going on there at the moment.
The place was called Port Nant at one time and boats from Liverpool and other ports used to call there for the granite.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4790 on: February 06, 2015, 05:03:02 pm »
Where in North Wales is this quarry, what is it known as and what are the buildings in the foreground used for? I am going out to watch the Wales-England game tonight so I won't be able to reply to any guesses between about 1930 and 2230.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4791 on: February 06, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »
I knew that you would get it Gwynant although I did crop the first photo of the Chapel as it showed Port Dinllaen and that would have given the game away.     &well&
Clues Cymraeg do help sometimes!    $walesflag$

It's over 40 years since I walked down and back up there and the village was just in ruins.   They have really done an excellent job  and there is still  a lot of work going on there at the moment.
The place was called Port Nant at one time and boats from Liverpool and other ports used to call there for the granite.

We too walked down and back probably about the same time, found it in a book called Hidden Haunts which I still have, be it very dog eared. Our daughter thought we were trying to kill her, the hill is very steep !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4792 on: February 07, 2015, 09:32:04 am »
      No guesses at the location of the quarry so here's a few clues:-
1) The English translation of the nearby area has a bleak-sounding ring to it, as does the sound you can regularly hear from an essential building half a mile away.
2) It is a few hundred metres from a park where some expensive-sounding animals were kept in days gone by.
3) It is within 10 miles of the three towns area.
4) Hugo, Jack, Dave.R. and maybe Mr.& Mrs Hollins must have walked past it, but maybe didn't see it.
5) The business in the buildings has changed hands recently and is doing very well now with new contracts to provide locally sourced produce.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4793 on: February 07, 2015, 09:52:47 am »
Llanddulas?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4794 on: February 07, 2015, 11:49:20 am »
        Not Llandulas Bri, although it is on the coast but here's another picture clue. This is half a mile away from the site.

Offline hollins

« Reply #4795 on: February 07, 2015, 01:24:11 pm »
Is it Penmon limestone quarry?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4796 on: February 07, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »
     You are in the right area Hollins, but it is not the old limestone quarry with the old kilns and the loading quay that is on the Menai Straits side of Penmon Point. What is the name of the this quarry and what is being produced in the buildings?  The attached photos give you a bigger view of the site.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4797 on: February 07, 2015, 03:17:26 pm »
Is it Dinmor Quarry ? There is a Sea Bass fish farm there.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4798 on: February 07, 2015, 04:07:14 pm »
      No guesses at the location of the quarry so here's a few clues:-
1) The English translation of the nearby area has a bleak-sounding ring to it, as does the sound you can regularly hear from an essential building half a mile away.
2) It is a few hundred metres from a park where some expensive-sounding animals were kept in days gone by.
3) It is within 10 miles of the three towns area.
4) Hugo, Jack, Dave.R. and maybe Mr.& Mrs Hollins must have walked past it, but maybe didn't see it.
5) The business in the buildings has changed hands recently and is doing very well now with new contracts to provide locally sourced produce.
   Well done Meleri, it is Dinmor Quarry. It is slightly west of Trwyn Du (Black Point, the bleak-sounding area and the ringing sound is the bell which chimes regularly on the lighthouse), and next to the Deer Park (expensive sounding animals), 8 miles from Llandudno (as the crow flies), and the Sea Bass Fish Farm has new owners and is now known as Anglesey Aquaculture and has won a big contract with Waitrose to supply them. You don't see it until you walk right to the edge of the quarry.
   Last Wednesday we walked from Llangoed down past Aberlleiniog Castle to the Straits and then round on the coastal path to Penmon and then on up to Mariandyrys and Bwrdd Arthur before returning to the car in Llangoed. It was a beautiful day with great views of the Carneddau and Glyders and it looked like it was nice back home in Llandudno across Conway Bay from there too. (See attached photo and also one of a robin which came to watch us eating our butties!}       

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4799 on: February 07, 2015, 05:39:34 pm »
Thanks for that information Gwynant, I shall add it to our list of intended walks for when the weather warms up. We have a couple of Hugo's as well.
Love the picture of the well fed Robin, hope you gave him something.  $good$